Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite souvenir from New Orleans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Sheila

I am going to New Orleans in March for the first time. I always love to buy something to help me remember my vacations. What is your favorite souvenir from New Orleans? I usually like to pick up a Christmas ornament from each city. Are there any good shops anyone can suggest for an ornament? Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:52 AM
otis

a hangover.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:54 AM
frieda

oooohhh...do buy a spoon with "New Orleans" on it!!!!!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Cindy

Try decorating your tree with some beads instead of looking for an ornament.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:05 PM
joan

I am usually not big on souvenirs, but NOLA is a major exception. Our B&B was near the French Market, so we couldn't resist walking by every day, picking up the beads, gorgeous masks, and cajun seasoning. We still buy gumbo file via the mail from one of the stalls there, for our restaurant. Have fun shopping!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:51 AM
xxx

Food! Tony Chachere's (sp?) seasoning, Community Coffee, Zapps Potato Chips.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:41 AM
Larry

There's a lot of local art that is not like art you'll find anywhere else. Some is reasonably priced , others not , but there is a large variety .There was a food festival in the Quarter when my wife and I visited last summer and we bought a beautiful print which was not listed as being for sale .......

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
HealthDept

Best thing I brought back?........Herpes!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:00 AM
molly

Sheila, there's a Christmas Shop on Decatur. I think it's called Santa's Quarters & is open year round. But I think the ultimate Nawlins souvenir is the Hurricane Glass, you can have your drink in it inside & they'll box it up for you on your way out. Have a great time in my hometown, you're going at a good time weatherwise, it should be very comfortable.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:22 AM
gail

Of the masks, begnet mix,hurricane glass etc, the most memorable and well received gift seems to be the beads. They are cheaper at the outdoor market so try to wait until you see a good price. They really look nice on the tree too!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:45 AM
Donna

Two beautiful feathered, sequined masks with sticks. They can be very expensive, but if you shop around you can find them at a great price. I bought one in 97' at a shop on (I think) Decautur St. (it was close to the French Market)for like $35.00 but it looks much more expensive.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:57 AM
lisa

That would have to be the voodoo doll I got at that little voodoo shop in the Quarter. Works like a charm, too!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Cheryl

I love my hurrican glass and mardi gras doll. However, last year I bought my then 9 year old son a voodoo wish mask?a stick. The instructions say to write a wish on paper, wrap it around the mask, and pin it in place. Then, hold the stick in your hands while turning around 3 times every day until your wish comes true. (I didn't believe that, of course, but thought my son would get a kick out of it). Anyhow, we wanted a PlayStation for his birthday, and I knew he was getting one - but he didn't know. Needless to say after several weeks of turning around with this stick in his hand, he got his PlayStation. He jumped up and down saying "it really works, it really works!" I finally told him the truth and we still laugh about it.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 08:03 AM
ME

Best souvenir was the video I took back with me and three buddies during MArdi Gras. Lots of T&A and some playboy playmates.

Airfare to NO: $300
Hotel : $400
Amateur girls flashing : priceless

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:42 PM
Sheila

Thanks for all the great ideas especially the Christmas shop.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:49 PM
kmd

Some of the Mardi Gras poster prints are really fantastic. We have bought several and had them framed.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:09 PM
A.J.

The Christmas shop was great. There was a tree decorated in ornaments and beads in Mardi Gras colors - green, gold, purple. One of the clerks was nice enough to take my picture in front of it. Each Christmas I think to myself, "Wish I had all those purple, green, and gold ornaments."

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Cindy

Can anybody tell me exactly where the Christmas shop is? We'll be staying at the corner of Bourbon and Toulouse and would appreciate directions. Thanks a bunch - don't we just love purple, green and gold!?!?!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 03:10 PM
Nola

Its at 1025 Decatur. Maybe someone else can give exact directions, but you dont need them, the quarter is small you will find Decatur with no problem.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:52 PM
Sant Claus

Sounds like all you want is another christmas tree ornament. That's what you're responding to. If that's the case why bother asking the question?
Santa doesn't live in the French Quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -