Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite small town on the Oregon Coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Portland and thought that it would be fun to explore different small towns on the Oregon Coast. If you would be willing to share your favorite spots and why you like them, we promise not to tell too many people.

Thank you in advance!

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM

guess my favorite is Florence- lots of stores for shopping, several nice restaurants, no ocean views from the Old Town area- but views of the Siusilaw
River. There is a marina where you can buy fresh fish of the boats -
Just visited last week with Canadian relatives and they thought it was "charming"
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM

I'd have to say Yachats (pronounced YA-hots), a small town about half way between Newport and Florence. Very scenic, good shopping, beautiful walking trail, near Heceta Head lighthouse and Sea Lion caves.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Bandon Oregon. The lighthouse is delightful, the beach great- and a wonderful restaurant called the Wild Rose, in Old Town.Nice friendly people, also!!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Another vote for Bandon. We were there two weeks ago and LOVED it! Go on the 4th and see an amazing fireworks display for a small town.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM

If you are working your way south from Portland along the coast, Yachats, Florence, and Bandon are all excellent spots to explore. They are far enough apart to make stops at each practical. A fourth stop could well be Gold Beach, where you could take the jet boar up the Rogue River. It has some above average restaurants. One I remember is the Rod and Rell. In my opinion, the most spectacular part of the Oregon Coast is the section between Gold Beach and Brookings. Don't miss this!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Recently featured in Coastal Living magazine (I know it's not actually "on" the coast) my vote would go to Astoria. It's about ten minutes or so from the beach. This little town has won my heart over the fifteen years. www.oldoregon.com is the website and parts of the article in Coastal Living can be found at www.coastalliving.com Some of the great photos that are in the actual magazine are missing from the web article, tho.

We'll be back on the coast for a couple of weeks in a few days! ***kim***
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for the helpful replies! I can't wait!!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I really like Newport. I love that it is a working fishing town right there with the tourist shops downtown. I also like in between the junk tourist shops there are a few that are quite nice. I like its several public (free) beaches with easy access. While it always feels like a small town because I stay near the waterfront, it does have a city with big stores and chain restaurants if that is your thing.

Florence is fun, has a great little downtown too.

Spent some time in Yachats - it has about 3 nice shops and a tiny coastal village feel and some spectacular views of rocky coastline, but I wouldn't choose to spend much time there.

I like Bandon too but don't get there very often. I love being able to visit the old lighthouse and actually go UP in it. Shore Acres state park near Bandon is so pretty and has a beautiful lagoon I just wanted to build my house right there!

More than my one favorite but there are some great little spots - just don't be afraid to turn around and stop if it looks fun.

Sara