Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite Portland, Oregon, restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your favorite Portland restaurant and why?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM

We love Paley's Place, Bluehour has some pretty amazing Gnocchi with Black Truffles. ***kim***
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:45 AM

Many of us gave you suggestions in your other thread. Are you looking for something else?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Your recommendations were all wonderful on the other thread, and I thank you so much. I guess I was thinking since I asked the question under the heading of "Mt. Hood or Cannon Beach", it might have limited the responses to the restaurant question, since it wasn't in the title. Sorry to be repeating myself.
Thanks again,
Laurie
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM

Paley's Place 1204 NW 21 st street
Fenouil in the Pearl in Portland Next to Jamison Park
Le Pigeon 738 E Burnside Portland
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends what you are looking for? There are so many great restaurants. We love Henry's Tavern, Rock Bottom Brewery, Huber's, Ringside Downtown..... It really depends on how fancy or casual you want? and what kind of food? Just let me know?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A vote for Fenouil and Le Pigeon
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

We like small, quaint non-chain, not expensive restaurants. Something with a nice atmosphere. Fresh, local ingredients would be nice too. I was looking at "Lovely Hula Hands," which sounds interesting.
We leave in 3 weeks. Can't wait!
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM

Favorite Portland restaurant? Probably Sel Gris right now. Le Pigeon is right there too, but I don't know how it would fit with your "nice atmosphere" expectation.

Been to Lovely Hula Hands; good, but nothing special IMO. And a small, cramped space. For something similar, but I think better, have a look at Ned Ludd. Great little spot: http://www.nedluddpdx.com/. Then, there's Toro Bravo, a Spanish tapas restaurant. Again, maybe not what you're looking for, but still, a Portland locals' favorite: http://www.torobravopdx.com/.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Henry's Tavern is historic with consistent availability of the local specialties. If you like classic atmosphere, and you are out to try the local fish, wines, craft beers; keep Henry's on your list.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM

I agree with Beachbum, Lovely Hula Hands is ok, nothing special. Beach has recommended many great restaurants over the years. I always take his advice (and Scarletts, and mms and PDX and many other locals) and I've never been disappointed. I also love Toro Bravo.

Most of the restaurants the Portlanders have recommended buy from local farms, organic and in season.

I also want to add Lincoln and fairly new place, great food.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:27 PM

And speaking of "stumpworks" a lot of the coffee houses in Portland use Stumptown Coffee. Wonderful coffee!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Fenouil even if it is not inexpensive but you can have lunch there and it will be reasonable.. and wonderful.

Everett Street Bistro...
bluehour is not a bargain but lunches and Happy Hour can be nicely affordable ..
Paleys Place is expensive..

I loved Wildwood.. Henrys Tavern was one the the Best Bargains in town !

any of the pricier restaurants you can have lunch in and enjoy better prices..
SouthPark for seafood..
kim, you should write down some of these lists .. I remember when you went to Hula Hands, that was before we moved to Portland !

Piazza Italia right around the corner from Fenouil... wonderful lunches out on the sidewalk, fantastic Caprese Salads, dinner .. the best pasta.. all Italian owners, servers and food plus RAI TV while you eat lol ... a little wonderful bit of Italy in the Pearl District.

nanabee takes our advice because she knows we know people who know her
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I'll post a trip report when I get back.
Laurie
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
pdx

How long will you be here? A lot of these restaurants may not be expensive but they aren't cheap either. I'll try to think of a few that are really good but not really the special dinner kind of place. Lots of happy hour treats around here.
I'm not a fan of Paley's Place. I have never been thrilled when I've been there. Toro Bravo is a real flavor treat and I would highly recommend it. Nuestra Cocina is excellent. Wildwood is excellent. I agree with the others about Lovely Hula Hands. Don't know how they got so popular. Gravy is down the same street and would be a great lunch or brunch spot. Amnesia Brewery is fun, outdoor picnic tables, grilled sausages and beer, can't go too wrong there!
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM

A new restaurant near Alberta Street (actually near Killingsworth in NE) is called
Beast - www.beastpdx.com
5425 NE 30th Ave, Portland - (503) 841-6968
is fabulous. It's very small and reservations are a must.
(This was recommended by beachbum and the chef is one of the newest upcoming chefs in Portland).

Your advice Scarlett is taken because it's good
lcuy sends her best to you.
she (as always) is off on her world travels (Boston and NYC then India) She's hard to keep up with.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on Lovely Hula Hands. We will only be in Portland for 3 days. We don't want to "dress up" so we're looking for casual places -- although one night to celebrate our 30th anniversary would be nice, as long as we don't have to pack anything dressy. We want to relax.
Thanks,
Laurie
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Portland is a very casual town. There are very few restaurants here where locals feel they need to "dress up", and none of those are named on this thread.