Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is your favorite part of Kauai to stay at and why? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-your-favorite-part-of-kauai-to-stay-at-and-why-215772/)

Mindi Dec 16th, 2001 05:17 PM

What is your favorite part of Kauai to stay at and why?

I previously posted about a condo on the north shore for my parents. I am curious about where people prefer to stay when on Kauai. I am thinking of booking a trip for my parents in late spring. I know the north shore is gorgeous but gets more rain. The south is drier but less rainy...is it real busy "touristy" and not peaceful. Is the eastern shore congested and with a lot of traffic-noise? i haven't been to Kauai since 1998 and stayed on the east shore. It was easy to go north or south. When you name your favorite area please also tell me what hotel/resort/condo you like!<BR>Thanks

Tony J Dec 16th, 2001 07:09 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Kauai Marriott (south shore) for our honeymoon in the fall of 1999. The place was absolutely beautiful and would stay there again! It is conveniently located to all the major attractions and the airport. When I was there I didn't run into a lot of congestion and traffic. The north shore is beautiful (the caves, beach, lighthouse, etc.), but I think you'll find more elsewhere. However, I have to say that the Princeville Resort is one beautiful place!

Mark Dec 17th, 2001 04:38 AM

Mindi,<BR><BR>We have been to Kauai 5 times and we prefer to stay on the south shore. It is a little more quite and the resorst are wonderful. Of price is no object stay at the Hyatt, it you are looking for a condo, there are numerous ones in Poipu. We like to saty at the Pono Kai. the villas are nice well appointed, and have an interconnected walking path through the different condo areas. Yopu are a short walk from Poipu beach which is very nice. It seems very easy to get around, it takes us about an hour to get to Princeville and the north shore. I would stay away from Kapaa. The area is OK (we did stay in a WONDERFUL B&B there) but the condos and resorts are not as nice as the rest of the areas. The Marriott is also very nice, but seems somewhat close to the airport and if I am on vacation, I don't know if I want to see/hear jets while I am on the beach. No matter where they stay, I am sure that they will have a wonderful time. BTW, there is a great Italian rest. across from the entrace to the Mariott. Your parents shoud go there, I just can't remember the name! hope they have fun.

Mindi Dec 17th, 2001 10:16 AM

Mark,<BR>are you sure that the condo you stayed at is the pono kai? The pono kai is in the kapaa area. Maybe you meant poipu kai?<BR>Thanks for any info!

kal Dec 17th, 2001 12:06 PM

Alooohaaaa,<BR>In 13 more days, we will be going over to Kauai for our 10th trip.<BR><BR>We have always stayed on the East/CocoCoast in Kapaa, except for around 3yrs ago when they were remodeling our regular hotel so we stayed the final 10 days on the SoShore/Poipu.<BR><BR>The first few trips over we stayed in Kapaa because we "had" to ($$$). We now stay there because we like to. Made a few friends in that area and Poipu proved to be too far away from everything.<BR><BR>Since you've stayed there 3 yrs ago, you know a lot of "stuff" within walking distance and 30 mins to Poipu/30 to Pville and 45 to the Westside, etc.... <BR><BR>Since the hotel is located quite a bit away from the "Hwy", we never hear any street noise. We only hear the sound of the ocean since our wing is almost right on it.<BR>Some CocoCoast condos are close to the road, tho.<BR><BR>Only time we heard jets at the Marriott when we were on their golf course.<BR><BR>As usual, to each his own. At least you're there!<BR>Mucho Mahalos,<BR>Kal<BR>13...

Suzie Dec 17th, 2001 12:18 PM

20 years ago we stayed in Kapaa. I remember it being really quiet. It was within easy distance to Princeville and an ok drive to Waimea Canyon. Also very close to the Coconut marketplace and other shopping and eating establishements. This was a good thing as we had to walk many places as our rental car had cockroaches in it!<BR><BR>This past September we stayed in Poipu and we remember (and appreciated), the quiet. Being from CA, driving anywhere on Kauai was very easy and enjoyable in our convertible. The weather on the island during September was similar no matter where you were. Poipu had great restaurants, a great condo and plenty of sunshine. I imagine Princeville has all of this too!<BR><BR>Kal,<BR>13 more days? Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. It'll just be foggy when you return and you'll look out of place in "R" with that tan!!!!

MJ Dec 17th, 2001 01:05 PM

I have to admit that if I were traveling in late spring I would head straight to the northshore, but my parents, who are in their early 70's, much prefer the Poipu area. They generally stay in a condo there are enjoy Poipu for several reasons: the fairly reliable weather, the availability of walking paths that meander through a number of the resorts, the quiet, the proximity of several wonderful restaurants and the ease of getting into Lihue for the airport and shopping. They often start their day with a walk over to the Hyatt for coffee and a Wall Street Journal and this seems to start the day off right for them. They will often take a day trip up to Princeville for lunch at the Sheraton but both love being able to stay out of the car and enjoy the quiet of Poipu.<BR>None of us are big fans of the Eastern Shore. Too crazy with haphazard development and so-so swimming beaches.

roman Dec 18th, 2001 11:35 AM

I love the Poipu area. Why?? Great location and stayed at an expensive beach front house that was cheaper than any of the hotels we stayed at. If interested, contact Gloria at Gloria's B@B. She also rents out these gorgeous homes for the folk that live on the mainland. We stayed at the Amneus house and last time I checked, it was still being rented out!!