What is your favorite National Park Lodge?

Jul 20th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

What is your favorite National Park Lodge?

What are your favorite things about it? (Looking for ideas for Summer 2006)
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:47 PM

If we are speaking of the lodge itself, I have two places I like because the buildings are in good repair as well as being in places worth visiting.

They are: the higher priced cabins on the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the cabins at Bryce National Park.

Far View Inn at Mesa Verde might be a consideration also because of the location.

In the middle of the pack is the Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone. Not much of a view, but the facility is well placed near Old Faithful geyser.

Jenny Lake Lodge in the Tetons is terribly overpriced in my opinion but the view is fine.

The Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons is another one, but at $240 a night, somebody is ringing up a nice profit from a semi captive audience.

At the bottom of the stack, because of the condition of the buildings and the facilities are most of the accommodations in Glacier NP. The Paradise Lodge at Mt. Ranier is also rock bottom on my list. Tiny room, etc.

At Yellowstone, some of the Western Cabins are acceptable but I am not sure they fit the "lodge" category. Most of the rest of the cabins are a little grim.

We can argue the El Tovar at the South Rim of the GC. I have not been there in a long time. The view is unreal, but ...
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Far View Inn at Mesa Verde and Cedar Pass Lodge in the Badlands. Both because of the serenity of the location.
Also the excellent food at the restaurant at Mesa Verde!

I know this isn't a national park, but we were very impressed with the resorts in Custer State Park in South Dakota. And we like the lodges/cabins in Starved Rock State Park and Pere Marquette State Parks in Illinois.
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I should know better than to ever post without previewing first! Sorry about the odd spacing and the s on the final park.
Jul 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Bob, cabins are fine. It didn't occur to me that my wording sounded limited. I would love to hear about any NP lodging.
Jul 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM

We just returned from the Ahwahnee in Yosemite which has to be at the top of any national park lodge list. Even though Yosemite Valley was mobbed the weekend we were there, the Ahwahnee was an oasis of quiet. The public rooms are breathtaking, as was the view of Yosemite Falls from our room. I highly recommend it. If you are thinking of going, book now. They take reservations 364 days in advance.

We have also enjoyed the cabins in Bryce and at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. And while the rooms at Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton are 1950's style motel rooms, the views of the Tetons from the dining room and back terrace are amazing. There is nothing like sitting on the terrace at sunset, watching moose graze below you with Jackson Lake and the mountains in the distance.

Zion Lodge also gets my vote for the views of the canyon walls above you. We also enjoyed the Old Faithful Snow Lodge for its modern amenities with a traditional feel and its proximity to the geyser basin. You can't go wrong in any of these places.
Jul 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM

I loved the Paradise Lodge at Mt Ranier simply b/c the location felt surreal - the rooms are not great but the lobby was a wonderful place to sit and people watch - I loved hearing all the accents and seeing the serious climbers come and go as they heading out to ascend to the top...