Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is you favorite "Ugly Betty" restaurant in the US? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-you-favorite-ugly-betty-restaurant-in-the-us-652556/)

marginal_margiela Oct 12th, 2006 06:48 PM

What is you favorite "Ugly Betty" restaurant in the US?

Have you ever walked into a restaurant and did a Bette Davis, "What a dump"? However, after ordering and taking your first bite of food screamed, "This is the absolute best meal I've had in years!!!!"

Tell me about your favorite dives.

starrsville Oct 12th, 2006 06:50 PM

There's this sandwich place in Manhattan...

trippinkpj Oct 12th, 2006 07:05 PM

Okay this is in BC, Canada not the US. The Only seafood restaurant in Vancouver. It's been several years so I hope it's still there.

trippinkpj Oct 12th, 2006 07:13 PM

These 2 aren't dives but are pretty basic: the Apple Pan restaurant in Los Angeles and Red's Java House in San Francisco.

elnap29 Oct 12th, 2006 09:32 PM

On Highway 50 in Nevada (booked as the lonliest highway in America) the amazing place to eat is in the tiny town of Eureka: Owl Club Bar and Steak House. Old, funky, formica tables but the friendliest service and the most delicious food! (And we are very picky about food)

LoriNY1 Oct 13th, 2006 05:19 AM

The Blue Benn diner in Bennington Vermont.

motor_city_girl Oct 13th, 2006 05:21 AM

A little place, has had several names was Hank's/Henry's last time I was there, in Newton Grove, NC.

Awesome lunch buffet, East Carolina BBQ, plenty of veggies cooked in hamhocks, hush puppies, sweet tea...mmmm!

Oops, sorry about the drool.

iamq Oct 13th, 2006 05:41 AM

Hamura's Saimin in Lihue, Kaua'i.

Bill

starrsville Oct 13th, 2006 05:46 AM

Not a dump - but small, no atmosphere and incredible Thai food -
Thai Thai in Volcano, Big Island, Hawaii

When you call to make reservations, they answer at the hardware store next door (during the day)

bagsarepacked Oct 13th, 2006 07:06 AM

B.O.'s Fish Wagon in Key West....don't let the looks fool you. It is the best fish sandwich I have ever had. Also make the top 10 awhile ago in Coastal Living magazine.

Walts Hitchin Post in Peducah,KY.

KE1TH Oct 13th, 2006 07:28 AM

Matthews Cafeteria in Tucker, GA, east of Atlanta (near Stone Mountain).

Old shack next to the railroad tracks. Floor shakes as you walk across it. Bathroom is down a extremely narrow hall that you have to turn sideways to get through.

Some of the best tasting food in the Atlanta area.

The line at lunch extends out the door. Lots of suits mixed with blue collar.

Keith

GoTravel Oct 13th, 2006 07:44 AM

The original Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago.

Cheesesamich, cheesesamich, Pepsi no Coke!

TahitiTams Oct 13th, 2006 07:50 AM

Aloha iamq..
Did you know that Hamura's Saimin won a prestigious James Beard Award this year?

Fav dive is Las Quatros Milpas in San Diego under the Coronado bridge.

Loki Oct 13th, 2006 08:02 AM

LC's BBQ in KC.

iamq Oct 13th, 2006 11:06 AM

TahitiTarns,

Yes, I did know that. aunitemaria posted about earlier this year. Great news! They so deserve it.

-Bill

Julie304 Oct 13th, 2006 11:14 AM

Enchiladas Y Mas in Austin, TX

CAPH52 Oct 13th, 2006 11:19 AM

Cheese<b>burger</b>, GT! :D

Leely Oct 13th, 2006 11:31 AM

On a Roll Cafe in Pittsfield, MA. Was just driving through to see Arrowhead and the Melville library. Needed lunch. Saw some people walking into a little plain-Jane cafe in a strip mall kinda place. Not a dump but the decor screamed Subway.

Incredible sandwiches, homemade bread, pickles, barbecue sauce, tapenade, the real deal.

PamSF Oct 13th, 2006 12:12 PM

Oh Bill~Haimura's Saimen it is!

JJ5 Oct 13th, 2006 01:57 PM

A dive in Walkerton /Koontz Lake IN called Al's Diner. And no connection to that chain. There's an Al.

I don't know if it is still operating. I saw an 8 year old smoking with his family in there. Shoes are an option in summer.

They have incredible biscuits and gravy.