What is there to do on MAUI in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is there to do on MAUI? How long to stay, where to stay?

* I posted this earlier this evening, but forgot to tag it as Hawaii, so I am posting it again, thank you *

Hi, We'll be traveling to Maui around Jan 20th this year.
We have not decided on a hotel yet.
We have not decided how many nights we should stay on Maui yet.
We don't really know what there is to do on Maui except:
maybe see Iao Valley State Park
Maybe walk the Kapalua Coastal Trail
See Napili Bay
Maybe drive the road to Hana (why do people do this? Is it scenic? Is there a destination? Is there a time to begin it so you don't get lost in the dark on it?)

We would love to do some hiking, maybe jogging if the hotel has a kind of jogging path in front of it, along the water, it would be great, -
I am hoping to easily see/view whales - if possible, right from our lanai - if we have one
Visit Haleakala
Visit Lahaina

We love to dine out - so we would hope to be in an area that is in close proximity to restaurants.

I've read that Merriman's is a wonderful experience, and maybe Pacific O's... also The Treehouse Experience at Hotel Wailea, Mama's Fish House, and Kihei Cafe for breakfast?

This is all I really know so far about Maui.

We don't have a budget, per se, this is a special anniversary trip, so we can splurge a little.

Upscale all the way - first time to Maui for my companion. I have been before, but it was a long long time ago, and I hardly remember it.

Can you help?

I understand there could be rain in certain areas of Maui during this time of year. I suppose that would influence our activities and accommodations.

Thank you!!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Its there

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...do-on-maui.cfm
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Show Fodor's that you appreciate their providing these message boards by buying their guide to Maui.

http://www.fodors.com/guidebooks/sea...l?keyword=Maui
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much

Can you tell me... would you know if the island of Kauai should not be a consideration for the month of January if one desires warmth and sun?
Or are there places on Kauai that have it?
Can you see whales on Kauai in Jan?
Is there much to do there, restaurants, etc?
Can't decide which island to go after Oahu!
thank you!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 06:31 PM

We spend a month on Kauai every year. January may be a bit stormier than other months, but not so much that I would avoid going there. At most, you might get a storm blowing though that would give you several days of rain. But even the rain is (relatively) warm. Yes, you can see whales in January. If you stay on the southern part of Kauai it will be warmer and sunnier. The north shore is likely to be quite rainy in January.

There are many excellent restaurants on Kauai, and a concentration in the Poipu area. But Kauai isn't a place for clubbing and such. It is a quieter island, and its lushness requires rain. Many areas of Maui are quite arid, so if rain really bothers you, go to Maui.

It sounds like you have never been to Hawaii. No matter where you go, there is likely to be some rain.

While I understand that you choose to do your planning differently, I always like to read about a place and get a feel for it before I book anything. You are at a disadvantage of knowing little about Hawaii and leaving for San Francisco in a day or two (where you are also worried about rain). Plan that you will get rain wherever you go, and you won't be so thrown by it.

Get your hotel booked ASAP. There is really no "low season" in Hawaii.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Kathie. You are right, I do not like rain very much.
I don't mind it much, but when there's days and days of it (like what's coming to SF), I get sick of it.
I don't like getting wet. I'm more like a cat than a dog I suppose.
Finicky.