Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is there to do in Tiburon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-there-to-do-in-tiburon-189670/)

Dee Jan 23rd, 2003 01:07 AM

What is there to do in Tiburon?

I'll be based in Tiburon for 10 days in April, staying with friends.<BR>Obviously I'll take the ferry to SF for some sightseeing, but what is there to do locally in Tiburon?<BR>Also, I'd like to visit Yosemite for an overnight trip but may not have use of a car. How do I get there from Tiburon?

L Jan 23rd, 2003 06:57 AM

Another good ferry ride from Tiboron is to Angel Island. They have bikes for rent, it is quiet and pieceful. There is a memorial to Japanese internment camp victims. <BR><BR>An overnight trip to Yosemite would be tough because it is a four hour drive. If you want to see redwoods, try Muir woods just west of Tiburon. It is a bit of a drive, but they have bus tours. Muir woods has alot of hiking trails, low and high key, waterfalls, and wild flowers in April. The tour may continue to Point Reyes National sea shore. Ask about seeing the tully elk by the light house, just past Muir woods.

Pam Jan 23rd, 2003 07:08 AM

Tiburon is small with a few good restaurants.(Try Sam's) The previous poster is right about the ferry. Local transit is limited to buses around Marin but you will find some interesting spots.<BR>A portion of the Golden Gate Recreational area is very close to Tiburon. Try walking out Tennessee Valley Road to the ocean(about 1.5 miles each way). There are several trails from that area that include one long,somewhat intense but beautiful trail over to Muir Beach. You will get views of the city from there that will astound you. Re:Yosemite..it is a long trip no matter how you get there for an overnight. You can take the train from Emeryville to Merced from which you then take a small van to the valley floor. The trip itself is an all day affair. Amtrak should have information about the trip. I have no idea of your interests however there are some other places of note which might require a car but may also be reached by some combination of bus routes.<BR>There is Green Gulch a Zen Center near Muir Beach and Spirit Rock out Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Both centers provide dharma talks, meditation sessions and are very peaceful. The dharma talks at Green Gulch are on Sundays and are open to the public. You can call both places for schedules of events.<BR>Stinson Beach and Bolinas are over the mountain from Tiburon. There is a wildlife(primarily herons and eggrets) center. Audobon Canyon Ranch I think.<BR>The recommendation for Angel Island is a good one. <BR><BR>You may also be able to take public transportation(buses) to places

Pam Jan 23rd, 2003 07:10 AM

Sorry..the editing on my post was off. You are coming to a very beautiful spot..enjoy!

janis Jan 23rd, 2003 09:20 AM

I definitely agree w/ Angel Island. You could spend a whole day on the island. Amazing views of SF and the entire bay. Civil war barracks and othere military sites, the &quot;Ellis Island of the Pacific&quot;, many deer and other wild life. While waiting for the ferry (a VERY short ride) at the Tiburon end you can wander through the shops, eat, have a margarita on a deck over the water.

Mary Mar 12th, 2003 12:30 PM

There's great walking in Tiburon. The Tiburon bike path to Blackie's Pasture offers beautiful views of Mt Tam and the bay. A walk around Belvedere (adjacent to Tiburon) is stunning for the lovely homes, great vistas and narrow, wooded lanes. Also walk the waterfront out along Paradise Drive/Mar East. There are several good restaurants for such a small town. And the library is fantastic and offers evening author programs and internet workshops.

enjoylife Mar 12th, 2003 12:31 PM

Drink at Sam's.

haydencat Mar 12th, 2003 12:49 PM

Can't beat the deck at Sam's on a Sunday afternoon when the weather's nice!

applejaxs Mar 13th, 2003 09:00 AM

I believe there is Amtrak service to Yosemite. I don't think it would be too difficult to connect up with the train. It would be longer than an overnight though! I would trek over to Sausalito as well.Tiburon is nice, but 10 day a quite a long time! If Tiburon Tommies still was there..THAT would be my destination!