What is there to do in Portsmouth, NH?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there for a few days on business and was wondering what there is to do and see around there. I have extensively traveled in Maine, so I don't feel the need to drive north. Any suggestions for dining, entertainment, etc.?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM

we have eaten at the Library in Portsmouth and enjoyed it - www.libraryrestaurant.com
unfortunately, we eat there on our way to other destinations so i can not help much other than this - I am sure Portsmouth has a calendar of events on line, since it a city becoming more and more known for its arts, etc - perhaps that will help you find things you like.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:55 AM

I lived in Portsmouth for about a year, 20 years ago, so I have no idea what restaaurants are there these days, but when I was there, there were a number of excellent ones. It's a very cute, historic town. Stroll around the downtown area. Look at the streets of old houses built in the 1700s. Visit Strawberry Banke. Visit the John Paul Jones House (it's the one from the Sears paint commercials).
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Portsmouth is a wonderful city. For a pleasant drive go by Strawbery Banke and head out on rt 1B to Newcastle. You can stop at the Ice House for take out. Not sure if they are open in winter. This route will also take you past the fabulous Wentworth-by-the-Sea a historic hotel that has been completely renovated. Another drive would be along the coast thru Rye past the beautiful mansions. There are a couple of theaters in Portsmouth and lots of music venues. If you head west to Durham there is the University of NH campus where there is also theater and music events. If you want a casual seafood place, we like Newicks on Dover Point which overlooks Great Bay (It's on the way to Durham). Portsmouth restaurants attract people from Boston. We're usually there only for lunch. Friends recommend Jumpin' Jays. You'll want to explore the Market and Dock Square areas. Nice little shops and galleries. Nice microbrewery place. The events are listed in the Thursday and Sunday editions of the newspaper. There's also some local free papers.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Good suggestions so far. Portsmouth has a very vibrant downtown. Many shops, bars and restaurants. There's almost too many restaurants to talk about. Jumpin Jay's is great for seafood, you can eat at the bar too.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I'm antoher fan of Portsmouth. Lots of good suggestions here. Shopping is interesting, there are good restaurants and the Music Hall has good concerts etc there. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that Kittery is just across the river and there are a gazillion outlet stores there.

If you do decide to drive down Rt 1a - try to find the little park in New Castle that is right on the water. You can drive in and get some nice views of lighthouses from there. I don't know the name of the park but it is about 3/4 of a mile before the Wentworth on the left hand side as you come from Portsmouth.