Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Nashville for someone who doesn't love country music?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Jim

I will be in Nashville in a few weeks and will have some free time. I don't hate country music, but I'm not a fan of it either. Ideas, anyone?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Jethro

Buy and consume lots of chewing tobacco and whiskey, that'll help pass the time.

See if you can find any of your cousins around the area you might be able to shack up with.

Practice learning the numbers and names of all the major NASCAR drivers.

If you still have all your teeth (even most of them) smile at everbody around town and make 'em jealous.

Hog jowls and pigs feet make great breakfast accomaniments to the standard southern menu of grits and gravy.

Have fun......yeeehaw!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Jim

That's not exactly what I had in mind. Does anybody else have any better ideas?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:51 AM
lisa

There's actually lots to do. Vanderbilt University is there and is a beautiful stroll. Ditto to the Parthenon (practically across the street) which is in a park and houses a small art museum.

Even if you don't like country music, a lot of other kinds of music is recorded in Nashville -- you might check out the listings for live music in clubs or open mike nights. You never know who you'll hear.

The nice thing about being in Nashville is the number of music artists who live there. If you catch a concert, you're likely to see some other artists show up to join in a song or two. Check out Starwood (I think that's what it's called) the outdoor amphitheatre for listings.

Music Row is the area where all of the record houses are located. It is interesting to see. Downtown there are lots of shops that sell guitars or country music stars' costumes.

You can also tour Ryman Auditorium downtown -- the historic home of the Grand Ole Opry. It's a really cool building with a lot of history.

Outside of town is the new Opryland Hotel -- it's really a spectacle with a huge indoor tropical garden, waterfall, etc. Nearby is the new Grand Ole Opry and Opryland Park (which I think is still open).

If you have time to get outside of town, try the Loveless Motel and Cafe. I love their homemade jams, biscuits and fried chicken.

Let me know if you also need restaurant ideas.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:04 AM
YeeHah

How about some earplugs and billy bob teeth? (The earplugs are to block out the music and the billy bob teeth are to attract women.)

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Abby

Jim-
Definitely take a walk around the Vanderbilt/West End area (I'm biased, I went there) and the Parthenon. It's an amazingingly beautiful, exact replica, situation in a great park. Also go down to Second Avenue for eating, shops, and cafes. Hit the Bluebird Cafe-it's famous for up and coming artists. Try to catch a hockey game in the new stadium or a basketball game at Vandy in Memorial Gym-world famous for it's raised floor. Have fun! Great city.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Beachbum

Hi Jim,
Nearby is the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home. It's a nice way to spend a day outside. A bit further down the road is the Jack Daniels distillery, a very interesting and pungent tour. Hope you have fun!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Philip

Opryland Park has been closed for a few years. In its place is Opry Mills Shopping Mall. Worth a visit if you are into shopping. Also walking around the Conservatory at Opryland Hotel is nice.

Check out the TN State Museum downtown. It has some interesting exhibits on TN history as well as the Civil War.

If you are of a religious nature, you may want to visit The Upper Room which has a wood carving of da Vinci's painting of "The Last Supper"

You may want to drive to Huntsville Alabama and visit the Space & Rocket Center. Huntsville is 2 hours south on Interstate 65.

You may also want to take a trip out to Memphis. That's about 3 1/2 hours west on Interestate 40.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Diane

The old post office in Nashville has been turned into a lovely museum--The Frist Center (or Museum). It is a beautiful building and an interesting collection. Nashville is a lot of fun--I don't care for country music--but there are a lot of clubs that play blues and rock that are fun.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
laura

I would second the Hermitage - it was a very nice tour. The Ryman is nice - it is a self-guided tour that takes about an hour.

I would also add the Country Music Hall of Fame. I know you said you're not a big country fan. Neither am I, but I found it interesting from an historical perspective.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:31 AM
RB

Ditto on the Frist- very nice facility. Check out www.fristcenter.org

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:57 AM
kbs

I agree that a visit to the Hermitage is worthy of your time. Also consider a 1-1/2 hour drive to the north to Kentucky's Mamouth Caves Natl. Park. That makes for a full day round trip.