Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > What is the winter(Febrary-March) in North Carolina like?

What is the winter(Febrary-March) in North Carolina like?

Aug 4th, 1999, 09:29 AM
Cliff Thew

What is the winter(Febrary-March) in North Carolina like?

I am planning a visit to North Carolina in March of 2000. What are the must see's and what kind of weather can I expect. Also is there any reasonably priced golf courses. I have heard some of the greens fees can be rather interesting.

Aug 4th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Nancy

I am from South Carolina. The weather in both Carolinas is quite similar. Are you to be in a coastal or inland location? If you are coastal, and you should be if you plan to golf in February, then you will be fine. The weather can range anywhere from 30-70C. On a rare year we have snow falls of a millimeter or so! Generally it is quite mild around the 50s in February and even warmer in March to around 60-70C.

The largest variety of golf courses in the two Carolinas would be at Myrtle Beach on the border between the two states. This location is quite "touristy" and more upscale golfers prefer a variety of places such as Kiawah and Seabrook Resorts (outside of Charleston, SC) or Pinehurst in NC.

The average age in Pinehurst is older and more sedate, Myrtle Beach is a bit of everything and Kiawah and Seabrook tend to appeal to younger to mid-life professionals. Dining is limited in Pinehurst although not absent, beef is the main course of choice. You will find a bit of interesting local color if you are into off the beaten path bars.....you'll step from posh/upscale and lovely golf courses to interesting local southern pubs with peanut shells on the floor and more southern drawls than you may require! Ask your local caddies or golf pros about where to go. Myrtle Beach is mainly fried foods, etc. Kiawah and Seabrook are vacation resorts and have fine dining on the premises with the back-up of many downtown Charleston restaurants which range from fine to casual dining and a plethora of fresh seafood. All have shopping galore and other pursuits such as tennis, etc for travel companions. Myrtle Beach is a day trip from Charleston if you are on the northern side (Seabrook's location). Personally I prefer Kiawah, but, Seabrook would afford easy access to both golf wonderlands.

That's all I know from my friends who golf....I am not a golfer, but, have tagged along. Surely there must be a "golf" website to guide you...and try the city chamber website for weather info during certain time periods.

Good luck.

Aug 4th, 1999, 02:00 PM
belle

March can be glorious -- days in 70s, nights in 50s -- but it can be chillier, too, and rainy. If you're from nawth of heah, you'll love the fact that most of the trees will be in bloom by mid-month, and many flowers will be out, too.

It's very, very rare for it to get below 40 at night after Mar. 1.

Must sees? It's a VERY wide state -- where will you be? Must sees in west include Biltmore in Asheville + the mountains. In Piedmont, it's Duke and Duke gardens in Durham (and tobacco factory downtown, if you're interested!), UNC-CH and incredible basketball and soccer in Chapel Hill, along with very pretty and historic campus, nice college town. In the east, it's the Outer Banks -- they just moved the Hatteras Light, and that's a sight; I always love Ocracoke Island and Corolla (at the far south and north of the outer banks). Wilmington is a surprising city, very historic and charming and not far from ocean.
Don't mean to slight Charlotte -- but others will know more about it.)

I have the impression there are golf courses everywhere -- e.g., on Duke campus and near UNC-CH campus, as well as Pine Hurst, Southern Pines, Southern Shores, etc. etc. But obviously I'm not a golf maven.

Search this Thread