Reload this Page >

What is the trick to find reasonable parking in SF for a couple nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:48 PM
jan

Is there a secret place the locals know about for parking for a few nights. The hotels charge alot. Union square or Fishermans Wharf
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
jan

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 01:15 AM
George

In a word--no. There is no secret place in those areas you mention. If you gotta have the car, you'e going to pay the piper. When we stayed in Union Square a year ago, I dropped my wife and luggage at the hotel, and the rental at a dropoff in the City. When I was out there seven years ago, parking was expensive.

This subject comes up here a couple of times a year. Try doing a search on SF (or San Francisco) parking for the straight scoop.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
JKent

Last time I was there the hotel charged me $40 a night to park my $30-a-day rental car.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Bob

We were there about (3) years ago and stayed at the St. George. Across the street from the hotel was a high rise parking garage that had an agreement to ONLY charge St. George hotel guests $17.00/day.

What we learned after we got to S.F. was that in that garage across the street was also, a car rental company.

We could have walked across the street and rented a car for only the days we would actually drive to Napa and down the beach and saved some serious money. A better travel agent would have given us that good advice.

You can take one of the famous trolly's down to Fisherman's Wharf and walk to so many places and don't need a car for that.

Other than that, you'll have to bite the bullet and pay the piper. Take care.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:00 PM
tom

Why do you think 60% of the people who live in SF do not own cars?

Anything less that $20 per day is a REAL bargain.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:30 PM
mare

Aren't there any park & ride lots outside of the city where you can just hop the subway to Market Street?
How about Oakland airport? Do they have a $6 per day "remote parking lot"? I think they are on the Bart subway line, aren't they?

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:40 PM
kenny

Answers to Mare's four ?'s:
1. no, yeah right
2. no, ha ha
3. no, in your dreams
4. no, not quite

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:07 PM
sfer

The secret is that you don't need a car to get around San Francisco. If you insist on having one anyway, and contributing to SF gridlock and pollution, you'll have to pay - and quite rightly, so please do so gracefully. You're welcome.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:08 AM
jan

sfer,
Promise I will only pollute on the way in and way out. AM coming from Canada in my own vehicle, driving cross country ,14 states and provinces. Need to just park as soon as we arrive then we'll be using public transportation or just walking. Wanted to know the car would be in a safe place.
So guess we'll be paying the piper which is not a problem just looking for the inside tips on a good deal.
Thanks to all for your help, have a better idea now what to look for.
Thanks,
Jan

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:09 AM
x

park further away and take the bart into town.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:30 PM
joanie

The San Remo Bed & Breakfast is nice, though the rooms are tiny and the bathrooms are shared. They have very reasonable parking rates for guests. www.sanremohotel.com

The Columbus Motor Inn has a good location near Fisherman's Wharf and parking including in the room rate.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Nyet

Four yrs ago when my family were in SF, we stayed at SF Travelodge at Fisherman's Wharf - not exactly at FW but nearer Ghirardelli Square. It's a small place but hey we just needed a place to sleep. They offer free parking along with the room rates. The parking area is small and it's a fiorst come first served basis. What we did was we practically left the car there the whole time we were at SF (we drove from LA) and moved around with public transport. It might be a good idea to scour around for hotels that offer free parking which was what I did when I did my research for the trip. I remembered that I found a couple of them.

Now, I'm not sure if the hotel I mentioned is still there because right after we left, the owner did mention that he was doing renovations. Check around, I'm sure you will find something.