Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is the tackiest gift someone brought back for you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-the-tackiest-gift-someone-brought-back-for-you-245455/)

ellen Aug 2nd, 2002 11:13 AM

What is the tackiest gift someone brought back for you?

What is the tackiest gift someone has brought back for you from their trip? I once got an alabaster elephant lamp from Maine.

xxx Aug 2nd, 2002 11:51 AM

I actually recieved one of those "My Parents Went To NYC and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" t-shirts. Also, my dad brought me back a t-shirt that reads "I don't Glow" from 3-Mile Island.

Rachel Aug 2nd, 2002 12:23 PM

At my old job, we had an ongoing competition to see who could bring back the tackiest souvenior from their business travels. Mine was in the lead when I left: a snow globe from New Orleans that featured alligators on a teeter-totter.

Elfie Aug 2nd, 2002 12:31 PM

I deliberately gave my British co-workers horrible tacky gifts from a Florida trip one year as a joke; things like shell ashtrays with mermaids and dolphins in them, stuffed baby alligators, really cheap plastic sunglasses, etc. Unfortunately I think THEY thought that I thought these were nice vacation souvenirs, because they made nice "oh thanks, how nice" noises! LOL Have to laugh remembering that.

DianeG Aug 2nd, 2002 05:50 PM

My mom gave my then 6-year-old son a brass crab ashtray as a souvenir from Arizona.

Naomi Aug 2nd, 2002 06:36 PM

My cousin brought me back a t-shirt from South Dakota, that had a alien on the front giving the finger and saying "If you don't like my attitude, dial this number, 1-800-eat sh*t.<BR><BR>I would never wear a t-shirt like that, and plus I don't have an attitude!

Grim Reaper Aug 2nd, 2002 08:04 PM

A friend of mine and I have a "contest" to see who can get the tackiest gift for each other so far I have received a postcard from Crested Butte of an ugly tasilman that I swear keeps people away from me and a thumbnail from Kansas. In return I have given him a book I found entitled "Butts" that is a picture book of various paintings featuring nothing but naked butts. But the best I found was a pair of Aunt Jemima looking salt and pepper shakers in New Orleans

rudy Aug 3rd, 2002 07:25 PM

I was given a miniature Pope bank once. It doesn't get much tackier than that.

jb Aug 20th, 2002 03:39 PM

A friend gave me vacuum-packed haggis from Scotland. YUCK!

jason Aug 20th, 2002 03:45 PM

My mom and dad went to Myrtle Beach one year and bought me a "Myrtle Beach Polo Club" sweat shirt at an outlet mall. First, it "stole" the Polo logo. Second, no polo club would actually produce something so vile. Third, my mom was proud that she got such a "find" at an outlet mall. (She thought it was authentic, quality stuff.) Ugghh.

John Aug 20th, 2002 03:47 PM

My dad visiting Vegas brought me a "who farted?" t-shirt which had brown holes ripped all through it. Very classy, pops!

xxxxxxxxxx Aug 20th, 2002 03:48 PM

my girlfriend went to FL with friends and brought back dry pasta in boxes - one box in the shape of penises and one box in the shape of boobs. She then made me pasta salad. It was very tacky but she knew it and made a joke out of it.<BR>

MKL Aug 20th, 2002 03:56 PM

I gave a friend $100 to buy me some silver/turquoise earrings in Greece. What he brought me was the cheapest pair of tin and false-turquoise (just blue beads) earrings, in a sort-of-Navajo design I recognize as coming from gew-gaw factories and distributed in the US southwest at tourist traps. <BR><BR>He was an artist and he knew the real stuff, so I'm sure it wasn't that someone in Greece ripped him off. He probably bought them in the US airport gift shop, or maybe the Pier One on the way to my house.<BR><BR>That ended the friendship, which was worth -- apparently -- about $97.05 to him.

MKH Aug 20th, 2002 04:56 PM

MKL that is sort of funny in a sad way! Amazing what people will do for $97.00!! <BR>I rec'd a cheap and fake ugly pearl necklace that was about 35 inches long. too long to wear really. It looked like something a 5yr. old would use for dressup!<BR>This person said it was authentic from the Hong Kong area.. I had house sat for 2 weeks, watched 2 dogs, 1 cat. The one dog was very ill and needed special care, etc..<BR>They really thought this would appease me???! or compensate me?!!<BR>oh well, c'est la vie!<BR>

hhh Aug 20th, 2002 05:06 PM

The winner would have to be the African "art" my former boss brought back for me from his visit to the bush. It was a small wooden "statue" about 10 inches high and about 4 inches in diameter. I later found out that it was a DILDO that African women used while there husbands were away hunting.<BR>Nice, huh?

xxx Aug 20th, 2002 05:20 PM

MKL, one of my girlfriends had the same thing happen to her! She was dog sitting and the 'parents' of the animal brought her back a string of tacky pearls from Hong Kong. On the off chance they were real, she took them to a jewler who said they were real and worth about $3500. Later she found out pearls are very cheap and abundant over there.

native Aug 20th, 2002 05:54 PM

as a non-beer drinker, i thought getting beer bottle opener from florida with a crab logo on it would be my minor contribution. however; when i mentioned this thread to my daughter, she had me beat with a dollar chip from Bellagio in Vegas. I didn't even know that Bellagio had dollar chips. Couldn't they spring for a fiver?

reallytacky Aug 20th, 2002 07:05 PM

In my youth, a former boss brought back a Wayne Newton albumn from Las Vegas; he thought I'd be thrilled....and we still have the albumn, unopened!

just Aug 20th, 2002 07:16 PM

Maybe you could sell the Wayne Newton album on ebay.com and put the proceeds from the sale in a travel fund.

Stella Aug 21st, 2002 08:27 AM

Well I just couldn't resist buying myself a tacky Florida souvenir. Except I had to make it myself! Many, many years ago, in an orange grove in Florida, we visited a tower in the grove. You could see for miles. Anyway they had this contraption where you could make your own souvenir. Something about molds and hot wax. What did I make? A very blue porpoise! Very Tacky, but I was so proud. :)