Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the nicest beach on the California central coast??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 12:37 PM
xx

I'm talking in terms of scenery, clean water and land, attractive surroundings, atmosphere, just pleasant to be there.

And the best place to stay in that area, if you have an opinion about that.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 01:36 PM
Robin

Does Santa Barbara count? I thought that was a beautiful area with some gorgeous inns. We stayed at the Inn on Summer Hill. It's one of my all time favorites.

Robin

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:00 PM
allen

Santa Barbara is certainly a beautiful place, but I recall visiting some years ago and everyone who walked along the shore had to clean the tar from the offshore oil rigs off their shoes. It smelled awful. As it was a few years back perhaps this has changed. I nominate Carmel Beach as my favorite Central Coast location as well as the Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel area in general.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:24 PM
Sarah

Cambria would definitely be it. Cheaper than Santa Barbara or Monterey and far more relaxing. A small town atmosphere and a few great restaurants. You could also go to Hearst Castle up the highway. Check out Moonstone Beach for lodging.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Samantha

Ditto to what Allen has stated - I found the Monterey/Carmel beaches and area in general to be wonderful.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 11:56 AM
pdxer

I heartily agree with the Cambria suggestion. Big pines, beautiful beach. Charming town.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Dean

Cambria/San Simeon

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Robin

Gaviota State Beach and the others off of Hwy 1 at the southern end of Big Sur. Get a hold of a map that identifies the paths you walk in on-- it's so much more enjoyable than just driving through, and few people bother.