Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is the most unusual vacation you have ever taken? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-the-most-unusual-vacation-you-have-ever-taken-148898/)

Adventurer Wanna Be Jul 24th, 2001 08:57 PM

What is the most unusual vacation you have ever taken?

Just wondering if anyone has been on any unusual vacations out there. I once heard about a vacation to somewhere in Canada that polar bears migrated through every year and you could witness it. All of my travels have been pretty routine stuff, though... beaches, major cities, B&B in the country. I was curious to hear about some of other people's more adventerous trips. Maybe some of us will get some interesting ideas for our next trips!

curious Jul 25th, 2001 03:55 AM

The most unususual as well as best vacation my husband and I have ever taken was to the Amazon. We had to take a boat (ala jungle queen) from Manaus for 2 hours down the river just to get the lodge, Ariue Jungle Towers. The whole place was on stilts in anticipation of the seasonal flooding. All the buildings are connected by walkways suspended about 20 feet above ground. It was like a group of treehouses. The honeymoon cottage was a treehouse about 60 feet up called "Tarzans house". There are monkeys everywhere and they will come up and hug you, sit on your lap, the babies were adorable! When you walk to the lodge where dinner is served you have to dodge bats. There are also insects the size of buicks down there. It is not a trip for the squemish. Guides took us in canoes to see beautiful pink river dolphins. Truly a gorgeous sight. We did jungle hikes, saw native settlements, went piranha fishing (you bait with chunks of beef). We even caught and ate the pirahnha! We had a great time. We went 3 years ago w/out kids but I would love to go back with them. They would have a great time there (with the exception of the pre-trip required shots). They also had some spectacular entertainment provided by native bands and dancers. I highly recommend it.

curious Jul 25th, 2001 04:03 AM

Just went to the photo album to check the proper spelling. It is Ariau Jungle Towers. It really was a great time!

topcat Jul 26th, 2001 09:48 AM

Topping!

Tambi Jul 26th, 2001 10:55 AM

Perhaps not unusual but unfortunate! <BR> <BR>My husband and I flew to Padre Island for a 5-day vacation a few years back. As we walked to the rental car the sideway dipped and I twisted my ankle... Ankle was swollen & I limped for 3 days. I had requested an ocean view room but we arrived to a regular room. So they switched us after much ado... only to find the A/C didn't work in this room (and we were kept up all that night because the exit door kept slamming!) So we figure we'll go out to a nice dinner, so I'm ironing my shirt... and drop the iron on top of my wrist/hand. MAJOR burn. <BR> <BR>Next day, spend a day on the beach (looking like a major tourist with my wrist/hand wrapped in gauze and have to hold it above the water of course). Husband refuses to put sunscreen on... By that night he is FRIED and can barely move. So now the beach isn't appealing to either of us due to the iron burn & sunburn situation! <BR> <BR>So we decide we'll head into Mexico for the day... we eat at a restaurant and I get a bottled coke, not thinking about the ICE CUBES (*and* I have IBS as it is!). Finally arrive home (Tennessee) only to realize I have Montezuma's Revenge something awful, and I miss 3 days of work! <BR> <BR>It was the worst vacation ever.

curious Jul 27th, 2001 05:46 AM

C'mon, can anyone else help adventurer out? O.K., here's another unusual vacation we took. We were in Phuket Thailand several years ago and took an excursion to the Phi Phi islands which I have to say were the most beautiful and exotic I have ever seen - made you feel like Robinson Crusoe. We visited a cave with prehistoric paintings and very high ceilings with some fragile looking poles reaching to the top. Men climb up these poles several times a year to collect the junk that the swallows who nest there excrete. This is what is used to make birds nest soup! Yuck! So if your tempted to pay the $80-$100 for a bowl of this rare soup, just remember where it came from! <BR>We went on to Bangkok from there, dirty, polluted, hot, and crowded but incredibly interesting. Took water taxi's through floating cities. Houses, stores, everything just attached to one another floating on the river. Groceries are sold out of boats. Very interesting. Also fun but dangerous were the Tuk Tuk's. Like a motorcycle with a cart attached. This is there version of a taxi in which the drivers weave in and out of traffic at breakneck speed. Not for the easily terrified. The temples are incredible. The detail and history in them is fascinating. <BR>After Bangkok went north to Chiang Mai. While we were at the Airport for the flight there I saw people boarding with winter coats. I got a little nervous and asked the stewardess if it was cold there. She replied "Yes it's quite cold, in the 70's and sometimes even 60's at night!" I quess temperature is all reltive! In Chiang Mai we rafted down river to an elephant camp where elephants are trained to work. They are used quite often to move things, etc. Just have to plug the Regent Chiang Mai here - without a doubt the nicest Hotel I have ever stayed anywhere in the world. A magnificent place with impeccable service. We stayred at the Oriental in Bangkok which is always rated best in the world and this place beat it hands down. <BR>Now come on, others must have some other unusual trips to talk about, how about you Oaktown? I know from reading the Travel threads that you've been to very interesting spots, Istanbul etc. Don't let the haters silence you! I know I won't. Have a great weekend all!

curious Jul 27th, 2001 05:56 AM

Oh, forgot to mention that we were able to ride on the back of the elephants on a jungle trek. A lot of fun if not a bit malodorous!

xxx Jul 27th, 2001 09:27 AM

TTT

joan Jul 27th, 2001 11:12 AM

Curious: Wow! And I thought renting a villa was adventurous! I have a question. How did you come to go on these adventures? That is, did you do your own research, or did you join a tour (somehow I don't think you would), or did you use an adventure-type travel agent. If you did your own research, you must have spent hours and hours figuring out where to go... I think I remember you saying you have kids...did you bring them? <BR>Thanks!

Joy Jul 27th, 2001 12:02 PM

Not a very exotic or expensive vacation, but unusual in the sense that it is attainable for the average "joe" and was memorable. Took my 3 kids to Alaska by plane. We flew into Anchorage, and researched the length of time/distance to get to Denali National Park. I recall it was approximately 4 hrs. Well worth the trip. We stayed overnite in a hostel type of residence that was 5-10 miles outside the national park. Spent the whole day in the park, on a yellow bus provided by the park for very little money. We went in June, and saw many animals and their young/newly born. Saw 12 bear, eagles, different birds, etc. The changing of the tundra as you get into the park is an interesting site. Mt McKinley was breathtaking, the majesty of the mountains in Denali and on the everyday roads made you feel that life/nature is what it's all about. Travelling to Kenai is a beautiful trip, putting 2,000 miles on the rental car. We counted 23 waterfalls from the roadside from Kenai to Anchorage. Made reservations to tour a dogsled camp and got a dogsled ride, as they train the dogs in the summer. Took a boat cruise to a "land" galcier; drove through an area of Russian heritage with a Russian cemetary and churches. Had more energy during the trip since it was still very sunny at 10p, barely needed a flash light to see outside at night time. There's a national park that we walked through, and all the water from the glaciers melting was crystal blue. I highly recommend Alaska to anyone who is wowed by the outdoors.

curious Jul 27th, 2001 12:57 PM

Joan, <BR>We were very fortunate that my husband worked for a company that rewarded its top employees with fabulous and exotic trips. They didn't do the typical Hawaii trips that some of his former companies did. They kind of prided themselves in going all out and picking destinations that one would not normally get a chance to go on. Other trips were Africa and Australia. We always extended these trips on our own since we were already so far from home, like staying in Paris on the way back from Thailand and The caribbean on the way to South America, etc. The tours were arranged for, they always gave us a sort of menu of which tours we wanted to go on. In Thailand we did Bangkok on our own. One of my husbands collegues went on to Myanamar (sp?). Talk about adventurous! Children weren't allowed on these trips, not that they would have enjoyed the 22 hour flight (Thailand) or the many shots required for some of these destinations. We are fortunate that both grandmas are close by and willing and able to babysit to allow us to travel. <BR>Unfortunately he no longer works for that company but we still manage some more mundane trips on our own, Italy and the caribbean last year. I'm starting to plan for our first family trip to Italy next year and am looking for different diversions for the children. I've found a tour of catacombs near Rome where you can view thousands of human skeletons (my kids will love this). Then of course there is Pompeii and Herculeum (again, I may be off on the spelling). Now that they are older, 8 and 11, we are planning mostly all family trips. I'm also looking into rafting the Grand Canyon but I know they have age and height requirements.

Daniel Williams Jul 27th, 2001 01:36 PM

Hi <BR> <BR>The most unusual vacation I took was to go to Wilmington Delaware to check it out and go to the Delaware History Museum. It was only a day trip, but no one that I knew could understand why I went out of my way to see downtown Wilmington, not known as a tourist attraction. True, the downtown was dead as a doornail (with but a few lone souls wandering around), but I actually enjoyed reading about the history of the First State at the museum. <BR> <BR>DAN

Sloane Jul 27th, 2001 01:39 PM

Traveled around Egypt as a single women for 1 month for about $1000 in 1993. It was difficult, hot and a hassle but I would do it all again. Knowing a little bit more of what to expect I think I could avoid some but not all pitfalls of being alone in a third world country.

joan Jul 27th, 2001 07:02 PM

Curious: Thanks for the insights! It's great to know you really APPRECIATE your good fortune, including what a wonderful family you have. I'm gonna stay tuned for your continuing adventures :)

curious Jul 28th, 2001 06:16 AM

Thanks Joan, hopefully we'll be able to pull off that adventurous trip en famille, this year with a lot of help from this and the Europe thread!

Dave Jul 28th, 2001 06:20 AM

The most unusual trip (not a vacation) that I have taken is a cruise via a Russian icebreaker to the North Pole last summer. <BR> <BR>Adventurer - about the polar bears: <BR> <BR>Each year thousands of polar bears go to Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, from mid-October to mid-November. You can see the tours at www.nathab.com, although other companies promote it, and you can do it independently. We are thinking about it for this year.

curious Jul 28th, 2001 06:37 AM

Oh Joan, I just got to thinking about what you said about appreciating family and I had to say how much I do, and not only is my mon wonderful enough to watch the kids while we go away, but she LOVES to travel and hosts many of our vacations! Ever since my dad died her philosophy is enjoy life while you can, since you never know.... this year year she took my sister and I and our kids to Playa del Carmen, last year a Bermuda cruise, the year before the Disney cruise and now wants me to plan a Hawaii cruise! (These are easier for her and I have to say the kids absolutely love those cruises and the childrens programs). It really is generous of her and she knows how much we appreciate it. As she says, just don't expect anything when Im gone! But I say great, she loves traveling with her kids and grandchildren and so do we!

joan Jul 28th, 2001 11:56 AM

Curious: <BR>That is so ironic. You see, my dad is kind of like your mom, only on an opposite timeline. About eighteen years ago, he and my mom began hosting family reunions for his five children (I'm the youngest)and thirteen grandchildren. Most with everybody, some with just the six couples. He's taken us on two cruises, a week in Aruba, the NC mountains, and we've rented those big mansions on the NC Outer Banks ( a great halfway point for all of us). About eight years ago, my mom died and he remarried a wonderful lady. Unfortunately, as he's gotten older, he's become unreasonably concerned with NOT cashing in stock and paying income taxes. Says he wants to have something to leave us kids (although we tried to talk to him about the fact that the older WE get the less we need his darned inheritance). Then he stopped paying/hosting the reunions altogether. But you know what, curious? My brothers and sisters and I have continued the tradition anyway! I love the travel planning, and so that part falls to me, but we've continued to rent the houses, and just divide up the cost. We just returned from an Alaskan cruise (kind of expensive so not all attended). Dad goes too. He pays his share but not a penny more (now he's even reluctant to tip!). But that's OK! He footed those bills long enough to instill a love of travel and appreciation for family that will go on and on. And my husband and I also have grandmas who are able and willing to watch the little ones while we do the romantic trips. Aaah, what luck souls, eh? <BR> <BR>Have a great day! <BR>Joan <BR> <BR>P.S. You mention a Hawaii cruise...although I'm a born and bred beach girl, I was awestruck by the Alaskan cruise. Really wish I had brought my kids. Consider this for after/instead of Hawaii, ok?

curious Jul 29th, 2001 01:49 PM

Interesting Joan. I was thinking of the Alaskan cruise as well. Since we live on the east coast the cost is about the same as Hawaii. But Mom wants to go to Hawaii (even though she's been there but not to Alaska), so thats fine w/ us!

xxx Mar 18th, 2002 03:25 PM

Does anybody have any ideas for "off the beaten path" type vacations?