Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the most expensive and best restaurant in Key West

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
David A

Are there any great restaurants in Key West other than Louie's Backyard and Michaels?

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:25 PM
john

Cafe des Artiste
A&B Lobster House
Alice's

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:30 PM
x

Try posting this on Chowhound.com or go to Tripsmarter.com and they have a entire listing of Key West restaurants.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:05 PM
susan

I wouldn't include Louie's in the great restaurants of Key West. It's got a wonderful setting, but the food isn't necessarily good. If I were you, I'd go to Louie's for a cocktail (or for lunch) but I wouldn't waste time or money there for supper. I DO love Michaels, however. We haven't had a bad meal there yet. Their veal chop is really fabulous. In Key West, the most expensive doesn't necessarily translate into the best.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:23 PM
travis

the rooftop cafe

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:38 AM
jess

Michael really is very good and is always worth a visit. Rooftop Cafe and Louie's restaurant are not considered the best by most. I understand they were once very good under a different Chefs reign. We have enjoyed Cafe Sole and Antonia's for some very memorable dinners.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:42 AM
susan

I suggest you do a search of this board for restaurants in Key West. There are really lots of wonderful options, and this subject has been discussed extensively.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Grglnswsh

The most expensive? Well thats an easy one, Shulas Steak House. It is outragous how expensive a dinner for two is. It will cost you as much as a week long hotel stay. Is it the best? NO! In fact it is one of the worst places here. As far as the best places.....there are many. It all depends on what you are looking for. Half Shell is a great raw bar, Alice's is fun and funky, Cafe Des Artiste has wonderful french food, A&B is a good upscale lobster house, Blue Heaven is great for an island feel type restaurant. Like Susan said "In Key West, the most expensive doesn't necessarily translate into the best."

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Jess

I just checked out the Tripsmarter.com poll and it was surprising how low Louie's ranked on favorite places. I guess it really is not well liked anymore.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:53 AM
garyt

The Marquesa Cafe has become one of the best that Key West has to offer...

Old May 11th, 2002, 09:05 AM
tom

Pass on the Marquesa but try The Bagatelle. It can be a little hit or miss but usually fairly good.

Old May 11th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Merilee

David, I agree with Grglnwsh that Blue Heaven is a wonderful and fun restaurant that serves very good food...it's a bit quirky, but I love it...I also like El Siboney for real Cuban cuisine..very casual and inexpensive, but delicious. Many of the more popular and expensive ones fall short (to me).

Old May 11th, 2002, 07:06 PM
foodie

Merilee is right on target! Also be sure to check out Alice's. The Bag is very over rated.