Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best time to go to Disney World?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Mary

I was planning on taking my family to Disney World over Easter vacation but heard that there is a two hour wait at some rides because it is so crowded? Is it as crowded in July or August or is it too hot to go then?

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:52 AM
xxx

Didn't you just ask this question?

Yes, it is very hot and humid in July and August.

Yes, it is very crowded Easter Weeks (both the week before and the week after Easter).

Yes, during peak season (see above) the wait for rides can be 2+ hours.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 10:55 AM
xxx

Mary, I remember hearing the best time was in October.Not to hot and not terribly crowded.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Todd

Why would anyone want to go to the most phony, overrated, rip-off in the USA, Disneycrowd? You can see real things all over the country, and you can surely do better for your vacation $$ in a hundred other places.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Kim

The summer months are WAY too hot and humid at WDW. If you can, wait and go during Oct-Nov. Less people and bearable weather.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:36 PM
nina

Best time to go to avoid crowds? October - 1974.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:11 PM
patg

Early December, most of October thru early November, and mid-January to early February are good bets. If your kids have a "Teacher's Institute Day" that doesn't coincide with a holiday time, take them then. Nothing will influence your visit to Disney more than the crowds, or lack of them.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Gustav

Are you serious with this question? I smell a troll and will not answer. If you smell one also then don't answer and this will fade away.

Is Disney crowded in the summer?? Duh........

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Emily

According to Birnbaum's WDW guide the slowest times at WDW are:2nd week Jan-1st week Feb, week after Labor Day until the week before Christmas except for Thanksgiving week. The busiest are: President's Week, 3rd week March-3rd week April (or through Easter), June through Labor Day and Christmas through New Year's Day. Also the most rain falls in June-Sept (Avg 6.8 inches) Happy planning!

For lots more info go to www.disboards.com www.mousesavers.com www.ourlaughingplace.com

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Pearl

After spending many HOT summers in WDW, we decided one year to take our kids during the last week in April. We went the last Thurs in April and came back on a Monday, thus, they were only missing 3 days out of school. We knew that this was not the correct thing to do (taking them out of school for vacation) but I could not take another Hot summer in WDW.

Well......They must have declared that week a holiday and we didn't get the memo because, when we arrived at WDW, there were many kids there ( even some from my kid's school). It was a nice time to travel, hardly any wait time for rides, and except for the "love bugs" some awful looking black bugs that come out that time of year, we had a wonderful time.

Needless to say, we went back in April and the first part of May for the next few years and had extremely enjoyable WDW vacations after that.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:00 PM
darvy

I recommend February.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Dave

Been once, agree that it is one of those things you have to see once in your life, especially if you have kids....went to Epcot.

A couple of things if you go:

1) make sure you make reservations in advance and if possible stay right on the grounds.

2) Get your entrance tickets in advance so you don't have to wait.

If you go to Downtown Disney to dance, bring your ID. My wife is 34 years old and they would not let her through because she did not have her DL with her, and we had to go back and get it.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:23 PM
inchy

November or February. These used to be "resident months" when they had sales because those were the lowest seasons. It is also cooler then. The horror stories about the lines at Easter are true. I used to live near there and it was a time to be avoided. It is very hot there in the summer, and really takes away from the experience.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Dan

Pearl, I must ask who taught you that taking your kids out of school for a family vacation is "wrong". AISI the school system is barely holding on, mostly for its own benefit and as a babysitting service for parents who are too busy to take their kids on a vacation. Trust me(or don`t), your kids will catch up just fine, they were probably bored anyway. And Disney, if you must go, is infinitely less crowded during the school week.