Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best time of day to drive up to Waimea Canyon, Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How early in the morning? I've heard the clouds can start to roll in later on. We are staying on the north shore, and have no problem leaving super early, so what would you suggest?

Thanks!!

Oh and is the last two mile hike to the final lookout bad/steep/hard??

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM

We were there last week, drove to the canyon from Princeville arriving midday and it was cloudy and misting rain. After a few hours it began to clear. We've been there on previous trips and had glorious sunny days, midday and late afternoon. It just depends on what the weather is doing that week.

Check the local forecasts or call the park before you leave for your drive and schedule your time based on that.

We planned on hiking the Pihea trail about 4 miles in but due to the misting rain (and the rain from previous days) the trail was VERY slippery and muddy. We only went in less than 2 miles and turned back. By the time we made it back to the Puu o Kila lookout the skies cleared and we had a lovely view of the Kalalau valley and a beautiful rainbow.

The weather on Kauai can vary greatly so it's just a matter of chance I think more than the time of day to get good weather at the canyon. Keep in mind that the canyon might be sunny even if it is rainy on the north shore.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM

We went fairly early in the day and stopped at the various sites on the way to the top. I would do it differently so as to avoid the large crowds getting off buses. I would drive all the way to the top, hike around and then stop at the sites on the way down. By then the sight seeing buses will be gone and you can stop at the viewing areas without any waiting. I can't imagine what it would be like during a really busy time. We went there in Sept 2001 and there was nobody on planes or restaurants but there were sure lots of buses in the Canyon.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM

We were there mid-day, didn't have a clue about the fogged-in possibility and, sure enough, couldn't see a thing from that famous lookout point that you see in all the postcards. We waited around and in about 1/2 hour as the fog lifted we got the greatest view and photos. I don't think anyone could predict what the conditions will be up there at any given time.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM

We made this trip a few weeks ago. We left Kapa'a around 7 and made quick stops at Opaeka'a Falls and Wailua Falls on the way. We were driving up the canyon between about 9 and 10, and we did not have any issues with traffic or tour buses. There was one small tour bus at the lookout over Kalalau Valley. It also was fairly clear, but I agree with others that it will depend on current weather patterns. There were some clouds starting to build over the valley when we were there. The only "problem" I had with going up in the morning is that, when photographing Waimea Canyon, you are shooting into the sun from most vantage points. A lot of my pictures came out looking hazy.

Since I was traveling with my mother, we did not make the hike to the Pu'u o Kila Lookout, although I thought about it. It appeared to be a paved roadway that is just blocked off. It is a little hilly, but didn't seem like it would be too hard.