Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is the best "Seafood" restaurant in Maui and Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:20 AM
May

We'll be visiting both Maui and Oahu in 2 weeks. We love seafood and was just wondering where I can find the best seafood restaurants in Maui and Oahu with reasonable pricing. What are their atmosphere? Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:24 AM
Jennifer

May,

My husband and I would have to say Mama's Fish House on Maui is our favorite place. Great atmosphere and v. fresh fish dishes. Coming from NYC we are very picky when it comes to restaurants. They have a website so you might want to check it out.

-Jennifer

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
May

Great! I've heard a lot about Mama's fish house. I'm also from NYC. I guess we would have similar taste! Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Lenore

Mama's Fish House is realy good, but it's not inexpensive.....in fact it's quite expensive. Be prepared for sticker shock!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
May

I went on to the site, Mama's Fish House entrees are at least $35 and up. You're right Lenore, it's sure is expensive. But maybe it's worth it to give it a try. We only live once right? =)

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:58 AM
Sandy

Our favorite is a sushi, seafood place on Maui called Sansei (or is it Sensei?) It's in Kapalua. The best Ahi we've ever had. If you go early they do a discount where you get a percentage off your meal.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Lenore

Yes May, you only get one chance in life so that's why we spent the cash and had a super yummy dinner.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
aaa 2ccc.com

with this mamas fish house, whats not inexpensive? whats an example of pricing, as compared to nyc?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
ddddd

As a fellow New Yorker, who has eaten at some pricey NY restaurants, Mama's Fish House is pricey. The fish is good, but for a better value, go to the Maui Prince Hotel and eat at the main restaurant. The fish is awesome. Try the opakapaka-grey snapper, i think. Also, if you get the Entertainment book they used to have buy 1, get 1 free.

For the fellow NYorker, for good seafood value go to Wilkonson's, on the Upper East Side.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:16 PM
Postal

My Oahu siggestion is John Dominis Restaurant between Waikiki and Honolulu. It's on the water and the seafood is fantastic!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:20 PM
bettyk

Try Buzz's Wharf next to the Maui Ocean Center. Not the "best" but very good and reasonably priced too.

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:27 PM
dana

Prices right now for fish (Maui)
Just got back home yesterday!
Kaanapali: Hula Grill, Opakapaka $27 per person: \
Leilani's in Kaanapali: Several fish to choose from like Opakapaka (always the priciest fish at all the restaurants)
Opakapaka $27 market price; Ono, $23,
Mahi Mahi, $21;
Kimo's in Lahaina: Fish priced from $19.95 to $23 (except Opakapaka which is $26) All threee previous restaurants
owned by T.s. Restaurants.
Cascades at the Hyatt REgency has wonderful atmosphere, and their Opaka
was $29 per person, and all their fish,
actually, including Ono, Mahi, Ahi, et ect were all priced at $29 p.p.
I think Lobster was running about $60 per person at most restaurants.
Also, in Kihei we met friends for dinner
at a wonderful place called Five Palms.
It's right on the Wailea border in the
Mana Kai Hotel. We had a fish called
Hebi, and it was about $36 per person for
most fish dishes there.
I'O at 505 Front Street, as well as Pacific'O are great restaurants as well.
More gourmet.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Patty

Mama's is very good and is something I would do for a first time visit. As far as cost to quality, I thought I'O's on Front Street in Lahaina was best and is a place I would go back to over and over. Not to say that I'O's is inexpensive, it's just not as expensive as Mama's.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Tracey

Our favorite resturant on Maui was The Maalaea Waterfront. Everything was excellent and moderate priced for Maui. However the wine prices were expensive. We found this resturant in the Ultimate Maui guide.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:46 AM
n

The better question is where is the fish not up to par. Everywhere I ate on Maui had great fish. They tended to have different flairs but the fish was always good. I like the Hula Grill since you can walk to the barefoot bar and watch the live entertainment afterword.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:00 AM
sally

Mama's Fish House is my Choice. It is expensive, but what we did was make reservations for the very end of their lunch hour. I can't remember when the break off is, just call, The choices are a little more limited but is much less expensive. Dining out in Maui is expensive. Being on a limited budget, if we wanted to go out for a nice dinner, we did the "late lunch" and saved a lot !

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Me

Nick's Fish Market is definitely one of the best seafood restaurants on Maui. It is expensive but the food and service are outrageous. It is at the Kea Lani.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Beth

What side of the island is Ma Ma's Fish House on? Where staying on the south end of the island in July. My favorite resturant in Maui is Roy's Kahana.

Old May 14th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Patty

Mama's is located on Kuau cove in the town of Paia (east of Kahului).

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:27 PM
LR

We were In Maui for our Honeymoon lasy tear and LOVED the Hula Grill in Kannapali and Pacific'o on Front St. in Lahaina. Both are on the water- very romantic- great service and seafood- very Hawaiian atmosphere at both. Have Fun!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -