Reload this Page >

SF-Grand Canyon-Vegas in early April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 11:47 PM
V

We plan to fly from San Francisco to Las Vegas for a week. We would like to visit Grand Canyon as well and were wondering if it's a better idea to drive or fly to Grand Canyon from Vegas.

How long is the drive or flight from Vegas to Grand Canyon?

How long should we spend in Grand Canyon?

We will not be hiking and just want to take a look at it. Should we make Grand Canyon a day trip by taking a small plane or helicopter tour?

I understand that there is such a tour available from Las Vegas. Is it dangerous?

Old Feb 15th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Paul Rabe

It's better to drive and spend a few hours just admiring the stunning beauty from the Rim (better still to hike, but you say you just want to look). Get firm lodging reservations in or near the Park, leave Vegas first thing in the morning, and arrive at the GC by mid-day. Admire one of the most beautiful spots in the world, then spend the night in or nearby. Do NOT miss the GC at sunrise, then depart for Vegas when you can pull yourself away.

Flightseeing tours are possible from Vegas and are safer than driving (i.e, you are more likely to die by driving to the Canyon than you are flying). They are expensive, force you to see the GC while an airplane engine roars in your ear, fail to give you its real beauty, cannot fly over its best parts, and ruin the serenity of those below you.

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 05:51 AM
E.

I agree with every word of the last reply. But if it is at all possible, I recommend the following "mini-trip" from Vegas. It requires two nites but it maximizes the pleasure of the entire stay:
You get up in the morning, armed with your AAA triptik, and drive your car across the Mohave desert from Vegas to the Canyon. As you drive, enjoy the "bleakness" of the Mohave, and get off the road to enjoy some mini-canyons and parched earth. As you get to the Canyon, 4-5 hours later, make certain you arrive to catch the sunset as it is quite beautiful. Go directly to the Canyon; later you can check in to your reserved room at one of the park's hotels (they're right there).
The next morn, arise to catch your plane ride over the Canyon (also reserved. Its the highlight!) Then travel south, straight through overpowering Oak Creek Canyon to gorgeous Sedona for the rest of the day (perhaps reserve a Pink Jeep Tour); stay overnight; then drive back to Vegas (you can do the Jeep Tour that next day if you prefer). This was an incredible minitrip, geographically compact considering the area, if you can possibly carve out the 3 days involved...

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 05:53 AM
Ed

I agree with every word of the last reply. But if it is at all possible, I recommend the following "mini-trip" from Vegas. It requires two nites but it maximizes the pleasure of the entire stay:
You get up in the morning, armed with your AAA triptik, and drive your car across the Mohave desert from Vegas to the Canyon. As you drive, enjoy the "bleakness" of the Mohave, and get off the road to enjoy some mini-canyons and parched earth. As you get to the Canyon, 4-5 hours later, make certain you arrive to catch the sunset as it is quite beautiful. Go directly to the Canyon; later you can check in to your reserved room at one of the park's hotels (they're right there).
The next morn, arise to catch your plane ride over the Canyon (also reserved. Its the highlight!) Then travel south, straight through overpowering Oak Creek Canyon to gorgeous Sedona for the rest of the day (perhaps reserve a Pink Jeep Tour); stay overnight; then drive back to Vegas (you can do the Jeep Tour that next day if you prefer). This was an incredible minitrip, geographically compact considering the area, if you can possibly carve out the 3 days involved...

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Ed

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Ed

Old Feb 19th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Ed