Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is the best resort in the Midwest? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-the-best-resort-in-the-midwest-444261/)

attyin99 Jun 22nd, 2004 09:30 AM

What is the best resort in the Midwest?

I am trying to plan a weekend road trip get-away with my husband for sometime in mid or late July. We live in Chicago and would like to find the absolute best resort/spa in the midwest for some R&R. I prefer not to drive more than 4 hours. The Kohler Lodge in WI is an obvious choice, but I'm concerned that it could end up overrated (& I've never seen it make CN Traveler's Lists). Service is a top priority. Any suggestions?

Cerlaurie Jun 22nd, 2004 01:12 PM

American Club was the first place I thought of. However, I have never stayed there so don't know if it is worth it. We really like the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva. I don't know if it is the best resort in the midwest but it has good restaurants, nice spa and is close to Chicago.

fun2travel Jun 22nd, 2004 01:43 PM

How about Eagle Ridge Resort in Galena? It's definitely within 4 hours and offers great golf, a newly renovated spa and a variety of accomodations from the lodge to villa's to houses. The scenery is beautiful. Galena shopping is quaint and a good way to spend the day.

I have stayed at the American Club and while it is impressive and relaxing I felt a bit foolish for spending that kind of money for what we got and still being in Wisconsin (I live in Illinois like you.)

attyin99 Jun 22nd, 2004 02:05 PM

fun2travel: How was the service and quality of the rooms themselves? We don't mind paying a lot if both are top-notch. Are the bathrooms as good as I would hope? if we book there, do you have any recommendations on which type of room to get? We really just want to be pampered for the weekend and enjoy the quiet. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

bri19sp Jun 22nd, 2004 04:08 PM

If you are real big into Golf, the American Club would be a good choice. It features some of the best courses in the USA let alone the Midwest.

The Grand Geneva Resort and Spa I feel is in a little better city if you like to shop and sitesee.

The American Club is a 5 star resort so i would'nt be too concerned about service.

indytravel Jun 22nd, 2004 05:46 PM

OK, I'm going to reveal way too much through my movie viewing habits, but where is the resort that the "American Wedding" movie was filmed?

I've looked on the 'net but got bogged down in all the results from google...

bri19sp Jun 22nd, 2004 07:07 PM

The shots from the Resort were from a Ritz Carlton in CA.

fun2travel Jun 23rd, 2004 05:27 AM

attyin99 -

I'm assuming your asking about the American Club and not Eagle Ridge. The bathrooms at the AC were of course top notch. We had a standard room and from what I remember (this was a few years ago) it was comfortable but not huge. I'm sure an upgraded room would be very nice. The Gardens at the AC are beautiful and I spent a lot of time wandering the courtyard in bliss. Our service was fine, we were with a group so at a lot of our meals, etc. we didn't need "personal" service. I do recall the staff being very friendly and the people working in the "pub" quite amusing. If you do go to the AC DO NOT MISS going to the Kohler showroom and seeing all the bathroom accessories, I know this sounds insane but this place is unbelieveable and was one of the highlights of our trip.

indytravel Jun 23rd, 2004 05:44 AM

Thanks bri19, I figured it would be Hollywood faked. :-)

rine1967 Jun 28th, 2004 11:01 AM

I have stayed at the American Club several times and recommend it highly. I will say that although the bathrooms are lovely, the rooms are just nice, not luxurious. My sister and I have made this resort our getaway for several years now and here are some of our tricks for good rooms and deals:
look online for deals--right now they are offering rooms in July and August for $189.
http://www.destinationkohler.com/tac/special_rates.html
If you make your reservation now, call back about once a week and see if there are any rate changes or deals. We prefer the Deluxe and Superior rooms. Mention that this is a special weekend for you two and you may be upgraded. For her birthday last year, I had my nieces and nephews fax a birthday greeting to my sister at the hotel. The hotel saw the message and upgraded us as a treat.
You get a coupon book when you check in-use it.
The gym facilities are top notch. Use the gym and then lay out by the pool and "lake". Rent bikes and ride around town, it is really lovely. For a nice dinner, make reservations at Whistling Straits. They have a shuttle to take you there-its about 15 min. away. Don't miss the Kohler Design Center and make reservations for the tour of the factory. Oh, and the Spa! WOW! Its worth one treatment just to use those facilities all day.
Also, we like Cucina restaurant at the shopping center. And, don't stay at the Inn at Woodlake, it is not as nice. And don't stay in the carriage house.

arjay Jun 29th, 2004 02:52 AM

Check out www.canoebay.com and also do a Fodors search for "Canoe Bay" in Wisconsin. It looks like a great place - haven't been.

gbhost Jun 29th, 2004 05:57 AM

The Homestead Resort on the shores of Lake Michigan's Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is a beutiful resort worthy of consideration. It's an all inclusive resort with beach and golf, pools and restaurants, with fantastic sight-seeing nearby. Or you can take short jaunts to Traverse City, Northern Michigan's largest resort town, or Leland, a fun little harbor town with neat shops and restaurants (Fishtown). Check out the Homestead's web site at thehomesteadresort.com

bettycrocker Jun 29th, 2004 06:11 AM

What about the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island Michigan? No motorized vehicles allowed there take a Ferry across then a horse drawn carriage to the Hotel. That is the Ultimate. There is also the Petosky area in Michigan with the Bayview Inn I am sure they have a website. The Garland Resort in Lewiston Michigan. I agree with another writer the Homestead is lovely but more condo like. Leland is just lovely. Charlevoix Michigan is a lovely area - If I think of anymore I will write them.
Betty

lynnejoel1015 Jul 11th, 2004 05:13 PM

American Club all the way! I had a roommate in college who worked there as a maid during summers, and according to her, the standards were impeccable.

travleis Jul 11th, 2004 06:56 PM

I think you've narrowed your choices so heavily with the 4 hour drive restriction that your question should be re-phrased: "What is the best resort in northern Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin or western Michigan.
There are very few top notch resorts in this area.
If your question was 4 hours travel including fly/drive, that would open up quite a few options.

HappyCheesehead Jul 18th, 2004 07:15 PM

I have also heard Canoe Bay is fab - we wanted to stop there one day as we were driving in the area. They would not let us (non-guests) in to look around so as not to disturb the folks staying there. I think it is owned by an ex-Chicago TV personality , (maybe a weatherman?) Dan Dobrolowski - I know I am not getting that name quite right but it is close,