Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is the best place to spend in summers in Texas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-the-best-place-to-spend-in-summers-in-texas-1041629/)

aprilmartins33 Mar 31st, 2015 07:59 AM

What is the best place to spend in summers in Texas?

hello folks, I am planning vacations to Texas i wanna know which place in texas you would suggest me to spend my vacation. Is comal river better then Guadeloupe?

BigRuss Mar 31st, 2015 09:45 AM

The best place in Texas for the summer is outside the state. It's bloody hot. Arizona is worse.

logandog Mar 31st, 2015 10:40 AM

One would suspect the gulf coast.
It certainly is NOT San Antonio!

RoamsAround Mar 31st, 2015 10:50 AM

Agree, with BigRuss. Go to Texas in the summer only if you crave 100+ degree F. days. A great many Texans go somewhere else in summer. If you must go to Texas in summer go to one of the Gulf Coast regions.

Lest you think I have something against Texas let me assure you, I don't. I've had a home there for close to 25 years.

charli47 Mar 31st, 2015 11:06 AM

If it is the only time you can go it is very hot you could go to he HIll Country and hang out in the Garner State Park area (Frio River). A visit to Wimberley is nice. But I agree it is very hot and you don't want to be on the Gulf at that time because then you are dealing with 80 and 90% humidity. I live in Houston so I am very familiar.

BigRuss Mar 31st, 2015 12:19 PM

PS - BigRuss lives in Texas too. I have some experience with my initial comment.

dbdurand Mar 31st, 2015 01:57 PM

For Pete's sake! The OP didn't ask for a tutorial about the summer heat in Texas. The question was which is better, Comal river or Guadeloupe, both of which are recreation areas outside of San Antonio. Found this out on the Internet.

longhorn55 Apr 1st, 2015 12:51 AM

The OP asked, "which place in texas you would suggest me to spend my vacation." All of the posters have given truthful answers that they would not recommend going to Texas at all in the summer and, if the OP does, they should go to the Gulf Coast. As a Texan, I totally agree with that recommendation.

As for whether the Comal or Guadalupe River is better...I can't see coming to Texas just to spend time on either river.

jayne1973 Apr 1st, 2015 05:10 AM

The Comal is good to combine with Schlitterbaun water park in New Braunfels. As others have suggested, the Guadalupe floats are fun from Garner State Park. Both areas are very popular, so make reservations early.

Definitely head for water in the summer. South Padre Island (near Brownsville) has the best beaches.

jamie99 Apr 1st, 2015 01:14 PM

Not only is it hot in Texas in the summer, but the other problem I had was when going inside, say to a bar or restaurant, they often had the AC cranked up so high that I would often end up with a runny nose and once a head cold.

GrumpyBear Apr 15th, 2015 04:54 PM

Colorado.

Seriously though, a little more information in your question would help you to get better answers. Texas is a vast state with all kinds of summer activities ranging from sliding down the sand dunes in Monahans to dipping your toes in the water at Galveston. Tell us what kinds of activities you enjoy and you'll get some useful answers.

starrs Apr 15th, 2015 06:14 PM

Somewhere in the Hill country or at the beach.

amykat22 May 10th, 2015 07:12 AM

Where are you from--if you're coming from somewhere incredibly hot! it might not be that bad.

ekscrunchy May 12th, 2015 02:47 AM

I think April has long ago left the building…noticed she was carrying a raft.