Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is the best oceanfront condo/beach house etc on Poipu Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-the-best-oceanfront-condo-beach-house-etc-on-poipu-beach-282589/)

InfSker Dec 28th, 2002 02:28 PM

What is the best oceanfront condo/beach house etc on Poipu Beach?

I am too looking for a condo in Kauai and have come across a reasonably priced villa called Hideaway Cove Villas. They have a website of the same name.

Suzie Dec 30th, 2002 08:04 AM

These villas do not appear to be ocean front. But you are correct they are reasonably priced. <BR><BR>We stayed on the second floor of building one at Whalers Cove. Ours was right on the ocean with unobstructed views of the ocean from the living room and master bedroom and from the huge lanai. It's more expensive than the place you've located. We arranged our reservation through Suite Paradise www.suite-paradise.com. Whalers Cove has a pool adjacent to the ocean as well as a jacuzzi.

Sarah Dec 30th, 2002 08:14 AM

Suzie did you pay a lot for that Whaler's Cove condo? A lot for me is $300 a night. The way you talk about it I really want to go but I am on a very poor budget even considered booking at the Kokee state lodge $35 a night. I think a more practicale middle ground would be something like Kuhio Shores $900 for the week. I want to hike Kokee. Talk to me at the end of this financial quarter Kokee lodge might be a pipe dream..... NEVER!!!<BR><BR>Infsker sorry to hijack your thread but nobody is a answering today.

Suzie Dec 30th, 2002 08:24 AM

Sarah, I think we paid $265 per night. This was Sept 2001 sao it looks like their prices went up a little since then. Also it was value season and we stayed 5 nights. They also arranged our convertible rental car for us at a discount.<BR><BR>The condo is pretty big. 2 bedroom 2 bath. The 2nd bedroom has 2 single beds in it. Hope this helps.

InfSker Dec 31st, 2002 07:46 AM

Suzie, other than that it is not on the beach, do you know anything more about the Hideaway Cove Villas? They seem to be a block from Poipu Beach. Also, do you know anything about the Waikomo Stream villas.<BR><BR>Thanks

Suzie Dec 31st, 2002 08:06 AM

Actually the Waikomo Stream Villas are just off the road that takes you to all the big resorts in Poipu. I noticed them for the abundance of vegetation that surrounded the villas. They are well taken care of from the outside view. You can easily drive to some good beaches and they are close to some good restaurants. They appear to be a good deal for the price. If you want to see where they are in relation to the ocean here's an aerial view. http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krwaikomostream.html On the right of the screen is the Waikomo Stream that empties into the ocean. It's very rocky there and along that road you see is a low rock wall that separates you from the ocean. <BR><BR>I guess I was just responding to your title in which you indicate you are looking for oceanfront.

InfoSker Dec 31st, 2002 08:12 AM

Suzie, thanks for the info. Waikomo sounds good. Now I need to decide for about the same price whether to stay at the waikomo or the hideaway villas.

Suzie Dec 31st, 2002 08:37 AM

If you can walk from the Hideaway Cove Villas to Poipu Beach that might be a better choice. The walk to a sandy beach from the Waikomo Stream is much longer than a block or two and is most likely the beach at the Sheraton or Kaihuna Plantation. Both a bit of a walk. The Waikomo Stream does have a small pool while the Villas do not if that matters. If the Villas are close to Poipu Beach you'd be close to a really yummy restaurant called BRENNECKE'S BEACH BROILER.<BR>

InfoSKer Dec 31st, 2002 08:42 AM

I know that the Nihi Kai condos are right across the street from the beach, so I used mapquest to look up the distance between the two. The results showed a distance of .12 miles which showed the hideaway right in the back of the Nihi Kai. Thanks for the restaurant suggestion.