what is mid March like in DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to take a family spring break vacation to DC in early to mid March.What is the weather like and where is a good place to stay?
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:51 AM

betsy-

Weather can be gorgeous and springy or slightly colder with a possibility of snow--just depends on the weather and March is hard to predict...

I do know that Easter weekend is normally gorgeous as that is the opening of the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC...

How large is the family and what types of sights are you going to want to see?

Hotels--depends on your budget...Which is what????? Need a little input at to which area of town you want to stay in...
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We have a family of four with our kids being ages 13 and 10. We were thinking of staying in Alexandria, Va near the Metro station. We like to stay at a hotel that includes breakfast of somesort. We live in Texas so if the weather is not too warm that's okay with us. As far as activities go, we would like to see the major monuments, a couple of Smithsonian museums, see Arlington National Cemetary and go see the Capital Steps. Any other suggestions would be welcome. My husband and I have been to DC a couple of times before kids so understand that parking does not exist. We would like to use public transportation and the "hop on hop off" bus type tours.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:54 AM

Alexandria , near the Metro station, puts you out of the loop for touring Alexandria...

If you are only picking Alexandria for location to metro, why not do Pentagon City,Va..or even Crystal City...as the hotels there are located right over the Metro with quick access into DC..

OR you could stay at the HYATT in Arlington,Va right across the Key Bridge to Georgetown...This particular
Hyatt is across the street from the metro and way way closer to DC and all it's sights and restaurants...You could easily pop into Gerogetown for dinner and your kids would love it there...
I think the Hyatt has a Bed and Breakfast rate..but you need to call and ask...

There is also this hotel in GEORGETOWN that is an all-suite hotel offering continental bkfst daily :
http://www.georgetownsuites.com/
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM

I'm going to agree & disagree with Andy. The Hyatt in Arlington is VERY convenient to the Metro - Rosslyn Station, the closest Virginia station to DC itself. I've stayed at a nearby Holiday Inn, and a little futher, but walkable is the Quality Inn Iwo Jima, with free parking and an enclosed pool, but no breakfast. Virginia Suites in Arlington have free breakfast, free shuttle (altho walkable) to the Metro. Be aware that Rosslyn area, while safe and less expensive than DC is very boring -- not much as far as restaurants go, but again, a walk from Hyatt or Hol Inn to Georgetown is possible, or take the Orange Line west a few stops (Courthouse, Clarendon)

Near the Metro in Alexandria are Embassy Suites, Hilton, Radisson and others, and I disagree with Andy on this because you should be able to walk down King Street for shopping & dining & walk the nearby old neighborhoods. But the ride to the District itself will take much longer.

I believe there is an Embassy Suites near Bethesda (Friendship Heights?) right OVER a red-line Metro stop. Also check Summerfield Suites by Wyndham at Embassy Square -- breakfast, evening managers reception, big rooms, near Dupont Circle. Enjoy - DC has become one of my favorite "long weekend" visits.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM

Yes, it's the Friendship Heights Metro that has an Embassy Suites directly above it. We've stayed there, and it was SO nice to come "home" and not have a trek after getting off the train, it's literally just up a couple of escalators, and it's part of a mall with typical suburban stores and restaurants.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM

I'd say March weather is generally gray and dull, one of the most unattractive months, and often quite wet. It's too early to have much vegetation, although there will be some of the early bulbs blooming, but nothing on the trees. It is probably not going to be that cold, it's often fairly moderate temp. in March (although an occasional snow of several inches). It's just nothing to look at, dull and gray with nothing on the trees.

I've lived here about 14 years and don't remember it ever being gorgeous in March, but maybe I am forgetting those few days. At least it shouldn't be that cold.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM

COLD!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM
LN

March can be iffy but GENERALLY it's quite cold and we get most of our snowfall then. And yes, we do have Cherry Blossom Festival in April and many times the blossoms aren't ready yet.

I generally advise people to stay in or very near the city. There's lots of good hotels that offer great rates. Many people seem to like staying in Dupont Circle. I like it down around the Mall where the JW Marriott is. Check some of the hotel sites and see what they're offering.