Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is good to do in Houston? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-good-to-do-in-houston-596664/)

madrk Mar 5th, 2006 06:50 PM

What is good to do in Houston?

Hi. I have just moved to Houston. Can you please tell me what the best things about Houston as well as places to go to afterwork.

Thanks

LDLee Mar 6th, 2006 03:40 AM

Troll? Only post.

This is too general a question. We need to more about you, like location, interests, kids/no kids, to help us give you answers that specifically fit you.

madrk Mar 6th, 2006 04:30 PM

I'm 28, not married and have just moved to Houston from London for work. I just want to know the interesting places to visit, such as good nightclubs, bars and many other suggestive places to go. Thanks

Jezmund Mar 6th, 2006 04:52 PM

Depends on what you like. If your idea of fun involves live music, getting down, hot and sweaty, hooting, hollering, shaking the dope out,and just generally letting loose and getting it all out; then you may want to join the rest of us at the Galant Knight, the Meridian, the Continental Club, Helio's, Dean's Credit Clothing or other various live music venues. If instead you like getting drunk and fighting with white trash you may want to go to Sherlock's, the Tavern, or the Wild West. If you are like most of the rest of Houston and you are pretentious, simple minded, and like to think you're very beautiful and better then most people you will enjoy any of Houston's midtown or downtown bars; specifically, the Red Door, Opus, M bar, or any one of countless others. Let me know more of what you are into and I'll be happy to help you with some more suggestions. I hope you enjoy Houston. It took me awhile but I really enjoy it now. P.S. I hope you don't live in the suburbs.

LDLee Mar 7th, 2006 08:11 AM

Sorry about the troll question. I can explain later.

It's been a while since I have been in your demographic. I will check with some of our staff and see what they suggest.

Here's what I do know. There are many clubs in the downtown and midtown area (just south of downtown). One good resource if you just want some names is the Houston Press.

If you want to hang out on a patio and have a beer, try Onion Creek on White Oak.

For the next two months, you will probably think the weather is amazing. Enjoy it while you can. Beginning in May an dending aournd October, it will get very, very hot. Enjoy the spring weather while you can. If you play golf, do it. If you run, go to Memorial Park. In April the Houston International Festival will take place downtown. Lots of live music there.

There are many British ex-pats here, primarily involved with the energy business or banking. Some of the hangouts include Red Lion Pub on Shepherd, The Richmond Arms and Bull and Bear Tavern on Westheimer.

I can't beleive the Gallant Knight is still around. I used to go there years ago.