Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   what is a single room?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-a-single-room-521976/)

Ankita Apr 17th, 2005 04:22 PM

what is a single room??

I am trying to book a hotel in switzerland but keep coming across single room vs double room....now does single room mean, a room for only one guest or what does it mean? Hope I dont sound too ignorant...I am going to travel with my husband and wanted to make sure we;re not stuck with a single bed.
Thanks

walkinaround Apr 17th, 2005 04:35 PM

if you are going with your husband, then you need to book a double room. only one person is allowed when booking a single room.

happytrailstoyou Apr 17th, 2005 04:39 PM

A single room is a room to be occupied by one person, whereas a double room is for two people. Very often a double room has two twin beds or a double bed (also sometimes called a "matrimonial"). Queen and King beds are not common at budget hotels in Europe.

A single room may be a room that is smaller than a double room, or it may be a double room that is occupied by one person.

nytraveler Apr 17th, 2005 04:50 PM

A single room is a very small room with one twin bed in it. If you have booked a single and the hotel runs out they will put you in a small double for the same price. But a couple definitely can;t book a single.

walkinaround Apr 18th, 2005 02:56 AM

nyt...
in fact you usually get a double bed when booking a "single room". i often travel alone all over europe and i can't remember ever getting a room with one single bed (they certainly do exist but just not very common in my experience).

but yes, a couple cannot book a single no matter what size bed it contains.

happytrailstoyou Apr 18th, 2005 06:21 AM

As a single on a tours in Turkey and Israel, I was always given a room with two twin beds.

justme22 Apr 18th, 2005 04:24 PM

got the single room in austria, it was a twin bed with another 3 feet to the wall! the bathroom was about 4x4 feet it was one continuous piece of fiberglass! the sink, shower and toilet! single would in no way accomodate 2 there.

dsm22 Apr 18th, 2005 05:05 PM

I booked single rooms while traveling last year. My hotel rooms in London at the Holiday Inn in Victoria, the Royal Terrace in Edinburgh, and my room in a hotel in Glascow all had on single twin bed.

nytraveler Apr 19th, 2005 05:48 AM

Well -

We've traveled with three lots of times and inEurope in almost all cases the single room was in fact a single - vey tiny - with one twin bed in it. (In the US I've never seen a single room at all.) At check in they often offer the "one in a double room" option - but at a very inflated price. I thnk it depends on the age of the hotel. Older ones tend to have more real single rooms.

suze Apr 19th, 2005 06:54 AM

Single in Amsterdam at budget hotel was tiny room with 1 barely single size bed.