Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is a logical amount of time to pack for a one week long trip?

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A friend at work was telling me about her preparation for a week long trip for her husband and her to San Francisco. Her flight left at 9:00 am and she told me that she spent the entire evening and night packing for a trip. (No sleep that night) Pressed further she told me her total packing time was about 10 hours.

I tried to picture in my mind what a person would do packing for 10 hours for two people for a one week trip, but ran out of ideas.

It would take me about an hour. How about you?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually start thinking about what I'm going to pack a few days before the trip. I wait until the day before to pack. Takes me probably about an hour max. And then a few minutes the day of to pack last minute things like hair dryer, toothbrush, etc. I am a very light packer.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually put my clothes in the dryer before I go to bed and then leave myself and extra half hour in the morning to get them from the dryer to the suitcase.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She might have included washing, drying and ironing her clothes in that 10 hrs.

Utahtea
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And, perhaps, part of the ten hours was spent going to the mall to shop for new clothes, shoes and toothbrush.
Oh, yeah, and there was the ten minutes or so to re-gas the car to go to the mall.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM
GoTravel

If all of my laundry and ironing is done, 20 minutes tops.

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Less than 1 hour. I can't even imagine how it could take 10 hours to pack for a trip, unless you had to travel out of the state to pick up your clothes!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going on vacation tomorrow (yay!!!!) and today I packed for myself, my husband and my 3 year old, which included finishing laundry, folding and packing. It probably took me 1-2 hours tops. Ten hours. My goodness, what is she taking? Is she going to Antartica?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a week before departure I begin a list of everything I want to take with me.
I keep a packed toiletry bag and refill everything when I return from a trip so that's always ready to go!
Takes me about a half hour to pack, as long as the clothes are cleaned and dry!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a list of things to take from the last trip, so it takes few minutes to update according to the season, for example, umbrella is off the list or added. Then it takes more talking "what do I wear so it's all color coordinated" then actual packing I don't beleive she didn't get any sleep because of actual packing, must be pre-travel anxiety.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I love organizing and doublechecking (almost anally, I admit) I sometimes start setting out my clothes up to a week ahead. I like seeing my neat piles and anticipating my trip! However, if I were pressed I could do it in 1/2 hour if laundry were finished add 15 more minutes for my husband's stuff or double checking his stuff to make sure 'that' t-shirt didn't get in!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:44 AM
itlyen

Just wondering if wives would trust their husbands to pack for them. And would it lead to faster packing times?

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish my wife would let me pack for her -- I would leave the kitchen sink at home.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha ha Budman, good one!
I stopped traveling with some of my women friends for that very reason, they can't seem to get out of the house without bring everything inside the house with them!! After my 1,000th delay at an airport baggage claim I finally had it! I now travel alone, with like minded and light packing girlfriends or with men friends!
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally make a list of clothing I want to take about a week before the trip which gives me a chance to make sure all the laundry is done. I pack the night before and with the list it generally takes me about 30 minutes. I also find the list helpful for keeping the stuff I take to a minimum because I can make sure I take plenty of mix and match clothing.

Packing for a camping trip will take longer, but with my list it goes pretty quickly.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weeks before the flight, my wife makes these little notes as she thinks about things we'll need while traveling. The night before departure she spends about 2 hours, max, packing. This before trips to Australia and New Zealand for 6 weeks.
John
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will admit hat it often takes me that long (10 hours), but that includes the time it takes to wash stuff, and locate missing items, and talk on the phone, and decide to dust something....

and that's when I'm not using a list.

Once i have a list it takes about 9.5 hours.

>
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty awful - I try on lots of clothing when deciding what to take with me. I have to make sure everything fits and everything "goes" together. That way I can pack very lightly, taking only 2 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of shoes on a weeklong trip. But the toiletry thing is a cinch...like irishdame, I have one toiletry bag containing small sizes of everything I will need on my trip. I also have a smaller bag containing medications I might need (some pepto pills, a few allergy pills, bandaids, etc.)

So, I'd say it takes me 1-2 hours to pack for a weeklong trip, as long as I don't have to shop for anything.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put me in the group of people who have a preset list and travel toiletries bag, and spend 30 minutes or less on the, um, total packing experience.

I think the OP had better ask her friend how she spent that 10 hours, since we haven't come up with any good ideas. The friend wasn't out shopping -- she said she spent a sleepless night packing.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes me at least 7 hours to pack for my family of four when we go on weeks vacation. I do laundry, iron and then pack the kids clothes in ziploc bags. One outfit per bag complete with socks, underwear, hair thingie. Then I squish all the air out of the bag until its really flat. This way I can 1. make sure they have all the clothes they need, 2. pack everything for them in small rolling suitcases that they can carry on and 3. never have to worry about them dressing themselves while on vacation. Its a bit of work at home but its worthwhile at our destination. I essentially do the same thing for my self without the ziplocs. Now if they made ziplocs large enough for my husband's stuff ...

On the other hand when I go on a business trip I pack in about 30 seconds. Just whip the suits and blouses into the garment bag, match up some shoes and I'm done. The hair dryer and toiletry kit never come out of the suitcase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO