Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What is a good city to live in in Florida. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-is-a-good-city-to-live-in-in-florida-1073305/)

lashaunamatthews Sep 29th, 2015 02:42 PM

What is a good city to live in in Florida.

We are originally from Philadelphia. We moved to Florida 4 years ago and live in Ocala. We want to relocate again to a city that has more to offer but not as busy as Philadelphia was. We have a 10 year old so we need to know about schools also. We want to be close enough to things to do but not right in the middle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nytraveler Sep 29th, 2015 03:55 PM

There ae several web sites for those seeking to move that provide detailed information on neighborhoods, crime, costs, schools etc. Suggest you start a search with those.

Separately, obviously jobs and income are key issues. Are there a lot of job openings in your fields? And what sort of income are you looking at - that is do you have very specific desires for housing costs?

Dukey1 Sep 29th, 2015 04:35 PM

I assume the OP already realizes jobs and incomes are a "big issue?"

IMO "the" issue is the vagueness of the request, i.e., the "something more" than is in Ocala. As in what sort of something more?

NewbE Sep 29th, 2015 07:36 PM

Assuming that the OP means more urban amenities than Ocala, I would recommend Tampa as meeting all the stated requirements, including excellent public schools, in parts of the city, anyway.

Dukey1 Oct 8th, 2015 03:44 AM

All that and SNOW, too!

richardlawson Oct 8th, 2015 05:40 AM

I really like the Tampa city in Florida. It is a place of major business center, it’s also known for its museums and other cultural offerings. If you love festivals, you’ll be right at home in Tampa. There’s a festival every day. The food in Tampa will makes anyone who’s a foodie at heart fall in love immediately. Any day of the week you can choose from a variety of events and museums throughout the city.

sylvia3 Oct 8th, 2015 05:40 AM

I've heard that Paris is nice.

sylvia3 Oct 8th, 2015 05:43 AM

Seriously, the towns/suburbs around Tampa would be a place to start.
(Tahoe was just a weird mention, given the title of your post.)

garyt22 Oct 8th, 2015 06:41 AM

The commute from Lake Tahoe to Florida is about 4 days... Good thing the price of gas is down....

Bedar Oct 8th, 2015 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, Tahoe hasn't had much snow in the past few years. A cousin visited Ocala recently and said that there was nothing there - no restaurants, no cemeteries (which is weird with all the old people who live in FL).

janisj Oct 8th, 2015 12:24 PM

'Tahoe' was posted by a Tahoe area real estate broker . . . (The OP hasn't been back)

NeoPatrick Oct 8th, 2015 01:21 PM

You've lived in the middle of Florida for four years. Have you traveled the state? That's what you need to do. Only you will know what you like. I'd suggest (assuming there is school and work), you start taking some weekend trips and see a few places.

paulomar Nov 20th, 2015 03:31 AM

If you like beaches then you have to live in Panama City Beach,Florida. It is very beautiful and awesome place for vacation. There are many things to do on the beach and every year. a lot of tourist went to this place.

Dukey1 Nov 20th, 2015 06:04 AM

I love it: "all the old people who live in Florida" Yep, we're old and we're rich. Hope you get this far.

janisj Nov 20th, 2015 12:45 PM

The OP registered and posted two months ago, has not returned. The thread was topped by an ad.