Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   what if you find a lower ticket price online for airfare before you fly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-if-you-find-a-lower-ticket-price-online-for-airfare-before-you-fly-236897/)

terry Jul 4th, 2002 11:28 PM

what if you find a lower ticket price online for airfare before you fly?

I already bought a ticket for airfare cause the prices seemed to be going up all the time but still have a few weeks before I fly so what my question is is, what if you find a lower ticket price online anytime before you fly, will the airline (in my case Alaska) refund the difference? I check Orbitz daily and I know the prices sometimes go down the day before a flight leaves so I wonder if I can get a refund if it does. And if so how? Can you do it calling the airline on the phone? how does it work experts out there?

ukj Jul 5th, 2002 02:04 AM

If you bought your ticket on line you are out of luck

Sera Jul 5th, 2002 02:09 AM

You can have the ticket reissued at the lower price, but you must pay the reissue fee. Usually $75 to $100. If the price has dropped more than that amount, it would be worth it. Also, you must keep in mind that there is a chance that the lower fare would not be available on the flights that you originally booked.<BR><BR>Hope that helps.

xxx Jul 5th, 2002 04:25 AM

You can get a coupon for the difference not sure if this applies to discount agencies. I purchased and American Airlines ticket JFK to SFO for $445 the next week or two the tickets went down to $335. I received a $90 coupon, no change fee you just can't use the coupon for a change should you want to do that you can only apply it towards a ticket and within a years time of flight you received it for

xxx Jul 5th, 2002 04:26 AM

PS you can buy it online but it should come directly from Airline.

xxx Jul 5th, 2002 04:27 AM

Finally I don't think this applies to foreign carriers.

Chris Jul 5th, 2002 06:11 AM

We purchased tickets to Denver once and the price went down (Continental). They gave us ailine dollars to use on a future flight. So I think it depends on the airline. In this case, the tickets had to be for the exact same flights on the exact same days.<BR>We did not pay any penalty for this reason. If you change times or flights or days, I don't know if this applies.<BR>I have used Orbitz for flights, but never made a change. Their customer service seemed helpful, why don't you call and ask them.<BR>But you really didn't say if your tickets were purchased through Orbitz, or you werer just checking prices on them. I think the airline will have to be offering the same fare. When I purchaed on Orbitz, the fare was not available directly with the ailine I used. So that may make a difference.

terry Jul 5th, 2002 09:02 PM

I bought the tickets over the phone with Alaska directly as I couldn't find a lower price online then. I was wondering if I find a lower price online with the same carrier, same flights if the airline will refund the difference?

Why would They? Jul 5th, 2002 09:17 PM

Ticket prices vary based on many criteria so that the airline may try to maximize revenue. If everyone flew for the lowest price, that lowest price wouldn't be very low and allow the airline to stay in business. I suppose you would like the stock market to work the same way (in my dreams!)

Joan Jul 5th, 2002 10:01 PM

This just happened to me with Alaska airlines.I purchased the tickets over the phone and noticed the price came down a lot on the internet.Called Alaska airlines and asked what there lowest fare for the same time was. It matched the price I had seem online. <BR> You have two choices one is to take a $50 dollar penalty per ticket and get cash back.Or you can get a credit for the full price by taking a voucher that you have 1 year to use on another flight with Alsaka airlines.I said I would take the voucher and,was told I had to go to the airlines ticket counter to do this in person; which I did. It was kind of a pain but I saved $130 per ticket.

Postal Jul 6th, 2002 12:34 PM

I bought round trip tickets from Florida to Rome online and the ticket price dropped more than $500 each just before we left. I went to the Delta office and they refunded the difference minus $100 each. I was given the option of getting the entire difference (with no $100 "fine")in a Delta voucher but chose the money.