Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What hotel would you recommend in Disney? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-hotel-would-you-recommend-in-disney-46684/)

mark Jun 18th, 1999 07:14 AM

What hotel would you recommend in Disney?

My wife and I are planning a trip perhaps this Fall to see Disney. Have been several time when the kids were little. Where can two adults stay and enjoy each other without spending a fortune? What about restaurants? How is Pleasure Island?

Julie Jun 18th, 1999 07:26 AM

If you're visiting the parks and staying long enough to make it worth buying an annual pass, there are better deals on rooms. I called for October and they are very busy due to some golf tournament and many conventions. Sept was easier to get rooms (but I guess hurricane season). The Coronado is more of a convention resort and therefore perhaps less kids than other resorts -- with AP discount around $100 a night. Port Orleans is around that amount too and is nice. The Boardwalk and Yacht Club are nice for adults, however, are more like $180-$220 a night. As everyone will tell you, if you can't get the resort you want, keep calling back -- rooms open up every day. <BR> <BR>I liked Pleasure Island's Comedy Club and Adventurer's Club, but I think my favorite place for night time activity is Jelly Rolls -- a piano bar on the Boardwalk (by Boardwalk Hotel). It's a sing-a-long piano bar and is lots of fun. . . <BR> <BR>I liked Wolfgang Puck's -- some of the restaurants also have discounts if you have an annual pass (ie 10-20% off meal). We did Chef Mickey's which is a character dinner (yes, just us adults!) and it was great -- that's about $20 each though. . . <BR> <BR>MGM's Mama G's (or something like that) is a good resturant and if you have dinner there they give you a pass for seating at the Fantasmic show (a must) - then you don't have to wait in line so long -- but seats are so woopy either. I've also heard good things about Brown Derby, Portabella's and Fulton's. . . all depends on what you want to eat. Don't miss the Yacht Club's Beaches & Cream for dessert (actual meals are greasy burgers) -- but get the oreo mudslide thing and SHARE -- it's fabulous. My husband and I will be there for a week in Sept and can't wait!! If you have any questions, e-mail me -- my friend and I are becoming WDW fanatics!

lynn Jun 18th, 1999 10:16 PM

Mark - <BR> <BR>If just you and your wife are going and you can spring for the $$$, stay at the Yatch Club. I did this a couple of years ago and being able to walk (or take the boat) to Epcot was great. <BR> <BR>Agree with Julie about Jelly Rolls. I was on my was somewhere else so I didn't go in but it looked alot better than Pleasure Island. To me, Pleasure Island looked like a hang out for 22 year-olds out for drinking and finding a mate, if you know what I mean. A little tacky for my taste. <BR> <BR>Agree again regarding Beaches & Cream. Excellent. As far as dinner, skip the Rainforest Cafe and go to Fultons. I had the most incredible King Crab Claws I'd ever had in my life. And my dad used to sell seafood wholesale so I've been around it alot. They were incredible and the service was superb. The waiter offered to go get us whatever dessert we wanted from the restaurant down the walk if Fultons was out. <BR> <BR>:-)

CB Jun 19th, 1999 04:46 AM

The Yacht Club was expensive but well worth the cost for us. We did not need a rental car most days but were able to easily get one for a day out of the resort. The pool at the Yacht Club was a wonderful place to spend time each day, with varied water temps, speeds, and even a "sandy" floor in one area and a small waterfall. <BR>

bigthinkers Jun 19th, 1999 03:25 PM

I vote for the Polynesian for romance (feels very tropical, has a beautiful enterance, lovely rooms, and is right on the monorail) if you have the $$$, but if not, opt for the All Star Resorts and spend your time out of your room, or the Caribbean Beach or Dixie Landings for moderately priced and a little bigger room. I haven't stayed at the Boardwalk, but it was very pleasant to walk around it's shops, it had a terrific pool, and it's right at the "back door" of Epcot. My husband and I found Pleasure Island to be so crowded and the lines to get into the clubs so long that we were turned off by it and went to the Marketplace and enjoyed the views and the ice cream instead. We loved the little cafe in the Polynesian; had a beautiful meal and watched the Electric Light Parade (?) on the lagoon from our table. Very romantic. Don't forget about Typhoon Lagoon if you're into waterparks. Much more romantic than Blizzard Beach, obviously, and it's so nice to float around the park. I've only known September in Florida to be beastly hot and humid, if that's when you're going. You really can't make too many bad choices at Disney. Have a terrific time!

Bill Jun 20th, 1999 12:15 PM

You may be intderested in the Perri House B&B. It's located at the back entrance to Disney Village just outside of the Disney grounds and is much cheaper and (we feel) nicer than the madness of Disney. My wife & I have stayed there a few times and relish the peace and quiet in the country. Call them at 1-800-780-4830. Have a nice trip!