Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What happened to the thread on tipping at the Kaiser Grille??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:46 PM
where'sthekaiser

There was an interesting thread going yesterday regarding tipping for a big group at the Kaiser Grille. It seems to have disappeared for not apparent reason that I can discern.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Dax

Fodors censors at work. IMO, they have gone overboard in deletions, from not monitoring this site to deleting every little thing! You can't win!

Here's there email addy: [email protected].

Maybe if enough of us complain they will knock it off...

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Sorry

It's probably my fault it's gone.

I was so curious about hearing "the other side" of the story..that I faxed the thread to the Kaiser Grill for comment.

I guess they got Fodor's to pull it..instead of commenting....maybe there was some truth to her story after all.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:17 PM
JJ

You probably shouldn't have faxed it, but then again Fodor's has become heavy handed deleting stuff. I don't think their employees have enough to do so they are letting them have at this site.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Monique

I'm the one who had the issue with the tipping/ odd waitress behavior. You faxed it? What did it say? The only thing I could figure out after reading everyones responses was that the only way our family could have been at fault other than my uncle stiffing the waitress which I know he didn't was that there was a 20% service fee (not gratuity) added to the bill. I got this from a waiter who said they did have that at some restaurants. In that case the waitress should have possibly explained it in a nice rational way since this isn't a real standard in the dining industry as far as I am aware.
Anyways I would be curious as what they had to say. I know we should have gone back to the restaurant at the time but we had a large party who was very embarassed on a street corner in downtowm P.S. on a very busy Saturday. I am somewhat new to Fodors thats also why I never brought it up before.
Thanks for all the answers to my questions. I don't think that anything like that will happen again but I will know how to handle the situation if it does.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Elizabeth

I am starting to think that Fodors has a new employee in charge of this site who is overdoing it because she is new. Realistically, this is at most a one-person job, and a usual job for a new/young person--it's no authoritarian "them," probably.

As a former young editor, I'd say to you--you can take it easy here, it's okay, let people write what they want to, the freedom is what brings people here, and I think that's what your employer wants.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:46 PM
dawson

My guess is that there are a couple possibilities and maybe both are in plauy. (1) Fodors.com went through their own version of "dot bomb" a few months ago and laid off a bunch of staff> Responsibilities likely got consolidated and shifted. Ultimately (like in the last week), someone who is not very seasoned was given moderating responsibilities and is now making heavy handed, subjective judgements about what is appropriate or inappropriate. Or, is on a "I am god because I control the fodors website universe" head trip.

This particular thread seemed relevant (and appropriate) enough to me. But, (2) I also think sending it to the restaurant probably precipitated a call from them to the editors and *wham*, deleted. It is their (Fodors')prerogative, but it shows they have absolutely no balls whatever. In any event, I am not sure how much good sending to the restaurant would do anyway, since by monique's own accont it was a few years ago. They may have turned over the entire staff by now. Certainly no one is going to remember the incident. I mean, what can they offer up except some canned, hollow PR speech?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:53 AM
sorry

Yes, I guess in hindsight, I shouldn't have faxed the restauarant anything.
BTW, I only faxed a copy of the thread without any additional comments.

I did question the story..and in fairness I thought a restauarant did have the right to respond. I never expected Fodor's to delete the thread.

Fodor's should at least post their rules for what they consider "undesirable comments".

What's next, A Fodor's travel guide that has absolutely nothing negative to say about any property listed