Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What happened to the airline customer bill of rights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:45 AM
Frank

Does everyone remember all the talk about the airline customer bill of rights. It was slowly making its way through congress and there was hope that the airlines would finally treat its customers with some respect.

Well since the attack the airlines are back to their old tricks. Cancelling flights right and left and firing half their gate agents, so the lines are incredible.

I went on a flight a few days ago. The media was out interviewing people asking them what they thought about all the huge lines at the airport. These fools said they loved the lines and that they did not mind the "inconvenience" of waiting for three hours to check in.

I guess the typical American does not mind spending more time at the airport waiting in line than it takes to drive to the destination they are going to. That will get old quickly and people will decide it is better to drive or take the train.

I have an excellent idea. Why don't the airlines have enough lines and staff to handle both security and time issues. Otherwise people just will not go anymore.

Then what will happen, another $5 billion dollar bail out of the airlines?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:39 AM
Bob Brown

Osana bin Laden took them. I doubt if he will give them back.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 07:39 AM
Philip

I think we Americans are fickle. We sit and complain about how coach is crowded and how there is a chance we may get thrombosis for sitting in such a cramped position, but we never let the airlines know by boycotting with our dollars. The airlines treat us terribly and they will keep doing so as long as they know they can get away with it.

Do you remember several years ago when it was discovered that you could get to NYC cheaper by booking the Florida to Boston with a NYC stopover route than by buying a direct ticket Florida to NYC. The airlines immediately jumped up and said "By buying a ticket, you enter into a contract". The consumer said "It's my ticket, I'll do what I like". Of course the airlines won out. The airlines were never forced into holding up to their side of the contract.

I hope that the recent events force consumers to really think about new rules that the airlines must abide by. But they will continue to treat the consumer poorly until their bottom line is affected.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:28 AM
luv2travel

I think we have to take a step back and recognize what it takes to run an airline. It is a ba-zillion dollar industry, yes, however it takes most of those ba-zillion dollars to keep the planes in the air. I agree that the service can sometimes be less than desirable, however I recognize poor service in all Customer related industries these days. Should it be acceptable...of course not! However, I think the airlines are singled out because it's a hot topic for politicians to debate.

Long lines? What are we saying, folks? We want more security, more luxury, more staff, better food, ontime flights, no lines, and we want to pay $25 roundtrip to get these things.....it will never happen and the American flying public will never be happy!

I pay $25 one way for a taxi ride from LaGaurdia airport to midtown. The taxi may or may not be clean and the driver may or may not speak English. He/she may or may not know where in the heck Rockefeller Center is!

I order two tacos at the fast food joint and ask that the lettuce be left off and what do I get? Two lukewarm tacos with twice the normal amount of lettuce.

What's the point? The point is we as Americans tend to have a double standard for the airline industry. Should we expect good service and a safe experience? Sure. I'm just saying we should perhaps demand more of all service industries and lay off the airlines for a while.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:09 AM
Pepcid

Gee, the last time I failed receive adequate service at the taco stand, it didn't result in me burning to death in a fiery crash! Naw, I just got a little heartburn.

Inadequate service at the airlines (security service, check-in service, etc.) has resulted in the greatest number of deaths in one day in U.S. history. I'd say the airlines have a TAD more responsiblity for service than Jose the Taco Guy, wouldn't you?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:26 PM
luv2travel

As I recall, the resulting tragedy was caused by 19 men who carried razors and box cutters on the aircraft. As I recall, neither of these items were considered to be illegal to carry on. Should they be? Good question. The way I see it a ballpoint pen could inflict the same wound as a small knife. There was no bomb, explosive, gun allowed onboard; just a simple razor blade. The reason these hijackers were successful is because the folks on plane had no idea that's all they had.

BTW-I happen to be allergic to lettuce and suffer severe reactions if I eat it so while "a little heartburn" might be the result you have-death could be mine.

My point was a simple one (forgive me for my misunderstood analogies). I was simply trying to point out that the airline industry is extremely delicate. Most of the major airlines only have operating cash for 50-90 days without additional income. It's expensive and complicated business to run an airline and it's always so simple to say how it should be done from the outside looking in.