Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What games do you like at bridal showers and bachelorettes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-games-do-you-like-at-bridal-showers-and-bachelorettes-623314/)

lynnejoel1015 Jun 13th, 2006 07:17 PM

What games do you like at bridal showers and bachelorettes?

Well, nearly everyone travels now and again for bridal showers and bachelorette parties, so here goes my post:

What games do you find to be the most fun at either of those two? I've been to a number of showers and bach. parties, and inevitably we always end up playing the same old games.

What games have you seen that are irresistably fun? I personally like the smelling game (where you sit blindfolded and smell things that go along with marriage and stuff). I'm very olfactory-driven. I also liked this rice game where there was a big bowl of rice with little paper clips scattered in the rice and two-by-two ladies had to blind fold and try to find as many paper clips in the bowl as they could. It was absurdly fun.

Please help, as I'm planning my SIL's celebrations in Chicago later this summer!

ellenbw Jun 13th, 2006 07:32 PM

Personally, I hate those games and whenever I host a shower, I just make sure there is plenty of wine or margaritas, great food and we all end up having a wonderful time. I think you might have better luck checking in on the www.party411.com board for ideas. Go to the discussion boards section for bridal shower specifics.

starrsville Jun 13th, 2006 07:37 PM

ditto
hate the games
enjoy spending time with friends

lenleigh Jun 13th, 2006 07:37 PM

Well normally I have to admit that most games are kind of lame. I just went to one where I was asked to buy a pair or underwear (in the bide's size of medium) that would reflect my personality and then the bride had to go through the back and guess as to who each pair belonged to. It was pretty funny. We also had margaritas which are always fun.

lenleigh Jun 13th, 2006 07:38 PM

Yikes, meant to say she had to go through the bag (not the back).

lynnejoel1015 Jun 13th, 2006 08:05 PM

Yes! I've played that panty game before -- at my own bachelorette party-- and it was, indeed, a lot of fun. When I guessed wrong, I had to put another stick of gum in my mouth :)

But, when I was 10, I stuffed the most marshmallows in my mouth at a county fair contest, my mom said "like the grand canyon." ;)

Please, keep the game suggestions coming- the in-laws don't drink and are traditional! Gotta fill the time w/ something other than booze. And besides, it's a rite of passage to put the bride-to-be through all that stuff. BTW, I hate the games, too ;)

MikeT Jun 13th, 2006 08:13 PM

If you hate them and everyone else hates them, why do them? Have nice food, good conversation, open some gifts, and let everyone go home. I'm always wary of "rites of passage" since they are invariably humiliating bordering on cruel.

Adults don't play games, unless it is golf. Everyone dreads them.

christy1 Jun 13th, 2006 08:39 PM

The best showers-bridal and baby-I've been to have been without games. That always feels like enforced "fun" and no one seems to like it. Good food and drinks and interesting people are all you need.

Gekko Jun 13th, 2006 08:55 PM

The best bachelorette/shower game is:

www.pervartistry.com

Because it combines the best elements of well-known charades & pictionary, it's perfect.

Enjoy!

gail Jun 14th, 2006 01:35 AM

I would rather attend an enjoyable but shorter party without games than one artificially lengthened with lame games that no one wants to play anyway and whose primary goal is to embarass or humiliate someone.

Gretchen Jun 14th, 2006 02:54 AM

NONE, NONE, NONE!! Inane, sophomoric.

Intrepid1 Jun 14th, 2006 02:58 AM

Play a TRAVEL-related game!!!!

cantstayhome Jun 14th, 2006 03:52 AM

None. Even after margaritas they just seemed too forced. The people are what make it fun, especially for a bachelor/ette party. I can't imagine a bunch of guys playing anything but golf!

abram Jun 14th, 2006 04:03 AM

I don't like forced fun, which is what some of the games seem like to me. Maybe you could offer each guest (the ones who want to) the opportunity to tell a story about her relationship with the bride.

travel_addict Jun 14th, 2006 04:22 AM

No games. Please. No one likes them. Don't do it. Stop the trend.

lisettemac Jun 14th, 2006 05:02 AM

None.

starrsville Jun 14th, 2006 05:10 AM

Okay. 10 "no" votes. It's a landslide. Take our advice and you will be the most popular shower thrower around! :-)

OneWanderingJew Jun 14th, 2006 05:21 AM

Let me add to the No votes! I just cringe when I'm at a shower and games are involved. If necessary, I'll find a way to remove myself from the room--that's how much I hate those things!

When my friends were planning my shower the one and only thing I asked is that they not do games. Got no arguments and the shower was a good one. Good food and hostesses are key not those stupid @ss games. (Do you think I feel strongly about this, or what?!)

wtm003 Jun 14th, 2006 05:36 AM

Please do everyone a favor - NO GAMES!

jbass Jun 14th, 2006 05:45 AM

At the last shower I attended - we played how many words can you make out of the bride and groom's first names. I thought they were kidding until they handed out paper and pens. It was AWFUL! I thought I was in 2nd grade.