Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you think of these Kauai and Big Island choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip in November. My husband and I have been to Hawaii twice before (Mauai, Big Island and, very briefly, Kauai). We are going with friends who have not. They only have 5 nights (!), and would like to go to the Big Island, so I thought we'd spend 3 nights in Kona or Kohala, then 2 in Volcano. I am leaning toward the Vista Waikoloa condos, or maybe splurging for one of the Mauna Lani condo properties, then Kilauea Lodge in Volcano. On Kauai it will just be two of us, and I am thinking of Sealodge in the north, or maybe Whaler's Cove in the south. Whaler's Cove seems _awfully_ expensive; anyone know any secrets for getting a discount? Any other recommendations?

Thanks again to RPN for your Kauai info (otherwise I would only be considering the south, on account of better weather!).
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:49 PM

In May, we spent 6 nights at the Hilton on the Big Island. This is my opinion! I loved this hotel!! I knew it would be big, and it was. But it was very nice! I loved all of the options available. Here is what our 'schedule' was....
I slept in, and my husband would go to Ocean Towers and get us Latte and a muffin. We would drink our coffee on our lanai, overlooking incredible landscaped grounds...very soothing. Then we would pack our beach bags and head to the Lagoon, and secure our covered chaise lounges. Here we would read, snorkel, kayak, and relax. At noon, we went to the lagoon front grill, and watched the dolphins in their lagoon, and had sandwiches. Back to the lagoon for a bit, then moved over to the big pool. Dinner would be at one of the on site resturants, or at Roy's or Big Island Steak House.
I was in Paradise, and almost cried when we had to leave. This property is beautiful, and not just for families. There isn't alot to do at night, no crazy bars, but we had a late drink at the boat landing bar and listened to some great music. One singer was a lot like Chris Isaak. Nothing is inexpensive, but afterall, paradise doesn't come cheap! I have already booked the Hilton for another trip. I am counting down the days!
I loved the Thai/Asian decor which was very peaceful. The gardens, the room was nice, very soothing.
My only complaint? Their in room internet on the TV didn't work. And, renting the stuff at the lagoon was outragous in price! I bought my own snorkle gear at a local store. I went one day to the beach 15 min. away and snorkeled. Was great!!!!
Ask me any other questions, I love to
help!

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Unless you have kids, I would not encourage you to stay at the Hilton. The locals don't call it the Disney hotel for nothing. I'd suggest the condo or one of the much better properties near by (Mauna Kea, Hapuna Prince, Mauna Lani, Orchid). I hate to 'dis" the above poster but the so-called "lagoon" is man made and the dolphins are in other man made lagoons. Go to the Hapuna Prince and you might catch dolphins swimming in their natural habitat "The Pacific Ocean." Enjoy! PS: I used to live in Hilo and would suggest only one night at Volcano House
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:09 PM

I don't know about the condos but we loved the Mauna Lani resort. A short walk from there was the Beach Club, associated with one of the condos, and off that beach was fantastic snorkeling.
It probably does make sense to split the Big Island if you are going to the volcano. We never made it because we got tired of all the driving. The BI is really big.
On Kauai, we prefer the south, because it is more convenient to the better restaurants, attractions, and the shopping (as limited as that is). From what I've read, the weather will be better in the south in November as well.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:26 AM

Trekker, thanks for the plug on my info. I think you'll be happy at Sealodge and with the island only 30 miles wide, you can drive away from any rain within an hour. The North shore has quite a few fine restaurants to keep you satisfied.

Have a great trip and share your report with us when you return.

I am at 19 days and counting.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:54 AM

I would first ask what experence each guest is hoping for. Volcano, lava rock landscapes, Kona, beach, green ranch land, Paniolo history, Horse back riding, forests, rainforest,lush valley, mountain, coffee, etc. The big island has it all. If I am able to return I want to experence Mauna Kea, Waipi'o Valley, and lots more of the North area.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:40 AM

I stayed at the Mauna Lani about 3 years ago. What a great property. You will not be disappointed. Excellent service and great golfing as well. The beaches were spectacular.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Have a great trip, RichinPA! I have pretty much decided on Sealodge. If Whaler's Cove were more reasonably pricer, the south shore might have won out, but not at three times the price of Sealodge.

For the Big Island I am still undecided on Kona vs. Kohala. (I've stayed in Kona before, at the Kailua Plantation House (which I can't find a website for---maybe it doesn't exist anymore?)
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Here's a site for a lower price on Whaler's Cove http://www.kauairentals.com/whalerscove.html. We stayed there 9/01 and booked through Suite Paradise. Seems like prices have gone up.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I would really like to stay at Whaler's Cove, but even at kauairentals' price, it's about twice as much as other places that sound quite nice. Their Kuhio Shores listing, for example, looks lovely.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM

My favorite place to stay on the Big Island is the Hawaiian Oasis Bed and Breakfast. It is in a quieter location above town and is surrounded by lush tropical palms and plants. There are 4 units with baths and kitchens. The building is gorgeous - Hawaiian style with a big koi pond in front. The hosts are terrific and make great breakfasts - we found out that they also do dinners if you aren't up for going out - better than anywhere else on the island. Their website is full of great info on the island as well as their b&b http://hawaiianoasis.com/
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Kuhio Shores is not nearly as upscale as Whalers Cove, however, it does have fantastic ocean front units that are directly on the water, not set back. For the price, you can experience those gorgeous Kauai sunsets right from your Lanai. There is no pool there and the grounds are almost non-existent. Road goes right behind building. However, if you are beach goers and a pool does not matter, this may be a cost efficient place to stay. I have not been in the units and I understand they are individually owned so will vary from unit to unit. Location is good here, on the Spouting Horn road, right next to Beach House restaurant.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I know "Pumpy" (Grumpy?) I have read posts depicting the Hilton on the Big Island as "Disneyland". I have been to Disneyland, duh, and it wasn't even close. We like to people watch. It was nice to have activity around us. We went in late May, and most kids were still in school. (?) I loved it. I loved all the choices. I drove over to a few resorts and they just seemed dead and filled with old golfers. The Hilton is nice. It's not as expensive as the other resorts. If you want to experience it, you can eat at the resturants, or pay $75 per day for 4 people to enjoy all the pools, lagoons. I would suggest people do this, and know if they would like to stay there. Me? I'm going back in October. I do like Kona, and the Kanaloa at Kona Condos. Other than that, the hotel choices in Kona are the pits. Up north is much better pickin's. Ha. (don't judge me because I'm from the Mid-west)

Aloha!