Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you think of the Kea Lani Resort in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 05:00 PM
Lisa

I am going to Hawaii with my husband and 2 teen-aged boys next August. I am looking for a resort that all of us can enjoy with nice grounds and good service. Does Kea Lani fit the bill? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:55 PM
Lisa

Just wanted to try bringing this question to the top.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:57 PM
mauibound

Lisa,

I've never stayed at the Kea Lani, but walked through the resort during a visit to one of their restaurants. The grounds of the hotel were lovely, as was the hotel itself. Very well maintained with beautiful buildings which were done in a strange, yet not unpleasant mediterranean/asian style. The hotel itself seemed pretty quiet other than the children's pool which was a fairly boisterous area. The adult pool was much more sedate. I liked the small villas fronting the ocean, each with their own plunge pool. Don't know much about the service other than the restaurant at which we enjoyed a late afternoon lunch. The service was a bit slow, but accomodating.

One question that came to mind was how old are your teenagers? Wailea, where the Kea Lani is located, is fairly quiet in my opinion and I didn't see many teenagers around there. We were staying at the Four Seasons next door and we felt that it would be difficult to get around without a car. I don't know if you have your heart set on Wailea, but Kaanapali might be a good alternative. It's much more lively and there's a boardwalk that runs pretty much the entire length of beach with restaurants and shops along it so that the kids can go safely exploring on their own if they get bored at the hotel. Also, Lahaina is only a few minutes away by car. IMO Kaanapali doesn't provide the same caliber of hotels, but there are a couple good resorts there. Do a search on Maui hotels and Kaanapali vs. Wailea discussions. I believe there have been a myriad of posts regarding these topics in the past. Good luck!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:00 PM
sktraveler

Yes--Kea Lani fits the bill! I stayed there 10 mo. ago and the grounds/pool/beach are all great! The villas that the last poster mentioned would be wonderful for a family. The service is great and the rooms are huge. We loved it!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Lisa

Dear mauibound

Thank you for the input. I know that most teenagers enjoy going off on their own and also having a bit of excitement but beliece it or not, my two boys, aged, 16 and 18 are not particularly interested in that. Not that they don't enjoy some time away from us (their parents), but they enjoy hanging out at the beach or a nice pool just swimming, sunning, reading, and definitely eating!

How did you think the grounds of the Kea Lani compared with the Four Seasons. It's funny that you mentioned it because that was our other choice. Each seems to have its stong points and weaknesses. The Kea Lani has one bedroom suites that don't break the bank, unlike the Four Seasons, which is great. On the other hand, it seems like you can't beat the Four Seasons for outstanding service and for not nickel and diming their guests. I know that the Kea Lani charges $30 per day for a cabana and $15 per day for a snorkel kit. This can really add up. They both seem to have nice gounds and pool area.

Mauibound, I would love some more input if you would care to share.

Thank you so much!

Lisa

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Lisa

Dear sktraveler

Thank you for answering my post. I would love it if you could tell me what specific things you loved about about the Kea Lani's service. It is always enjoyable to be a little pampered on vacation. Did you feel pampered at all at the resort? What made you feel that way?

Also, which type of view did you have? We are going on a cruise after our 5 day stay in Maui, and I have a mini suite with a balcony, so I will be seeing alot of the ocean at that time. Do you think that I would be disappointed with a mountainview suite at the resort?

Thanks for spending the time answering my question!

Lisa

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 09:27 AM
mauibound

Lisa,

I thought that the grounds of both the Four Seasons and the Kea Lani were very nice but each had a different feel. It seemed that every inch of the Four Seasons property was covered with a beautiful architecture, fountains, flower arrangements and gardens, lovely sitting areas. The entire assortment gave the hotel a very luxurious and lush atmosphere. Everything always perfectly arranged and ordered there, with nothing out of place.

The Kea Lani on the other hand, had a much more open feel to it. Perhaps it was the large expanse of grass in front between the hotel and the beach. It had less of a tropical tone, more of a greek isle idea to it. The grounds were really well designed and executed and the hotel itself was beautifully done with large walkways and soaring ceilings. The color scheme of white and blue gave everything sort of a clean, brilliant look. With the island breezes blowing through the open air lobby, walkways and restaurant, I thought it was fabulous.

Overall, I think both hotels are excellent choices. I've heard very complimentary remarks about the Kea Lani, especially in regard to the suite accomodations. We had friends who usually stay at Four Seasons hotels and couldn't get in on the dates they wanted because it was booked up. They chose the Kea Lani as an alternative and were not disappointed. They said it was a great visit.

The Four Seasons is tops when it comes to service and amenities, that's what really sold the hotel for me. We stayed in an oceanview room, which was nice, but not spectacular. We could see the ocean, but because of the trees below, no beach. Also, we were fairly far away as well. It's true they don't try to nickel and dime you to death, but, the snorkel sets do cost after the first hour so you'd probably end up paying a bit at the Four Seasons anyways if your boys are into snorkeling.

The Four Seasons if definitely a great choice, no doubt about it, but it is pricey. By no means could I afford to stay there every trip. From what I saw and have heard of the Kea Lani, I would not hesitate to book with them and try the hotel out. I would not worry about having a bad time. The rooms are supposed to be great, and the grounds will definitely not disappoint.

Have a fantastic trip Lisa!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Kristen

I stayed at the Kea Lani in November for my honeymoon. It was a wonderful place. There were MANY families with children, but it is large enough to find "quiet spots".

One thing I noticed was that there seemed to be more familes staying just down the street at The Grand Wailea. Both are great properties.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:40 PM
annemarie

If you really want to be pampered you need to stay at the Four Seasons, but then you will only have 1 albeit large hotel room whereas, as already said, the Kea Lani is suite style. The Four Seasons does include a few things more like the cabanas at the pool, use of the tennis courts, fitness centre and snorkelling equipment for 1 hour daily. The cabanas at the KL cost us 75.00 a day 4 years ago. The KL has a very nice deli/coffee shop/ pizzeria which is kind of nice for the kids..you can take out al of the above, including some great sandwiches and cold salads. Both properties are absolutely beautiful, the FS being smaller and more understated. Tough choice!!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:32 PM
sktraveler

Lisa--The service at the Kea Lani is good--the maid service is high-quality, the wait staff at the restaurants is friendly and accomodating (ESPECIALLY at Nick's Fish Market--you must eat there regardless of where you stay), the front desk/concierge/activity desk staff are helpful, too. However, having stayed at the Four Seasons last week, I must admit that the Four Seasons is a better place to go if you want to feel "pampered." The service there is impecable and you will definitely feel like you are a VIP.

In regards to the cost question...it is true that the Kea Lani charges extra for some of the things that the Four Seasons does not, but the prices for food at the Four Seasons is outrageous! A small alcoholic drink is $8.00, breakfast for three came to $90.00 (not buffet...just single, small entrees), and dinner isn't any better. If your boys like to eat, you may go into debt! Personally, having stayed at both, I would say that the Kea Lani is a better VALUE--you get more for your money.

And as far as the ocean view/mountain view question--my personal opinion is that it's never worth it to pay extra for an ocean view unless you plan on spending most of your time in the room. The ocean looks much better from the beach, which is probably where you will be most of the time!

Sorry for rambling--hope this post answers your questions!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Lisa

Thanks to all for answering my questions! This is such a tough choice! I recently stayed at the Ocean Club on Paradise Island which has service like the Four Seasons. It was very nice to be pampered! I loved having a pool attendant set up my lounge chair by the pool, the complimentary treats poolside, the exceptional turn down service providing robes, slippers, complimentary bottled water on the nightstand, and Godiva chocolates on my pillow. I also enjoyed having a butler, complimentary chocolate-dipped strawberries and champagne delivered to my room each day, and being addressed by name. It was great!

I guess that I was looking for that kind of pampering again and was hoping to receive it at the Four Seasons. Of course, the idea of the suite at the Kea Lani, as mentioned before, is great. And the cost of the food is a consideration also. My husband is still talking about our $50 light lunch for two at the Ocean Club -and it was very light!

Sktraveler, you did not ramble at all -I appreciated every word of your post. Would you mind telling me if there were pool attendants at the Kea Lani? How was the turn down service? Were there any complimentary offerings poolside? I would love my kids to experience these things. Also, you mentioned that the grounds of the Kea Lani were beautiful -were there lots of tropical flowers?

Thanks again!

Lisa

Thanks again for answering my questions. I know that my trip is very far in advance-a year away, but I've been told that the Kea Lani books up early so I temporarily held a room. If I decide to go ahead with the reservation, I have to give a deposit of 2 nights by Sunday.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Joan

Since you seem impressed by service, one thing I enjoy about the Four Seasons is the cabana attendants who come by every hour and spritz you with Evian water from a spray bottle to cool you off when at the pool. They also bring chilled towels and fresh water regularly for no charge.
That's pampering in my book!
Perhaps this is why the Four Seasons is a favorite of the Hollywood set.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Kristin

I just got back from my honeymoon and we stayed at the Four Seasons. It was amazing, but has a very different feel than the Kea Lani (we also ate at Nick's, which you should definitely do!). I can't imagine feeling more pampered than I did at the Four Seasons, but I think your sons might enjoy the Kea Lani more. It's kind of hard to explain, but I felt like the Four Seasons had a more refined feel to it. The Kea Lani seemed more relaxed and fun, but that was just our observation from walking through. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Tim

Actually, Lisa, to add even more confusion, your boys will actually enjoy the GRAND WAILEA so much more and so will you and your husband as their spa is incredible! Your boys will really appreciate the waterslides, vast pool areas, etc., that the Four Seasons does NOT have. However, the Kea Lani comes close (and has the separate sleeping section for your boys)! As for the "pampering," forget it! Your teenage boys DON'T have to experience that and I'm sure they really don't care as they just want to have F U N ! ! And by the way, compared to Paradise Island and the Bahamas in general, you will be glad to know that you will be in a FAR SUPERIOR environment (and island) as well!!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Lisa

Thanks guys!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Alex

Lisa, I recently received a brochure on the newly remodeled Ocean Club and, while I admit that it certainly looks beautiful in the photos, I personally would NOT return to Nassau myself (too slummy and downtrodden, although Paradise Island is nicer!!) But to be fair, I do think the beaches/water in the Caribbean (including Bahamas here) are, for the most part, nicer than in Hawaii, but it doesn't really matter as Hawaii does have the superior environment in so many ways! By the way, the Four Season is builing a new resort on Great Exuma in the Bahamas, and I must admit, I am tempted to try it! We'll see!

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:00 AM
MJF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow me to join this discussion since I've been on a quest narrowing down choices between the Kealani and the Hyatt. My kids -- 14 year old and 10 year old -- really like great pools and I understand that the Hyatt pool is great. Also we can get two Hyatt rooms (due to a special offer) for just a bit more than one suite at the Kealani.

Kealani sounds like a great place but is the Hyatt with it's pool better for kids/family?

Thanks