What do you think of my Maui itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning 8 days/7 nights in Maui this October for my honeymoon...we're not so much into the resort thing and would rather have a mix of exploring and sitting on the beach. I think I have a pretty good idea of the itinerary, so I wanted to get some thoughts:
Day 1 - fly to Maui, drive to Ka'anapali area, night in luxury hotel
Day 2 - Beach day in K'anaplai to unwind from wedding, 2nd night in luxury hotel
Day 3 - Spend whole day driving to Hana and exploring, night in Hana bungalow
Day 4 - Explore Hana, night in Hana bungalow
Day 5 - Explore Haleakala National Park and Mount Haleakala, drive back via Ulupalakua, stay in moderate hotel in Wailea
Day 6 - Kayak in Wailea, stay in Wailea
Day 7 - snorkel trip to Molokini, stay in Wailea
Day 8 - fit in whatever else we can before heading back home

Does this sound possible...any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Your intinerary sounds great and leaves you a lot of time for just exploring. Be sure to take some time to visit Hamoa Beach when you are in Hana, the beach recently named the "most serene in the world" and my very favorite place to while away a day doing nothing.

When in October will you be here? October is Aloha Festival month, with many events taking place around the island. You might want to go over to <http://alohafestivals.com/alohafesti...aui&page=maui> and look at the schedule. This is not a complete schedule yet, so check it as the summer progresses!
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM
bonniebroad

"moderate hotel Wailea"......... that's the only part that sounds "off". Of course, that can depend on your definition of "moderate." Most hotels in Wailea aren't considered to be...... you might also consider Kihei, right next door! Have a wonderful honeymoon on Maui!

Old May 30th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Another suggestion for Hana: visit Red Sand Beach-getting there is half the fun (you hug a steep hill for dear life). Deep red cinders and indigo water.
My perception of Wailea coincides with Bonniebroad's-Wailea and Kapalua have luxury hotels, while Ka'anapali has the upper mid-level highrise variety on a long beach that narrows at times and places. Ka'anapali has access to Lahaina (a people watching kick), shopping, and meticulously formatted and tested nightlife.
Kihei, a real beach town that sprang spontaneously, has few hotel rooms: Maui Coast, across the highway from a mediocre beach, and Mana Kai, mediocre hotel on a great beach for snorkeling and strolling, at the threshhold of Wailea. Predict you'll find Molokini more crowded (w/ humans) than Ka'anapali and people outnumbering fish in both areas (though Black Rock can be impressive as you venture out). Better snorkeling in Lana'i waters and from shore along Wailea, Makena areas.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:18 AM

Hi. Just read your post and thought I could throw a monkeywrench in it...just in case you wanted more exploring options. Your itinerary sounds fine...as you will see from my advice, I'm a very big explorer.
Here goes on my suggestions...
See Haleakala National Park the first full day you are there (day 2). I live in NJ and since I was still on NJ time, there is a 6 hr time difference. As I was not acclimated to HI time, it made it very easy to get up and drive up to the volcano to see the sunrise (which is the big thing to do there). I stayed south of Ka'anapali in Lahaina. I left my hotel room at 3:15am to make the 5:57am sunrise. Remember to bring warm clothing up there as it is freezing, at any time of year. Lots of people were wearing shorts and freezing to death. Once the sun comes up, the temperature is fine for shorts. Also, go to the bathroom BEFORE the sun rises as the lines after are very, very long (for the female in this scenario). I am glad that I did not do the bike tour that is offered. They said you can go down at your own pace but it's not true. Also, you go down on the bikes from the top on the SAME road as the cars. I felt it was not safe but others I've talked to loved this bike tour.
After Haleakala, go to Ulupalakua as it is "just down the street". Visit Tedeschi Winery as they make pineapple wine...nice short tour, it's interesting.
Another thing you could do...take the ferry from Lahaina over to Lanai for the day. I think it only costs like $30/each way, takes 45 minutes to cross and then you could rent a 4 wheel drive jeep and explore Lanai, which is way deserted compared to Maui. There is Shipwreck Beach and the Garden of the Gods. The sand over there is dark red and you will be covered in it by the end of the day.
Another option you can do is take a Paragon tour via airplane from Maui..the Ka'anapali airport over to Molokai to the leper colony..the only National Park that is a former leper colony. The place is absolutely gorgeous! the prettiest I've seen on all 5 islands I visited. It's rich on history and it's not contagious. Just something very different from the ordinary.
When driving the road to Hana, ask your hotel if they have any material on it. My friends hotel gave them a CD that was excellent for the drive...just like having your own tour guide with you in the car.
Personally, I wasn't big on staying in Hana so I can't give advice on that but definitely go see the black sand beach out there. Really cool but you are black! when you leave. The rocks just rub the color right off on ya.
If you want to save some money on hotels (since it's your honeymoon, you might not want to), check out a B&B website. I found a B&B in Volcano, HI (the big island) for $40/night (I was a single for this rate) which included breakfast. The place was great. People always say HI is expensive but I found many ways to enjoy everything I wanted to do/see and for a very reasonable price.
If you want any other crazy suggestions, just let me know & I'll write them down.
Have a great honeymoon!

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:24 AM

Ah, I forgot. Have dinner at Mama's Fish House. Expensive but very, very good!
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:03 AM
bonniebroad

Travels_with_food, gotta compliment you on that "mini-trip report"..... great little details/advice you're giving there. Wasn't the sunrise fun? And you're right about it getting cold up there....... you just can't imagine when you're on that warm beach in Wailea or Kaanapali how cold you're gonna be at that sunrise if you're not prepared!

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:44 PM

Aloha, Congratulations on your wedding. Maui is a great place for a honeymoon. Ive been there at least 20 times and I never get tired of it. Your itinerary is excellent. Don't try to add too many things or you will miss what Maui is really about, just relaxing and going with the flow. I would leave out Molokini, the water is very cold, snorkeling is Ok leave that day for another beach/snorkel day, you can snorkel right off the beach. I think you'll have more fun on the kayak trip, great snorkeling in wailea and Makena just ask dive shop. I recommend you bring your own gear, Costco is selling it for around $25 for fins,mask,snorkel&bag excellent quality. There is a Costco near the airport in Maui. There are reasonable priced hotels in Wailea especially in October(slow season, great weather) Try priceline and stick to Wailea 4 star, not Kihei(if using priceline) if you are going to stay in Kihei, dont stay at Maui Coast. Stay at Kihei surfside,Aston Maui Hill near there. The other end is smelly. Try though to stay in Wailea, you can always lay on the beach in front of the four seasons even if you aren't staying there, beaches are public, thats what I do. I stay at Maui Hill, not on beach though, but nice. Also to save money walk on the beach path in Wailea at night and catch a luau show for free. Enjoy yourself.