Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What do you do for entertainment or to get away when staying with in-laws? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-do-you-do-for-entertainment-or-to-get-away-when-staying-with-in-laws-319463/)

Johanna1 May 21st, 2003 12:59 PM

What do you do for entertainment or to get away when staying with in-laws?

We visit the Northeastern PA area about four to five times a year, usually staying with my in-laws for three or four days at a time. While my husband and I do some things together, he really enjoys go off to fish with his stepfather. Unfortunately, my MIL is not in the best of health and is very limited in her activities, so I am often in a position to find something to do. I usually walk around the lake, help around the house, go shopping, or sometimes just go off and read. About a year ago, I noticed a log cabin-style building a couple of miles from the in-laws? home that looked a lot like a spa, but I couldn?t imagine that one would be in that particular area. I finally got around to checking it out, and discovered that it IS a spa! We will be going up for the Memorial Day weekend and since the 24th is my birthday, I have booked myself a very reasonably-priced massage at CHI Spa for that morning. Since it?s going to be raining pretty much all weekend, the massage will probably be the highlight of the trip!

Brooklyn_Bomber May 21st, 2003 01:08 PM

We can only hope that you've done the decent thing and booked your mother-in-law for a nice massage, as well.

Johanna1 May 21st, 2003 01:21 PM

BB, she's just not interested. However, she is glad to get me out of the house for an hour or two...:)

Dreamer2 May 21st, 2003 04:01 PM

The movies! My brother and his wife would always get "caught up," when visiting, sometimes bringing my Dad along, too.
It is really wonderful that you both are willing to give so much time to your in-laws.

LN May 21st, 2003 05:31 PM

Where is this delightful little spot in Northeastern Pennsylvania? There's a lot of lakes up there - anywhere near Wallenpaupack or Lake Winola?

Summers are absolutely beautiful up there.

Johanna1 May 22nd, 2003 06:28 AM

LN, as a matter of fact Lake Wallenpaupack is just a few miles away from in in-laws'. They live on Mt. Cobb, which is a suburb of Scranton, PA. We live in metropolitan Washington DC, so going up there is like stepping into another, much more relaxed, world.

doc_ May 22nd, 2003 06:36 AM

Suffice it to say this is not for everyone,but when I"m at my in laws I rent a Harley and take off for a day.MIL spend the day with the grandkids and my wife spends time with her brothers and sisters,win-win-win situation.

ChristieP May 22nd, 2003 06:50 AM

My in-laws live in Del Rio, Texas, which is not exactly a place with lots of things to do! My in-laws are very nice folks, but being from the big city (Dallas), my husband and I are just used to a little more activity. When we get bored, we go to the movies, visit some of the state parks within an hour's drive, and occasionally, we go across the river to Cd. Acuna and do some shopping.

theladyjess May 22nd, 2003 08:30 AM

Ha Ha, funny question. I would never go on vacation with my in laws... they drive me crazy. A few hours with them is enough for me. My wedding was a cross between "Meet the Parents" and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".
I don't think that my husband wants to go on vacation with his parents. We have totally different intrests. I think the only way it would happen is if we went on a cruise, had sepperate cabins and only met up for meals and shore trips.

LN May 22nd, 2003 09:19 AM

Hi again Johanna

What a surprise!! We originally came from the scranton area and live in Annapolis Md now.

We still LOVE to TRAVEL up to the lakes there - it's such a laid back, quiet area with such gorgeous lakes.

My favorite pastime as a kid was to take a rowboat out for a ways and then just sit there for hours reading a book. We go back every couple months and visit, eat ethnic foods, and enjoy it...

Statia May 22nd, 2003 09:29 AM

I guess I feel pretty fortunate that I have fantastic in-laws whom I adore. My husband and I love to travel with them, and we especially enjoy camping trips in Arizona with just the four of us. Heck, all the rest of my family loves spending time with my in-laws, too!