Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What Do You Collect On Your Travels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-do-you-collect-on-your-travels-399879/)

GoTravel Feb 16th, 2004 10:23 AM

What Do You Collect On Your Travels?

What do you collect on your travels?

I try to get a silver bracelet or bangle from every location we visit.

I also collect Mexican Glass and try to find that.

One of my friends and I always buy the other a tacky ashtray when we travel. It is fun because we have to keep the price under $6.00 and there have been some ugly ashtrays that were made.

Anyone else?

gc Feb 16th, 2004 10:28 AM

I collect shot glasses. My son now has a collection form all over the US and Europe. He brought them in to school for show and tell once....we were nervously awaiting the call from the Division of Youth Services..

cmeyer54 Feb 16th, 2004 10:30 AM

My sons collect sand from all the beaches we visit. It might sound crazy but they have little jars all lined up and labeled. Most interesting are the two from Omaha and Utah beaches they collected last summer. I collect Christmas ornaments from every location which are now on a separate tree during the holidays.

swalter518 Feb 16th, 2004 10:35 AM

I try to pick up pottery from different places, plates, trivets, serving pieces from everywhere. I also pick up stones-one from Pikes Peak, one from the beach on the Mediterrean, Fla. etc.

Tansy Feb 16th, 2004 10:36 AM

I buy a charm for my charm bracelet. My mom started a bracelet for me as a child when we lived in Germany, and I've continued the tradition. Charms are small, easy to transport, and won't get broken!

tcapp Feb 16th, 2004 10:36 AM

I have a substancial collection of thimbles. I also love to collect souveniers that have a "local flavor" from wherever I travel.

OaktownTraveler Feb 16th, 2004 10:43 AM

I collect three things as follows:

*Copper for the kitchen

*Postcards for the scrapbook and as hostess gifts for my after-travel-parties

* Extra Large sweatshirts with a hood that names the travel destination

Great Question

Oaktown Traveler

Kal Feb 16th, 2004 10:49 AM

I've aquired an amazing collection of extra lbs. and hangovers. O:)

Other than that, I do try and pick up a magnet.

gottagoagain Feb 16th, 2004 10:54 AM

Don't smoke but collect match books of the restaurants, bars, etc. I visit while on trips. I write the date on the inside cover, who I was with and also note if it happened to be a special event(anniversary, birthday) They are kept in a big basket at home.

highbay Feb 16th, 2004 10:58 AM

We collect wine corks-with the date and place written on them.

Jun20 Feb 16th, 2004 11:03 AM

I collect Christmas ornaments with the name on them, or significant to the location. Then I add the date to the ornament. I truly enjoy decorating the Christmas tree and remembering people, places and things.

bennnie Feb 16th, 2004 11:04 AM

We collect Christmas ornaments - 3 for every trip. One for my tree and 1 each for my little girls so that they have a collection each for when they grow up. To me they are the perfect souvenier - small enough to carry home, they only come out at Christmas so they don't clutter up the house and usually are relatively inexpensive ($5-$15).

I started to collect unframed prints but stopped that once I had more than a few that never made it to the framers.

travelisfun Feb 16th, 2004 11:06 AM

I collect magnets...sometimes pretty and sometimes tacky. Depends on the location. I've got a ton of them--it's fun when people come over and stand in the kitchen staring at the fridge! My favorite is a miniature painting of the Maroon Bells from Aspen.

Ingenieur Feb 16th, 2004 11:12 AM

I collect......
magnets for the frig,
postcards for the office & scrapbook,
and patches for my backpack.

JaneS Feb 16th, 2004 11:14 AM

We collect magnets too :) They are all over our fridge. We try to pick ones that are symbolizes or typifies a certain locale. For example, for NYC, we have an "I (HEART) NYC" magnet. For Paris, we have an Eiffel Tower magnet. For Boston, a giant lobster. I love to get new magnets and add them to our collection!

simpsonc510 Feb 16th, 2004 11:18 AM

For me it's coffee mugs. They hang on hooks on open wall space in my kitchen. Each morning when I have my coffee, I can think, "now where do I want to go today?"
I also have a t-shirt collection that is taking up way tooooo much space! I don't seem to wear the things that much after I buy them. My hubby and I both have quite a few from different Hard Rock restaurants around the globe.

Fodorite018 Feb 16th, 2004 11:20 AM

Magnets

Christmas ornaments

Print/painting

Bug bite cream...yes, really. It started when we had to get some for our daughter who was practically eaten alive by mosquitos and now its a running joke...each country, a new cream.

pottery...either dishes or tiles.

eileenleft Feb 16th, 2004 11:26 AM

memories...take 'em out, dust 'em off, enjoy them all over again

travelinwifey Feb 16th, 2004 11:34 AM

sea shells, stationary from the hotel, postcards, and magents.

jenstu13 Feb 16th, 2004 11:37 AM

postcards, magnets, rocks (labeled of course) and pencils that I will never write with but have to have