Reload this Page >

What do I look for when buying Coach or Kate Spade bags on Canal Street

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Tosha

Going to NYC in May. I shopped on Canal Street first time in NYC earlier this year expecting to get great bargains on Coach and KS handbags. I was quoted prices between $20 - $140. I am not familiar with these bags so not sure what to look for. How can I tell if leather or not. Also, saw many women carrying what I think were Coach bags -very smart. Want to get one, but paying Canadian $ so need to know I'm getting value.
Advice please.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Howard

THe obvious advice: Be aware that you'll be buying a fake!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 05:40 AM
gail

They may even be leather, but inferior quality and certainly not authentic. This area has a lot of vendors selling discount "designer" stuff - most (?all) of it fake. But if you can't tell the difference, can your friends? Then there is the moral issue of buying counterfeit. You also have no recourse if it falls apart on the trip home. Buyer beware!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:30 AM
goforebay

You'll have better luck on ebay. Some items are much better quality and you can spend time looking things over before you decide to bid.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Jess

If you really want to get a believable fake, browse at the real stores first. Then, feel all the bags you are thinking about buying. Also, never pay more than $25 and never pay the first price they quote. I think its better to avoid fake logo bags, they just look cheap.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:44 AM
retailer

If you are paying that far below retail cost, there are two reasons. Either it is their actual product but it was stolen somewhere in the distribution process or it is a fake. More likely the latter.

You are not buying a Coach or KS bag, you are buying their style bag. It is hit or miss on the quality.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
suzanne

I've never seen fake Coach bags on Canal Street (though I've never really looked for one). But if you want a leather bag, you can tell it's leather by the smell.

I see Kate Spade bags all the time down there. But Kate Spade bags are typically fabric. The more fake-looking bags have visible glue and the label is glued on. Better replicas have everything stiched on.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Anna

Bought a beautiful Coach bag on on ebay and saved about 40%!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:48 PM
CanalSt

I bought a Coach duffel and at another time a Coach Station bag in Chinatown.They were each $60-had Coach stamped into the leather, the hardware was Coach.So it isn't exactly fake-I don't know how they get it,maybe they are "irregulars"?

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 06:49 PM
canalSt

sorry --not duffel-a backpack,

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 10:59 PM
coachgirl

Canal street shopper you did not buy an original coach for 60bucks, the whole point of counterfeit is so that it looks real to someone who obviously doesn;t know what the real quality stuff looks like. All Coach bags have serial numbers with registration cards to be mailed into the Coach company, I am guessing that your fake bag has neither....As a buyer of Coach products (14 bags) I can spot a fake a mile away...they look cheap and they are cheap!!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:44 AM
xxx

Coach has a genuine outlet store (but not in NYC). If you're so desperate to have a Coach bag at a lower price, then either head to the outlet or to a store in NYC that sells top quality second hand clothing and accessories. Or check on Ebay. Don't buy a cheap knock off most likely made in sweatshops where the workers earn near slave wages.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Workin' Girl

You are getting what you pay for -- a lousy knock-off. If that's what you want, fine, but don't pretend it's anything else.

I own 8 Coach leather purses and numerous accessories. Like Coachgirl, I can spot a fake.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Danna

Ditto the other posters.

Don't get a Canal St. Coach. SCREAMS fake. KS fakes more difficult to detect from a distance, I still wouldn't use mine until I got home to hicksville, I was afraid the New York girls could spot it!

Coach has LOTS of outlets. Look them up on the net.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Howard

There is a good-sized Coach outlet store in Woodbury Common, about 90 minutes north of NYC. You can catch a bus from the Port Authority to this 240-plus stores outlet center.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Coach Snob

Are you that desperate??? I have had Coach bags since I was old enough to carry a purse (I am now 33). I understand that you think they may be a status symbol of some sort, but it you can't run with the big dogs and buy QUALITY merchandise, stay on the porch with your fakes. Why don't you get some fake Ralph Lauren glasses and fake Gucci shoes while you are at it!!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:33 AM
cindy

The "leather" bags on the street are not leather--sorry to disappoint you. You also cannot tell by the smell (thought that worked years ago, and my mother still tries that!)--you would have to look at an inside seam and see if you can detect the telltale leather
'fringiness' --like suede-- on the back of the leather.

The fabric bags, "Coach" or "Kate Spade"
are certainly much more convincing looking and personally that's where I'd try to save the money. Fabric bags, even expensive ones, get dirty and ratty after a year so why spend KS's $200!. Coach Leather bags will last for years, and can be maintained, so I'd rather spend there. Do look for some of the outlets and see if any are near places you will visit.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:35 AM
KittyKat

Coach snob: Meow!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Coach Snob

That's right, Kitty Kat.

I am so sick of these Ghetto Queens infringing their "Ghetto Chic" on our long standing quality merchandise.

For God's sake, look what they did to Gucci!!

Enough said!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:25 AM
E.

I can't believe ANYONE takes handbags this seriously--you're all embarassing yourselves! HELLO, it's just BAGS! The main reason not to buy fakes is b/c you're ripping off the legitimate owner of the logo; otherwise, fake or real, who cares? Buy what looks good to you. Taking such absurd pride in carrying a real Coach or whatever is juvenile.