Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What Disney resort for a 50th birthday trip no kids?

Sep 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Forum,
I am "dreaming" of a 50th birthday treat - a trip just for the grownups! Without totally breaking the bank, but still enjoying a sense of special - what Disney resort would you recommend?
Thanks!
Sep 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM

We stayed at the Boardwalk a couple of years ago . . Very comfortable with "adult atmosphere" . .
Sep 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM

If you can go low season, and get great rates while the kids are in school; you have access to the better destinations as well. Best properties and least likely to have kiddies: Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Beach, and Yacht.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is another option, but because of the Savannah view rooms, they might be more likely to have kids at all times. Wilderness Lodge is a scenic hotel with a great restaurant, but it's been swarming with Mouseketeers every time I have been.
Sep 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Let me say right up front that I am not a fan of the "Disneyfication" of literature, legends and little ones. So I'm curious - what about a Disney resort vacation is appealing to you as a way to celebrate a 50th birthday?
Sep 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I just re-read my post and it sounds kinda snarky. Sorry. I really AM interested in what the appeal is for an adult vacation at a Disney Resort.
Sep 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I'm celebrating my 50th there this January (although a few months later) and I think it's a great place for it. I would recommend if you want to stay at one of the EPCOT resorts you rent points at a Villa (Beach Club or Boardwalk, both are nice) through the DIS Boards. We're getting a preferred view at the Boardwalk Villas for less than a moderate resort hotel room this time, which is typical. If you are a teacher, you can usually get a discount at the Swan or Dolphin, also great resorts for adults. If you don't really care about money, I would recommend the Boardwalk Inn. We once had a room over the main doors to the quiet pool area with a view of Paris at EPCOT. Wish I could remember the number...but it was a very romantic view, with the higher fireworks visible every night.

For those who wonder why WDW for a grown up vacation: No need to drive. Staying at the EPCOT resorts allows access to a huge number of good to excellent to superb dining experiences within walking distance (at the Boardwalk, the resorts, EPCOT, and MGM); fireworks every night you want them; shows; and yes, even rides. Just do your research. There is also a lovely scotch flight at the Bel Vue Lounge at the boardwalk resort for a nice evening event. I can't wait for this trip...it's the first without kids, and I've been looking forward to it for several years.
Sep 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM

I agree that an Epcot resort would be an excellent choice for your 50th birthday celebration at Disney. It is very nice to be able to walk to Epcot and Disney Studios (or you can take a ferry). My favorite Epcot resort is the Boardwalk Inn, but The Beach Club and Yacht Club are beautiful too. These are all Deluxe resorts and are comparable, except for theming. It's really just a matter of which theme appeals to you. The Swan and Dolphin are in the Epcot resort area, but are not owned by Disney.

I spent my 50th birthday at Disney and it was great fun.

When are you going? Disney announced a promotion yesterday offering seven nights for the price of four at moderate and deluxe resorts for some weeks in November and December and early 2010. Go to disneyworld.com and click on special offers.

Also, I suggest disboards.com for help in planning a trip to Disney World.
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM

I recently stayed at the Polynesian and it was lovely. But my favorite is the Grand Floridian.
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

I do Disneyland Paris or Tokyo
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:37 AM

I'd rather stay at one of the Universal hotels. Does it have to be Disney?
Sep 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM

I'd stay at the Portofino Bay or the Royal Pacific
http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Cities/Orlando.aspx
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM

I'm with a couple of others - don;t get Disney for a 50th birthday. I spent mine in real Paris - not fake Parisland.

I get Disney for kids - and Epcot is mildly interesting for adults if you're in Orlando for a meeting and have to take clients somewhere. But would never do it voluntarily.

And i fyou want a nice hotel with fewer kids why not try the Hyatt Grand Cypress - lots of activities, a couple of good restaurants and not too many little ones.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM

Here's the thing: It's the OP's birthday. He/she doesn't have to defend or explain to Fodorites their choice of vacation. There is no one and only one way to travel, vacation, or enjoy a birthday.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

Actually the brand new Waldorf-Astoria just opened at Disney. Would be worth checking out, I believe it is the only other WA in the US ouside of New York.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:27 AM

321: I hear you!!! The OP has made it clear that a Disney vacation is the way to go for his 50th!

The last time we went to Disney, our kids were in their early teens and my husband and I made sure that our schedule didn't completely revolve around the mouse. We actually based our itinerary around the restaurants we wanted to go to. It was nice that WDW actually had several excellent restaurants to choose from. We were able to enjoy the nicer ones, like the two restaurants in France (World Showcase), the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort (dessert was served as the fireworks started), the Grand Floridian's Prince Albert, etc. We had a relaxing lunch at the Coral Reef restaurant a few feet away from the gigantic aquarium (we just had to ignore the commotion and activity around us).

Even the luau/show at the Polynesian was well received not just by the kids! And high tea at the Grand Floridian! The OP will also definitely enjoy Downtown Disney.

Like starrs, the next 3 trips to Orlando (because the kids were then too "old" for the WDW parks), we stayed at the Portofino. I include this info, because I wanted to tell the OP that it's not too much of a hassle to go to the restaurants at the Universal area from WDW - there's an Emeril and Tchoup choup (also an Emeril restaurant located at Universal's Royal Pacific Hotel) - two restaurants that we absolutely loved.

Have a fun 50th birthday gidlaurie!!!
Oct 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

nytraveler,

Yours has got to be one of the most condescending posts I have ever seen. Oooh, we're all impressed you've been to Paris. It may come as a surprise to you that many people do not have the means to go to paris!

Disney is many things to many people. I may be biased since I live in Orlando, but I have been to disney with kids and with adults only, and have enjoyed both experiences. There are many many things disney that appeal to adults (restaurants, shows, bars, nightclubs, hotels, golf, tennis, etc.) In fact right now the food and wine festival is going on at EPCOT which is very enjoyable and very adult.

Happy 50th gislaurie, I hope you post a trip report when you get back.

Disney tip of the day - sit at the back bar at bongos on a Sat. night for a great time and the best mojitos (calle ocho mojito is da bomb) and caipharinas you will ever have.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM

Sorry - did not mean to be condescending - but I really just don;t get it.

I did, however, make a suggestion that I thought adults might enjoy - letting them do Disney AND other stuff and not be constantly surounded by other people's small kids.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM

I just checked the new Waldorf-Astoria website and they are offering opening specials starting at $179/night.

http://www.waldorfastoriaorlando.com/resort/
Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

I've always wanted to stay at Boardwalk Inn...that would be a possibility for me. Animal Kingdom Lodge looks great for vegging out but is not terribly convenient. I'd probably choose the Contemporary, however...new more modern decor, plus super convenient, plus there's really not a bad view.

I spent my 50th at Universal, at the Royal Pacific with my youngest daughter. The oldest two kids were on a school trip, Husband coudln't leave town and I wasn't going to do NOTHING for my 50th, so off we went. Front of the line is SWEET!
Oct 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM

NYtraveller.. just because you want to go to Paris, doesn't mean everyone does. I don't have a real inclination to go to Paris. Back to the original poster, I have no children and have travelled from Australia to Disneyworld and Disneyland numberous times and I am heading up towards 50. I would love that as a 50th present... Perhaps try Grand Floridian....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO