Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What Disney hotels on site is the best to stay at with a 12 year old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am bringing my 12 year old daughter to Disneyworld for the first time. Looking at the hotels in brochures they all seem very nice. Which Disney hotel is the best to stay at? Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Jamaica,

Recommend you take this question to the Disney experts on disboards.com. They should have a lot of suggestions for you.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM

I would suggest staying at the Beach Club or the Yacht Club. They share the same pool known as Stormalong Bay. It is essentially a mini water park with a huge slide, whirlpools, hot tubs, a sandy beach bottom. Really cool. The hotel is situated next to Epcot and you can walk to the World Show case part of the park. It is also a short boat ride away from MGM - the favorite spot of lots of preteens. MGM has the most fast rides.

We've also stayed at the Contemporary, the Boardwalk Villas and the Coronado Springs. All were very nice in their own ways. Coronado Springs also has a great pool.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Hi,
I LOVE the beach and Yachtt club...however I would probably only stay there if I was also going to Epcot and/Or MGM as well as The Magic Kingdom.... Part of the greatness about it is you can walk straight form the resort to Epcot or grab a 5 minute ferry to MGM as well as it being on the bus route for the MK

Ruby
[email protected]
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Hello. Thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate them all. I am hoping to hit 4 or 5 parks.
Is Universal far from the Disney area?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Its about a 20 minute drive in moderate traffic.

By the way the suggestion to check out the disboards.com is an excellent one. Lots of very knowlegible posters there. Another great website for looking at pictures of the resorts is wdwig.com. They have a ton of pictures of the hotels, the rooms and yes even the bathrooms.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:53 AM

My 12 year old went to disney and universal last year with another family. She/they liked Universal much better. Maybe you should check the hotels near/at Universal as well.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:06 PM

All of the hotels are nice. Your choice depends on your price range and what parks you'd like to be closest too. The All-Star hotels are probably more oriented toward small children than a 12 year old though.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Just came back from Orlando last week. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge (with 10 year old boy and 14 year old girl). Everyone absolutely loved it. Our room overlooked the Savannah and when we checked in there was a giraffe eating leaves off the tree right outside our balcony. All kinds of animals in our backyard any time of the day or night. The hotel is fairly new so everything is pristine--no "lived in" look. The lobby is fantastic and there are guides located around the hotel to tell you about life in Africa. Totally awesome! Our kids much preferred Disney to Universal, especially Animal Kingdom and MGM. If we return, we will stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge again for sure. (Even if minor things go wrong, Disney staff make sure they're rectified in a heartbeat.)