Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What city in the east is next to the most beautiful country scenery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Harold

Next year my wife and I are moving out of Delaware and retiring. We love living in a metro area but want to be next to beautiful scenery. We want to be near forests, lakes, streams, hills, parks and wetlands.

Looking for advice from travelers. What city in the east is next to the most beautiful countryside?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Clay

My vote goes with either Nashville, Knoxville, TN or Asheville, NC.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Louis

Boston

Beautiful New England right next door. Everything you asked for: Forests, lakes, mountains, water, Cape Cod, what more can you ask for!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:54 AM
JHC

Budapest.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:14 AM
b

another vote for BOSTON

In the summer you have options: White Mountain hiking in NH, lovely Green Mountains, Cape Cod and the Islands, Atlantic Ocean, Lakes region of NH, Newport, etc

In the winter you have skiing, snowboarding, ice fishing, ice skating.

The change in seasons affords you a multitude of activities.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:12 PM
charles

depends

If you mean right next to, ie can see it from your house - Burlington vermont

If you mean a short car ride, Boston Mass - more to see but generally you have to get in the car.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Leslie

Washington DC area. The bay, rolling farms and forests, Skyline Drive, the beautiful mountains of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, eastern shore.

Beautiful

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 01:47 PM
jonjon

I would pick Jacksonville, Florida. Everything is right there. You have the Atlantic Ocean right outside you door and the scenery is great. YOu should really look into the Jacksonville area.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Hale

Budapest actually sounds good next to Jacksonville!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:56 PM
g

Sure, Burlington is a great outdoorsey town but it's hardly a "metro area" - the original poster was looking for a metro area.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:07 PM
JT

The right place in Boston would be great; a great place in Portland would be right.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Nancy

I know the PERFECT place! Utterly charming seaside town(s) within reasonable driving distance of a nice city full of arts and culture, not to mention magnificent architecture and spectacular scenery all aound.. Homes are moderately priced and taxes are reasonable. You'd be within a nice drive of a huge and gorgeous lake, surrounded by charming towns, along with stunning mountains and a breathtaking coastline, where the "tourist" season is limited to Mid-July thru Mid-August. If you think I'm gonna tell you about it on a public forum, NO WAY. You'll just have to find it the same way I did, by researching and travelling for years and years. If I were to divulge my findings, the prices, taxes, and crowds would all explode. Any "intimacy" here would evaporate forever. And, be advised, that any place recommended here is sure to cost you much more than you could do otherwis. This is a TRAVEL FORUM, not a RETIREMENT FORUM. Do your homework, shop around, and don't spill the beans when you find it.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Harold

To the last poster: Finding a place that has great travel destinations around the city is a travel question.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:47 PM
notta

Only one thing wrong with the idyllic community Nancy lives in....Nancy!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Anna

Nancy seems to be sold on the Manchester, NH area -- maybe look into that region, Harold.