Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What can you tell me about Mirror Lake - Campton (near Woodstock) NH (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-can-you-tell-me-about-mirror-lake-campton-near-woodstock-nh-505753/)

JCee Feb 21st, 2005 06:57 AM

What can you tell me about Mirror Lake - Campton (near Woodstock) NH

I've found a house to rent in July for our family of 5 (kids 19, 15 12) on Mirror Lake in Campton, NH - just south of Woodstock, NH. Can anyone shed some light on this area for me. Besides the lake (house comes with kayak, paddleboats, etc.) what else is there to do? What interesting towns are nearby? Where could we find hiking? Can we swim in Mirror Lake?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

dfrostnh Feb 22nd, 2005 02:24 AM

Sorry, can't tell you about Mirror Lake but here's info about the general area. Campton is very close to Plymouth which is a college town. It also abuts Holderness and Sandwich. On the other side of Sandwich, heading east is Tamworth which has a nice summer theater. Also the Remick Museum which we haven't visited but appears to have old timey events. Sandwich is one of our favorite areas, a beautiful town you will want to drive around. The Corner House Tavern is a good place to eat. You can also hunt for the Sandwich Creamery which makes their own ice cream. It's self service, honor system and well off the beaten path. We saw two bears when we were driving around in late July. One was grazing in someone's yard and the other was trying to cross the road. You can also drive thru the Sandwich Notch road which is only open in summer. There's a small waterfall not far from the road. Good place for a picnic lunch. One of those rare places that is not commercial. The Tamworth area is where sled dogs were trained for polar expeditions. I don't think the old kennels are open but someone is preserving the place. Unfortunately, I don't think nearby Squam Lake has any public beach but there is a science center. We took an interesting boat ride years ago. There is always something going on at the science center. You are also pretty close to the quieter side (Meredith and Center Harbor) of Lake Winnipesaukee. If you want crowds, head to Weirs Beach. There's an arcade, water park, drive-in theater, etc. This is the place where people show off their rides, lots of classic cars, motorcycles, etc. You'll be able to find lobster rolls, onion rings and fried clams at a variety of places. From Campton, continue up Rt 93 for some serious hiking trails in the White Mountains. Rt 93 will take you thru Franconia Notch. Unfortunately, the Old Man collapsed. You will want to choose your hikes based on difficulty etc. You can hike to a waterfall, grand views, etc. If you can't swim in Mirror Lake, there are plenty of other places. Campton is between the mountains and the lakes but is a quiet little town. If you wanted a shopping adventure, head south on Rt 93 to the outlet mall in Tilton or over to North Conway. Any White Mountain tourist info will be helpful to you. You may want to pick up a NH Atlas and Gazetteer available at all bookstores and many newstands which has very detailed maps and info about hiking trails and good places to canoe.

JCee Feb 22nd, 2005 11:25 AM

Thanks dfrostnh for the very helpful info! I really appreciate it.