Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what Broadway shows would be appealing to a family with 12 and 9 year old kids?

Jul 16th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Teresa

I've heard raves about Lion King on this forum and others but we'd like to see something else on our trip to New York (12 year old is turning up his nose at Lion King--I know, he'd probably love it but why force the issue?). My husband and I saw Fosse in Denver last summer and loved it but don't want to duplicate it in New York. So....what show would make all of us happy? Our 12 year old wants to see Blue Man Group or Stomp--the 9 year old's just thrilled to be going to New York and could care less what she sees! I know all of you savvy Broadway show attendees can help me out-thanks!

Jul 16th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Howard

I'd recommend The Music Man or Annie Get Your Gun. If the older one doesn't want to see The Lion King, I'm sure that he'd feel the same about Beauty and the Beast!

Jul 16th, 2001, 05:50 PM
jhm

Blue Man Group and Stomp are both terrific choices; the 9 year old will love both, as I think you will. I think these are very different from the conventional musical genre, very "cool" and very much what a 12 year old, a 9 year old and their parents will love to talk about when they get home!

Jul 16th, 2001, 07:42 PM
Tamara

I agree that Annie Get Your Gun would likely appeal to both of your children and still provide fun entertainment for you and your husband.

Jul 16th, 2001, 09:55 PM
frank

I agree with Howard about "The Music Man." - but "Annie Get Your Gun" would be enjoyable for them also.

If your 12-year old is savvy enough to know about "Blue Man Group" and "Stomp" and you think you might also enjoy it - go for it. The kid may just know something.

I believe all of the shows mentioned are "almost always" available at TKTS.

Jul 17th, 2001, 05:55 AM
tommy

Just remember BLue Man and Stomp are not on Broadway, rather they are considered off Broadway shows, and as such are not in the theater district.

Jul 17th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Meg

I think Aida would be a good choice for a family.

Jul 17th, 2001, 06:36 AM
Howard

I'll have to disagree with Meg. I don't think Aida is the best choice for 9- and 12-year-olders.

Jul 17th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Meg

Why do you say that, Howard? My husband took our kids (early teens) to see Aida. The music was more.... hmm... rock oriented, I guess is what I'm trying to say than traditional Broadway tunes, and the kids really enjoyed it. I think it's a good story about tolerance, discrimination and love. Of course, the kids also enjoyed RENT, which I didn't recommend they see, but they had heard the soundtrack and wanted to go.

Jul 17th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Diane

We took our 13 year old to Aida this winter, and she loved it. In fact, the entire family did! There is nothing in Aida that is unsuitable for a 9 or 12 year old--there were people of all ages in the audience. I would recommend it highly.

Jul 17th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Howard

Ok, I concede about Aida....I don't think that it's unsuitable; it just wouldn't be my first choice!

Jul 18th, 2001, 04:45 AM
zzzz

So much of bway is geared to the very young or the very simple. I can't imagine you will find a musical above the standards of a 12 year. Someone who lives here, they bus people in and out of the city for those productions. A few like Lion King are of quality but most of bway is mass produced, slap stick humor etc. Blue Man Group and Stomp are again exceptions to the simpleton rule.

Jul 18th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Howard

Let us all ignore zzzz and he/she will go quietly back to getting his/her z's!

Jul 18th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Snidely

Don't take you kids to any broadway shows. They are all intended to lure your children into the seedier, perverted alternate life style of that industry....

Jul 18th, 2001, 05:06 AM
jhm

Tangentially, I actually agree with zzz, as contentious as he is. Broadway is remarkable, but I do not feel that Broadway is overrun with quality shows, or shows that are particularly creative. Plays like Proof are outstanding; plays like The Allergist's Wife are not. Disney shows are more spectacle than anything else (I have not seen Aida). You have revivals like Annie Get Your Gun, Music Man, etc.. I thought RENT was remarkable in that it, for the most part, broke the mold of convention (I mean that in both the "shaping tool" and "fungus" senses). I agree with zzz: while Blue Man Group and Stomp are not on Broadway, I think they subvert the conventional theatrical genre and attempt to innovate, which is more than I can say for most shows.

Jul 18th, 2001, 05:28 AM
jay

Aida! Amazingly written and breathtaking! You won't be dissappointed!

Jul 18th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Mary

I'm 14 and I saw Aida in March (when I was then 13) and LOVED it. I would really recommend it to anyone, and I think a 9 and 12 year old would enjoy it. The story is amazing, the sets spectacular, and the singing and acting breathtaking. The songs are much more "rock music" then most other Bway shows, and I think you're son and daughter would enjoy it.

Jul 19th, 2001, 07:13 AM
thereuare

I would HIGHLY (read HIGHLY!!!!) recommend Blue Man Group for the whole family. I think it is one of the most original and innovative shows out there today. There is no real storyline (so don't expect some intricate love story), but it is just good-hearted, clean, FUN!!

STOMP! is a distant second choice, and De Laguarda is a distant third (as another suggestion for "unique" theater).

For the record, a "Broadway Show" has nothing to do with theater location, it has to do with size of the theater. I believe <500 seats is "off-broadway" and >500 seats is "Broadway." Don't get caught up in the "hype" that you need to see a show in the theater district, just go see a good show that the whole family will enjoy. Blue Man fits the bill and gets my vote.

Jul 19th, 2001, 07:39 AM
tommy

I never meant to create any "hype" regarding broadway v. off broadway. However, since the title of the thread mentions "Broadway shows" I thought a little clarification was in order. Especially since the poster seems unfamiliar with the City, and both Stomp and Blue Man are playing downtown, not in the theater district. I thought this might be pertinent to someone planning an itinerary for a day. I wouldnt want to have dinner reservations in midtown thinking that I could walk to one of these shows because I though they were in the theater district.

That said, I have not seen Blue Man, but saw Stomp many years ago when it was still in previews, and the idea that it could compare with a Broadway show is not logical in my mind. There is no plot, dialogue, score, acting, etc etc. It is certainly an energetic and creative performance, but not much beyond that in my estimation. Comparing that to Cabaret, Chicago, or Rent is fantasy.

Jul 19th, 2001, 09:26 PM
Teresa

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful replies--we're going to have a wonderful trip if all New Yorkers are this friendly and helpful. I heard via Playbill that Crystal Bernhard is now starring in Annie Get Your Gun--that may be promising. Blue Man Group is still near the top of our list even though it's technically not on Broadway. Here's another question for everyone--where are some good places for a pre-theater dinner (keeping in mind the 9 and 12 year olds will be with us)? We've done the Hard Rock/Planet Hollywood thing and want to move on to something else. Whoever said we're not familiar with New York is right on the money so all of your suggestions are much appreciated!