Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What books about Hawaii have you enjoyed? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-books-about-hawaii-have-you-enjoyed-472478/)

DawnCt Sep 6th, 2004 03:36 PM

What books about Hawaii have you enjoyed?

Those of us who have been to Hawaii more than once find something about Hawaii that keeps calling us back. That interest often goes beyond just calling Hawaii a vacation destination. Prior to my first visit, I read Hawaii by James Mitchner. While on this most recent trip, I bought A Holy Man, about Father Damien's mission in Kaulapapa, and since I have returned I read A Separating Sickness,which is a collection of interviews by former patients of Kaulapapa, Prilgrimage and Exile (about Mother Marianne), In the Shadow of the Pali, and I am just about finished with Ka'a'a'wa, by A.O. Bishop. Does you have a favorite book, historical novel, etc, that you would recommend?

CCinBC Sep 8th, 2004 07:05 AM

I enjoyed "Roughing It" by Mark Twain. It's an autobiographical account of Twain's travels and experiences out west. While only a part of it deals with Hawaii, I found the whole book charming and historically interesting. He describes everything from surfing to cultural events in Hawaii with typical Twain style.

Craig Sep 8th, 2004 07:08 AM

I think Michener's Hawaii is a must read for anyone visiting for the first time.

MzPossum Sep 8th, 2004 08:38 AM

Another vote for Michener's Hawaii. This book made me want to go visit (and I eventually did!)

bonniebroad Sep 8th, 2004 08:44 AM

Another vote for Michener's "Hawaii." (He stayed with my sister and her husband for a week, when they lived in Australia. They were all involved with NASA, Michener was writing "Space" at the time... ) He went to bed early ever night, exactly 9 PM, no matter what else was happening. Autographed a table cloth for my sister, and she embroidered the signature onto the cloth, has it to this day! :-) They loved him, found brilliant!

kimamom Sep 8th, 2004 08:46 AM

I read "Hawaii" when all of my kids were there visiting family for two weeks. Great book! ***kim***

MzPossum Sep 8th, 2004 09:24 AM

bonnie, what an excellent memory for your sister!

sfamylou Sep 8th, 2004 10:12 AM

Another vote here for Michener's Hawaii. Also, I read a Susanna Moore book called The Whiteness of Bones. It was interesting and kind of dark, but early scenes describe her Hawaiian childhood

gigib Sep 9th, 2004 11:03 AM

I read "Hotel Honolulu" by Paul Theroux, I can't really say I liked it, Theroux tends to write too "crabby" for my taste, but it is set on contemporary Oahu. I picked it up only because of the title!

carolyn Sep 10th, 2004 07:39 AM

From Here to Eternity by James Jones. I re-read it this year along with his other two novels of WWII, The Thin Red Line and Whistle. The latter two are not set in Hawaii, but the trilogy is excellent. When I read FHTE years ago, it was all about the titillation; but Jones is really an excellent writer.

pdxgirl Sep 10th, 2004 10:23 AM

I really enjoyed Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz. It is about Captain Cook's voyages in the south Pacific and how the impact of those visits can still be seen today. It gives a good account of Captain Cook's visits to Hawaii, including his death at Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island. Part history, part travelogue. A great read.