Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What areas are the 'sunny sides' on Maui, Hawaii & Kauai?

Notices

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for areas to begin my search for Christmas vacation 2006 with my 80 year old mom.
Thanks much.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Kal

Winter rule of thumb on Kauai:

Christmas+Kauai+sunny=Poipu
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Kal,
Thanks for the information. I'd love to go to Kauai, but we had some friends who vacationed there last Christmas and had rain nearly the entire time. I know that can happen, but do you think it's more likely to happen on Kauai, or are all islands created equal when it comes to rain and sun?
Thanks again
Caroline
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
Kal

Tuff call. :-?

Kauai is the farthest north and west of the chains...and it's called The Garden Isle for a reason.

Up until the last two trips, we've had visits with almost 21 straight days of sunshine (some rain but not enuff to stay inside all day) on our Dec/Jan stays. I do recall some BIG rains last two Dec/Jan trips. 2 yrs ago gusts up to 60 mph and flooding.

We too have had friends who went over and experienced 5-6 straight days of rain.
Told them they took some bad karma over with them.

IMHO, it's worth the chance.

Is your 80 yr old Mom as active as my 80 yr old Mom? Not "hiking NaPali" active but still moves around pretty good?

I'd give you a warning about roosters, chickens, bugs, rain, too dark at night, expensive, nothing to do etc ad nauseum but it may lead to idle chit chat and inane bantering...like "talking story" on Kauai with ohana!
Mucho mahalos!
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM

The south and west sides are the sunny sides and the east and north sides are the rainy sides.

On Kauai Poipu is on the sunny side and Kapaa, Lihue and expecially Hanalei are on the wet side.

On Maui Ka'anapali/Kapalua and especially Kihei/Wailea are on the dry sides. Hana is on the wet side.

On the Big Island, Kailua is on the dry side and Hilo is on the wet side.

Ken
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

TERRIFIC information! Thank you so much! I have a couple more questions:
In looking at the Kona side, there's several different areas listed on the VRBO website. Is there a more beach-oriented area in the Kona area?
Thanks so much!!!
Caroline
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

dcsam,

I've been to the big island twice and stayed in the Kohala area which is north of Kona. My aunt used to rent a house in the Puako area. It is a really cool "residential" area with houses and cottages, many of them built right on the ocean. The beaches are not great in this area, but just a couple of miles north is Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea beach, both gorgeous. I would stay in this area again. I can give you some urls for rentals if you are interested, as I am scoping it out for a possible future trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:54 PM

The best white sand beaches on the island are along the Kohala Coast. This is the west/sunny side of the island.

What's confusing is that the word "Kona" is used to refer to different areas: two districts on the island (North and South Kona), or to Kailua-Kona, or even to the entire west side of the island.

Very few white sand beaches are in Kailua, or in North or South Kona, and the few that exist are either small, rocky or both. The great beaches are north of there, in Kohala, but very few private rentals are available close to these beaches. If you don't want to stay at a resort that fronts these beaches your best bet is one of the Waikoloa condos (Shores at Waikoloa, Vista Waikoloa etc). These condos are a 10-minute walk to A-Bay, and a 15-20 minute drive to the spectacular beaches at Hapuna and Mauna Kea.