Search

What area to stay in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What area to stay in San Francisco

My wife and I are going to San Fran next summer for 2-3 nights as part of a California vacation. Last time we went, 10 years ago, we went with our kids and stayed in Fisherman's Wharf. I am interested in a recommendation whether Nob Hill, Financial District, Union Square or the Embarcadero area would be more interesting. Just looking for a nice area to stay and am not concerned with tourist attractions.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Here it is - for perhaps the 20th time.

San Francisco Hotel Areas
It seems that about once every week, there is a discussion about “where to stay” while visiting San Francisco – especially for first timers. Most people ask about either the Union Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, Embarcadero, or the Marina hotel areas. Here are some thoughts, with a little of my bias thrown in:

1. Union Square - This is downtown’s fashionable shopping/dining/hotel area. The “Grand” hotels are here, and a few blocks north on Nob Hill (very steep to walk there, however). The big department stores are close by, along with many smaller shops and “boutique” hotels. It is also next to the theater district. Perhaps our most “elegant” restaurants are in this area (Fleur de Lys, Farallon, Masa’s, Michael Minna, etc). There are fewer “simple”, “Mom-n-Pop”, or ethnic restaurants than you will find in other parts of the City – except a little west in the Tenderloin, which might scare a few first-timers at night. The Cable Cars run by Union Square, so you can get to the Wharf area quickly. You can get off the Hyde St C.C. line at Union St for a walk downhill to Union St/Chestnut St (Cow Hollow/Marina). The major drawback is it’s proximity to the gritty Tenderloin, which is immediately west & south of Union Square. I don’t know if crime rates are higher, but you will feel a little more threatened than you will in the other three districts I’ll describe. There are many high-rise buildings, so there’s a little less sunlight than you will find elsewhere. Union Sq. is perhaps not as “family oriented” as the other hotel areas. It gets more business travelers, and people who want a little more “luxury” in their hotel. Union Square is a bit “dead” on Sundays, and not as lively as the other places in the evening. I don’t enjoy strolling after dinner in this area as much as I do on Union St/Chestnut St. If you have a car, you will regret it. Parking is very expensive ($50 per night or so), and driving is difficult.

2. Fisherman’s Wharf. The Wharf is mostly inhabited by tourists. Plenty of souvenir shops selling T-shirts & other things to remind you of your visit to SF. Local entertainment includes a wax museum, Ripley’s Believe-it-or-Not, and many fast food places – things kids might enjoy. You won’t find many locals in this area (and if you did – they wouldn’t admit it). Most restaurants are tourist oriented, and most locals feel they are mediocre at best. Good proximity to the Cable Cars, which is a plus. Nice views out into the Bay. It’s also within walking distance of North Beach, which should be on everyone’s agenda for at least one Italian dinner and “people watching” evening. With the Cable Cars, it’s quick to get downtown, but you might have to wait in line for 30 mins or so at peak times. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Union St/Chestnut St areas (see 4th option for description). The Wharf is a perfectly safe area (from crime, vagrants, etc). Hotels usually charge $25-$40 per day for parking. Lively (with tourists) every day. If you want to stay in a typical non-San Francisco environment, this is a good choice

3. The Embarcadero This area is directly on the waterfront at the “foot” of Market St. It’s on the eastern edge of the Financial District – so it’s quite active on work days. This area is great for public transportation because the cable car, Muni Metro, normal Muni, and BART are close by. The Ferry building is located here, so it’s great for taking the ferry to various locations around the bay. There is a Farmers Market on Saturdays & Tuesdays at the Ferry Building, and food stalls & restaurants inside the Ferry Bldg which are open every day. It is an easy walk or public transportation to the other hotel areas - except a little difficult for the Marina & Union St. If you like to be near the water & out of the touristy Fisherman’s Wharf area, then this would be a great choice. Lots of restaurants in this area. If you like to take long walks or jog, the Embarcadero is perfectly flat, so it is great for a morning or evening walk/stroll/jog.

4. Marina. There are many motels along Lombard St, which are (in general) cheaper and much more simple than the ones you will find in the other districts. The main advantage to this area, in my opinion, is that it has more typical SF “flavor” than the other spots. Lombard St is one block from Chestnut St, and three blocks from Union St. Both these streets are loaded with boutiques, restaurants, and buildings with unique architecture (Victorians on Union, Art Deco on Chestnut). When we first moved to San Francisco almost 37 years ago, I remember a poster that said “If you left your heart in San Francisco, you will probably find it on Union St”. This is a residential area and you will find many locals doing their daily “stuff.” On a Sunday morning (especially if it’s sunny) you will see many folks going to the exercise studio, having breakfast at one of the many outdoor café’s, and standing on the street with their “lattes” and chatting with friends. There are no “elegant” restaurants in this area, but many of the type that locals enjoy (Isa, Betelnut, Balboa Café, A16). This is a good area for strolling during the day, before dinner, and after dinner – it is quite lively, especially on weekends. It’s about a 30 min walk to the Wharf, where you can catch a Cable Car (or walk up Union St to catch the CC). East of the Union St shopping area, (just past Van Ness) is Polk St, where there are more nice shops & restaurants. Also on Polk St is La Folie, which is one of my favorite restaurants (if someone else is buying) and also one of the highest “rated” in the City. This is a perfectly safe area. One of its best advantages, is that you can park a car free at many of the Motels. Also, it is an easy area to drive in (although there are steep hills just south), and it’s a quick trip across the Golden Gate Bridge to my favorite view in all the Bay Area (GGNRA, just north and to the west of the Bridge).

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 02:56 AM

What a great overview . not going soon to San Francisco but certainly will keep it in mind, could you name your favorite motel/hotel in Marina? Thank you.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:19 AM

We prefer the Embarcadero area; second choice for us is Union Square. We like to walk a lot and that's why I wouldn't choose Knob Hill.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Oops. Make that Nob Hill!
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Stu lays it out beautifullyl

My favorite motel in the Marina is the Chelsea Motor Inn - http://www.chelseamotorinn.com/ but there is also a newish/well regarded B & B on the Presidio - the former BOQ I believe - http://www.dailycandy.com/san-franci...-and-Breakfast - and several others in the Cow Hollow/Marina area.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have always stayed near Union Square. But would be interested to try the Embarcadero.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 07:39 AM

>>that's why I wouldn't choose Knob Hill.>Oops. Make that Nob Hill!
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM

Hey - I lived on Nob Hill once - years ago. From the financial district - took the Cal line cable car up the hill and it was great. Would sometimes stop off in Chinatown - at Sam Wo's - to buy dinner to go - usually Tomato Beef Chow Mein - for a $1.05 back then - and hop back on the cable car up the hill.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM

I agree with Stu's post. Out of the 3 areas, I would choose the Marina. I'm not a fan of Union Square, particularly at night. We've usually stay in Pacific Heights at the Laurel, or in Japantown at the Kabuki, both hotels are quite pleasant 3*'s.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM

If you like big city bustle, stay in Union Square; if you like funky neighborhoods and free or low-cost parking, stay in Cow Hollow.

HTtY
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM

StuDudley da god of San Francisco.

TSD - you lived there in the 1970's. You can't go back again.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM

No shxx Sherlock - aka Rasta. Just brilliant.
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM

And my favorite waiter at Sam Wo's - Edsel Ford Fong - is no longer with us, but there is a memorial plaque in North Beach for him.

We used to love to sit and watch Edsel bust the Tourists. He would give us a sly grin - and then go over and lower the boom on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel_Ford_Fong
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM

StuDudley da god of San Francisco.
From your mouth to God's ears.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Union Square has some of the best hotels in San Francisco, but it's noisy.

If you want quiet, then zootsi's two recommendations are very good. Next for quietness would be the Embarcadero area. Or, if you have the budget for it, the "grand dames" on Nob Hill: Fairmont, Mark Hopkins, Huntington - but the cable cars might drive you a but nuts up there, especially in the quiet of night before they stop running or in the early morning.

Whereas the Marina area is great to visit, I personally wouldn't overnight there, especially not in one of those "motel-hotels" on Lombard Street, just about the noisest place you could choose in SF.

Tomsd: Would sometimes stop off in Chinatown - at Sam Wo's - to buy dinner to go - usually Tomato Beef Chow Mein

Neither Edsel Fong nor Sam Wo is around any longer. However, there are plenty of other Chinese restaurants with rude waitstaff. Please try one of these - and you might even be lucky enough to find one that serves Tomato Beef Chow Mein without any foreign matter in the dish.
Otherwise, most of the best Chinese restaurants are no longer in SF Chinatown.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM

The Chelsea Inn was not noisy when I stayed there, nor presumably would the B & B in the Presidio be noisy, or other places that are off of Lombard. And yes, some of the other Motels on Lombard are noisy, particularly the rooms that front the street.

As for Chinese restaurants - a number did move/relocate out into the avenues - and others moved more toward North Beach, but I find it hard to believe there are no longer any good Chinese restaurants in Chinatown - and Yelp seems to think some still remain: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...rancisco%2C+CA
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
mrt
Original Poster

All good replies. Thank you all and especially Stu.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Perfect timing~headed to the City the weekend after Christmas!!
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM

I take my DDto SF a couple of times a year and we always stay in Union Square. Have stayed at teh following and have no complaints:

Villa Florence
JW Marriott (on Post)
Hotel Nikko
Handlery
Orchard

For my sister's wedding we stayed all together in the Marina. To me: meh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -