Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What are your favorite things to do in Santa Fe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-are-your-favorite-things-to-do-in-santa-fe-799985/)

volcanogirl Aug 8th, 2009 12:04 PM

What are your favorite things to do in Santa Fe?

Hi, guys - what are your favorite things to do in Santa Fe? We're open to all suggestions. I love Georgia O'Keeffe, so seeing her museum is a must. What else would you recommend?

maryanntex Aug 8th, 2009 12:36 PM

Since you're a Georgia O'Keeffe fan, you would really enjoy the tour of her home. I thought it was an awesome experience. Info is here: http://www.abiquiuinn.com/areaattractions.htm
You need to get tickets in advance. You have to do it by phone. There is a shuttle that takes you there from the Abiqiui Inn. We ate lunch there first--salads and sandwiches, which were very tasty and not terribly expensive.

I also love Santacafe.

volcanogirl Aug 8th, 2009 01:04 PM

marryann, yes, I would love that! Is that in Santa Fe, or how far is it?

ElendilPickle Aug 9th, 2009 01:57 PM

Abiquiu is about 45 minutes northwest of Santa Fe.

The new New Mexico History Museum is very nice - just north of the plaza.

We always enjoy just walking around, window shopping, etc. One gallery we really like is the Lisa Kristine photography gallery on San Francisco, a little over a block west of the plaza. www.lisakristine.com She does incredible work!

Lee Ann

ElendilPickle Aug 9th, 2009 01:58 PM

I should also have suggested that you look for threads by DebitNM and BeachGirl247, who have spent a lot more time and money in Santa Fe than we have! :-D

Lee Ann

maryanntex Aug 9th, 2009 02:20 PM

volcano girl, the website I sent has instructions for getting to the Abiquiu Inn. Just click on that option. You have to get yourself to the Inn, but then there is a shuttle (with the tour guide on it) that takes you to the home.

volcanogirl Aug 9th, 2009 03:09 PM

Thanks, guys, I appreciate all these suggestions!

BeachGirl247 Aug 9th, 2009 07:53 PM

Hi elendilpickle! Thanks!

How many days do you have to visit, volcanogirl?

I'll wait to hear before I recommend things to do as there are too many things to do and never enough time to experience Santa Fe and its environs.

volcanogirl Aug 10th, 2009 02:45 AM

We haven't decided anything yet; we're just thinking of taking a trip in the fall - maybe 4 days? We just got back from a big trip to Costa Rica so don't have a ton of vacation left, but would love to do a fall trip.

martym Aug 10th, 2009 05:08 AM

One of my favorite things is a private hot tub (love the waterfall tub) at 10,000 Waves after a day of gallery hopping and before a lovely dinner.

volcanogirl Aug 11th, 2009 01:30 AM

Thanks, guys, what about nature? Isn't there a national park nearby? I think I remember someone mentioning that before.

emalloy Aug 11th, 2009 03:45 AM

For nature, head over to Bandelier NP. It is an hour or so sort of west, has Native American ruins, nice hiking etc. and a separate section of the park called Tsankawi is 5 miles closer to SF and is a fantastic place to hike. There are some pictures of it in my flickr site in the 2008 set at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets if you want to check if that is up your alley. About a half an hour further west towards Jemez is Vales caldera which had loads of elk visible from the road and I think that you can hike in that area too.

Enjoy the trip New Mexico is great.

volcanogirl Aug 11th, 2009 09:03 AM

Thanks, e; your pictures are beautiful!

BeachGirl247 Aug 11th, 2009 02:51 PM

Volcanogirl (and others) Check out the Sept issue of the New Mexican. It's cover article is about the new movie "Georgia O'Keefe" played by Joan Allen and costars Jeremy Irons as Alfred Stieglitz. Lifetime will air it on September 19th.

Ghost Ranch is offering 20 workshops in September (photography, pottery, painting, etc.)
Also, landscape tours and, tours on horseback as well at Ghost Ranch.

Check it out at www.ghostranch.org

New exhibit at Georgia O'Keefe Museum begins Oct 2-Jan 10
"New Mexico & New York: Photographs of Georgia O'Keeffe
www.okeeffemuseum.org

Her studio tour, as well as others included can be found at
www.abiquiustudiotour.org

I'm excited as I'll be out there for the opening weekend at the gallery. :)

anavert Aug 11th, 2009 03:19 PM

We were in SF last week and highly recommend the Intl. Folk Art Museum. It's in the middle of a beautiful residential district and visiting it is like a trip around the world in and of itself. All the times we've been to SF and now find out it's been around since the early 90's!