Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the safest places to stay in Manhattan?

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 06:30 PM
Tulle

Hi. Please don't flame me. I live in a rural area and have to go to Manhattan for a reunion with some college friends. I am very nervous since I have never been there and have heard a lot of stories about crime and violence in New York City. Are there places I should avoid completely? What are some safe areas to stay in that are in Manhattan? My budget under $250 a night.
Trina

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 07:57 PM
David

Anywhere in midtown will be safe. In addition, you shouldn't have too much of problem finding a room for under that amount.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 08:44 PM
Owen O'Neill

The stories you may have heard about crime and violence in Manhattan are frequently exaggerated, may be based on a previous era before Guiliani "cleaned up" NYC and in nearly all cases are related to incidents that occur in areas where you're not going to be visiting or traveling. Use common sense, don't walk alone on deserted side streets late at night. stay out of Central Park after dark, etc. The common sense tips that apply to ANY big city also hold true in NY. You're likely to be surprised at just how comfortable you feel there once you've arrived and gotten oriented. You'll also find that in the busiest and most congested areas where tourists tend to be most prevalent there are uniformed NYPD officers on foot patrol in pairs. In areas of midtown that are busy you're likely to see them literally every few hundred yards. I'd avoid areas west of 9th Avenue late at night, east of 1st Avenue late at night (in lower Manhattan) and north of 95th Street late at night. These are not hard and fast rules and I don't abide by them but if you're looking for peace of mind guidelines these may help a bit.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:31 PM
Emily

I went to NYC last year for the first time, with all the usual apprehensions for my safety. When I left at the end of the week, I had fallen in love with the beauty and excitement and vibrancy of that great city. I think that you're in for the time of your life -- I can't wait to go back myself!

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Gee

QUALITY INN in Midtown.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Sue

Owen's post is excellent. I travel alone to Manhattan several times a year and find I feel very safe in Murray Hill. I especially like the Doral Court Hotel on East 39th Street, which is now known as W The Court, as it is now part of the Starwood group of hotels (www.starwood.com).

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 09:39 AM
Jeanette

Trina: Listen to Owen and all the above and don't be afraid at all. We were a bit apprehensive and had a tremendous time. The only uneasy feeling I got was when I got panhandled a little too close one time. Try the Mayfair on the Internet. You can get a great rate there at times and it is nice. LOTs and LOTs of great places to stay in Midtown for your budget allowance. Got my guy to want to go back and that is a miracle because he is a mountain / outdoor person. 20 year old who met us there, didn't even say hello. First thing he said was- "MOM, this place is all kind of great and it's not even as rough as we are." (Chicago) I don't know about that- because he just saw Manhattan and that's only one of the five boroughs.
But truly you do not have to be afraid at all.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 11:42 AM
lisa

In midtown/theatre district, Hotel Edison is very reasonably priced, well-located, and safe. Rooms are small but most rooms in Manhattan seem to be. www.edisonhotel.com
The Upper West Side is more of a residential neighborhood, very safe -- I really like it there and it's less crowded and touristy than midtown. Try the Hotel Beacon, www.beaconhotel.com. Wherever you choose, ask about discounts and remember to factor in taxes.
SoHo and the Village are also very safe and a lot of fun.
Look at a map of Manhattan and figure out where you and your college friends are going to be getting together and spending most of your time, and what neighborhood would be most convenient.
Have a great time!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 12:38 PM
Elliotti

Well, Manhattan is not what it used to be. Don't worry, we're lovely people. If you want to be safe, just be aware of your surroundings, don't take the subway late at night, and if you ever feel uncomfortable, hail a cab or get into a public area with lots of people.

For your first time in the city, you might want to choose a chain hotel that you are comfortable with. My folks were in town a few weeks ago and stayed at the Sheraton Russell on 37th. The neighborhood is nice and the hotel is quite charming. It was definitely less than $250 a night. I booked it for them through a deal on Sheraton's website.

This place was near to our apartment. There are many high quality hotels in the Central Park area that are also very safe, but might exceed your budget.

HTH.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Lia

I agree that the Sheraton Russell is a lovely hotel in a safe Murray Hill neighborhood and they sometimes have $199/nt specials. But it seems to me that, as a first time tourist, part of the fun of being in the city would be to stay in Midtown or around Times Square which is a lot cleaner and safer than it used to be. If you stay in the popular areas with lots of people around and/or are with your friends, you should be just fine. Have fun!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 03:09 PM
arjay

NYC is great!! However, someone said "be aware of your surroundings," and for a rural person, that might not be self-explanatory. It means, keep a firm grip on your purse at all times (you don't have to clutch it to your bosom in fear, just have it firmly in hand). It means, be aware of who is walking ahead of you, alongside you and behind. If someone acts a little bit hinky, or you get an uncomfortable feeling, trust your instincts and widen the space between you. If someone makes you feel threatened, don't be afraid to make a very loud stir. And LOOK and walk city-smart and confident, even if you aren't. "Bad" people choose their marks carefully, and opt for those who appear out of their element.

Lastly, i would say that you probably will not need any of the foregoing. Most New Yorkers are terrific (forget all those stories of unfriendly city dwellers). And those who aren't -- add color to the city and usually make a good story for laffs with your friends over cocktails.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 03:29 PM
ellen griswold

You have been given some excellent advice! While our family of four prefer long road trips out west, we also travel to NYC every year to see a show or two, shop and generally just get away. You will love it! We're from the midwest and at the beginning of each visit, have always been a little concerned, but then always leave for home wishing we could stay longer!

Use your "street-smarts"/common sense and you'll be fine. You might want to do a search on this forum for some additional excellent information. Have a great time and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 06:52 PM
nanci

Personally, I'd rather be in an area with alot of people, like New York. It just makes sense that it's safer. Statistically, I think crime is on the rise in RURAL areas, not urban. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm sure they will!)