Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What are the best gifts to bring back from Hawaii and where can I buy them?

Jul 16th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

We'll be travelling to Maui, Big Island, Oahu, and Kauai. We want to bring back gifts for our 22 year daughter (just graduated from college), our parents (age 82), and of course some friends and neighbors (all about 50ish). No junky hawaiian trinkets like hula skirts please. What ideas can you give me that were successful for you?
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:52 PM

If you have a Costco membership you can get wonderful food gifts there, not only the standard choc/macadamia nuts, but other candies and goodies. They also have nice Hawaiian clothing, etc. Wal Mart has EVERYTHING! You often can find nice Hawaiian art prints for under $30 (matted), aprons, ceramic trivets. T Shirts and puka shells for your daughter! Honolua Surf Co has nice attire and Hilo Hatties has a huge selection. I bring ladies Hankies for older gals and stock up on wrapping paper flats and postit notes!
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Everyone seemed to like the wood carvings done by hand... though it's pretty heavy to carry back.
Jul 16th, 2003, 12:57 PM

In Lahaina Town (Maui) I found very reasonably priced 14K gold earrings shaped like flowers (hibiscus, and the ones they make leis from - I can't think of the name right now.) They were in all sizes and combinations, some in multi-colored gold. Very Hawaiian, very pretty.

We found such great pareos (sp)that I couldn't decide which to buy. So I have about 4 new ones. My 9 yo got a couple too. Amazingly we did get our favorite ones at an ABC store. Saw a local gal in the one I bought, so I guess everyone shops there!

There's so much crap you can bring back. In Lahaina (Maui) there is a museum store where they sell arts & crafts which are actually made by Hawaiians instead of imported from the Phillipines. Much of the stuff you see in the stores is actually imported.

As far as useful gifts... my coworkers got a kick out of the Hawaiian shirt post-it notes I got them. I also got a notepad that I will affix a magnet to, so that I have a magnetic grocery list for the fridge.

If your family likes treats, macadamia nut cookies are very tasty, I think moreso than the chocolate covered macadamias.

I got a cheap monkeypod wooden bowl & tongs for my sister, but it was an import. I didn't care.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Kal

I make sure I bring them all back an excellent tan and a big hangover.

We did the "bring them back Hawaii stuff" the first few trips over but as the trips were more frequent and the family got larger, we just buy some small stuff for the kei keis.

If you have any young ladies you're buying for there is a "Chicks Who Rip Clothing Co" line of clothing that Mrs Kal frequents.
Pretty cool stuff. Hope it's still open.
In the Coconut Marketplace and maybe a few other locations.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM

For the ladies, when you are on Kauai, make a trip to the spouting horn.

My wife always gets some nice, affordable, but respectable jewelry at the stands there. She also got some lovely, but more expensive authentic Niihau shell necklaces and bracelets there.

In the Kukui Grove shopping mall on kauai near Lihue there is a Kauai products shop where they have an assortment of locally made gifts.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Sam's has huge Hana Bay rum for $13. They also have good deals on chocolate packs.

At the International Marketplace you can talk down the prices of beautiful jewelry. My mom likes their blue pearls.

The best thing to buy is a Hawaiian Heritage bracelet. They will run you about $200 - $800 depending on the weight. I like to go to small jewelers in town on that.

A black Tahitian pearl is a great gift too. $$$

All the art museums have nice items. As do the galleries in Lahaina.

There is a great orchid shop just past Kaneohe towards Chinaman's Hat also. They ship too. Most older ladies adore the rare large orchids.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:16 PM

There are local wines.

And you CAN'T miss the chocolate honus and coffee swirls at Kailua Candy Factory on the Big Island. Awesome!! They ship too.

My mom always likes the Maui Rain perfume.

A young girl would probably like Tahitian coconut oil for her hair or body. Or toe or ankle jewelry.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Don't miss the soap shops in Koloa or Lahaina.

Also the best nice shopping in Oahu would be Ward Warehouse/Center, Ala Moana Mall, Haliewa, or Kahala Mall.

But, don't skip the art shows in the parks on the weekends or maybe even the stadium swap meet. You can find a rare treasure.
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:41 PM

We like to bring back Kona coffee and various coffee-related chachkis, like mugs, aprons, candies, etc. It's light, travels well, and is somewhat cheaper on the BI than on the mainland. Plus, it makes you go up above Kona and tour the coffee plantations, which is a fabulous drive.

Hawaii trinkets are among the best - cool switch plate covers for light switches, almost anything from Hilo Hattie's (the core of kitsch)... go crazy.

Me spouse loves Hawaiian fabric prints and Hawaiian quilts (many $ for the real deal, less for the imports, but still lovely); okay-quality ukeleles are amazingly cheap compared to the mainland, and there are always Hawaiian shirts, the louder the better.
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:59 PM

My 20 year old daughter loved what I brought her back. A pretty pareo and a pearl necklace from Maui Divers.
Jul 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Carved wooden bowls are popular but expensive gifts. Coffee and tropical fruit jams/jellies are less.
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Lava rocks!!!
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:17 PM

I always bring my friends Kona Coffee, which can be found in ABC stores or Longs. The flavored ones are always nice, if you are into that.

Another thing that is really good is a brand called Mele's Secret. www.sweetmeles.com --butters, jams, lip balm. I use the lip balm at my desk at work, it leaves my lips soft and smelling like coconut! If you like more upscale products, there is a brand called Planted by the River that has a passion orange guava spread with li hing mui powder that my coworkers fight over. but that jar is $7!! They have other flavors too. On Maui, my fave soaps are made by a gal named Rhonda and you can find her at selected craft fairs, stores, or at www.kopahaiku.com/

If you like Hawaiian music, CDs are also a good thing to have. Na Leo, Hapa, Kealii Reichel, Brothers Cazimero, or the ukulele genius Jake Shimabukuro.

Did you check the calendar at www.gohawaii.com? If there is a craft fair going on at the time you are in Hawaii, there's always lots of really good stuff.
Jul 16th, 2003, 06:27 PM

There's a great artist place near one of the visitors centers at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. There's also a great art community in the town of Hawi (pronounced Havi), just north of all of the resorts on the Kona side.
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Music by Brother IZ, ask at any music shop--he's a legend. Floral scented lotions by the Island Soap Co. (I liked the Pikake so much, I sent for more by mail). A bouquet of live tropical flowers--if you buy them at the airport they are already inspected for travel to the mainland. Anything from the art show under the Banyan tree in Lahaina. And do I wish I had brought more of the aloha post-it notes and nail files. Silly, but much more fun than yellow and gray!
Jul 16th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Of the gifts I brought back from Maui and Kauai the most popular were the Jams and Jellies from a few different plantations we went to. Also popular was macadamia butter. I would recommend the Saturday market in Kahului. They have all sorts of neat stuff at much better prices than the ABC store or Hilo Hatties. ALOHA!
Jul 16th, 2003, 09:03 PM
TC

We brought back peaberry Kona coffee from Holualoa Kona Coffee Company. You can take a tour of the Kona Lea Plantation where the coffee is grown and roasted. Kona coffee is fantastic, but there's nothing better than peaberry. www.konalea.com

You can also buy amazing orchid plants for practically nothing. I paid $5 each for two huge blooming plants at the Farmers Market on the Big Island. I kept them in my hotel room for the week and then bagged them and carried them home for friends.

Also got some beautiful hand woven baskets, macadamia nuts (gotta have 'em) and coral jewelry is really hot right now. I just brought out my red coral necklace bought years ago in Hawaii and started wearing it again. Lots of compliments on my "trendy" bobble. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO